V for Vendetta...

Sharpshooter005 03-21-2006 11:17 PM
I'd like to say a few things.

First off, the fact that a loose adaptation of a comic book directed by two hacks has now supplanted 1984 by George Orwell in the public conciousness is incredibly depressing.

Secondly, at the risk of sounding like one of "those" people. The proliferation of firearms makes me significantly less fearful the government will all of a sudden get all Combine on us. So...well yeah, the next time someone poses complete and unilateral disarmament, you should weigh it against your apparent terror that a giant boot is going to fall from the sky at any second.

Furthermore...I was told in the '90s the black helicopters were going to get me.

I think I saw one, and I'm pretty sure it was a civillian aircraft..hell it may not have even been black. I think it was cloudy that day.

Now the NSA is supposed to get me, I'm not seeing a shoe print on my door.

Basically...when the other guy is in power, he's going to come get you and everyone who dosen't agree is in the wrong. When your guy is in power? Then the people claiming the sky is falling are lunatics.

See how this goes?

quote:
it appears that no matter where the US stands on a position, we expect everyone else to agree with us...thats why i feel we act like our sh** doesnt stink

And the foreign policy bungle leads directly into me dodging a jackboot at what juncture.....?

I'm not saying its good, I'm not saying its the ideal situation (I've got a concept of the ideal situation which I'll get to momentarily...you'll HATE it.). I'm merely saying I don't see a man with a hat confiscating my property, providing me with a ticket for a bread line, and tracking mud all over my floor.

Now for the ideal situation, or the part where you assume I've lost my mind. Which is completely possible.

In my perfect world. The Soviet Union never fell. They not only took Afghanistan, but without the stinger missile system, the Afghani rebels were annihilated like roaches.

The global mexican standoff continued. Neither side welcoming death, neither side believing that there would be a giant cosmic bonus for entering oblivion.

The old alliegances are still there, the old spheres of influence are still there. Certain countries need the superpower they're aligned with to provide a check against the superpower they're not aligned with.

Impossible? I know it is. I said what would my DREAM be.

Frankly...I fail to see what we've gained. I fail to see what we've gained by assisting lunatics in their fight with the stable, predictable Soviets. I fail to see what good the power vacuum has produced.

Do I hate communism? I'm not a fan. Do I like what the fall of the USSR led to? I think its fairly obvious.
A. Rosewater 03-21-2006 11:19 PM
well im far from the mall goth crowd.....but i guess i can see where you could get that from.

it appears that no matter where the US stands on a position, we expect everyone else to agree with us...thats why i feel we act like our sh** doesnt stink

as the world's only super power we can throw the other countries around until they agree with us
David Ryder 03-21-2006 11:24 PM
quote:
well im far from the mall goth crowd.....but i guess i can see where you could get that from.

Not talking about you, just the tards where I live.

Throw other countries around? again I haven't seen anything thing of that nature. Really I just fail to see how America is such a bad place.
A. Rosewater 03-21-2006 11:36 PM
i apologize...i should try to use more concrete examples

take for instance the current situation in Iran. Iran would like to develop nuclear weapons/energy...the whole nine yards. The US argues they cannot develop nuclear weapons because Iran belongs to the Nonproliferation Treaty (NPT) to limit the spread of nuclear weapons. The US belongs to the treaty, Russia, the UK, etc. simply enough, Iran could withdraw from the treaty. As a soveriegn nation, Iran can pursue whatever policy they wish. Yet, chances are Israel will preemptively bomb Iranian nuclear sites. Israel has a nuclear arsenal. Israel does not belong to the NPT. So why can't Iran build its own nuclear arsenal?

seems to me that the fear of US security is constantly thrown around as justification for actions where we have no idea what could result

If you are going to treat Iran in one way you should hold other nations to the same logic
Sharpshooter005 03-21-2006 11:50 PM
quote:
If you are going to treat Iran in one way you should hold other nations to the same logic

Thats nice in theory.

Lets talk about The Mahdi shall we?

The Mahdi is a figure in Islamic eschatology. A very brief summary of his importance, is that the Mahdi will lead the world into a perfect Islamic society before the last judgement.

Guess whos really keen on this whole Mahdi buisness. If you guessed Iranian President Ahmadinejad, you win a washer/dryer.

I hear alot of people saying Bush's constant mention of his faith is somewhat troubling. I can understand where they're coming from.

So...you can see how Ahmadinejad is a bit vexing to me.

When you mention being surrounded by a strange glow? I don't really like the idea of you being near something which can actually give something a strange glow.

quote:
chances are Israel will preemptively bomb Iranian nuclear sites.

Fingers crossed.
David Ryder 03-21-2006 11:53 PM
quote:
So why can't Iran build its own nuclear arsenal?

Most likey because They want a world without zionism as they say, in other words they want the jews and Israel wiped out, but as a "soveriegn nation", I guess it's their right to spout hateful bull like that right? It's all a matter of what you do with it, the US build up it's arsenal because of the hold cold war deal, Iran however wants to wipe out the US, Israel, and Europe, you know, us "Infidels".

quote:
Yet, chances are Israel will preemptively bomb Iranian nuclear sites.

I'm with sharp on this one. *crosses fingers* "Oh yeah, those jews can fight."
A. Rosewater 03-22-2006 12:08 AM
dont get me wrong...im just trying to stimulate some political discourse here

but Iran isnt allowed to build up its own nuclear energy program....which is a pillar of the NPT.

funny how far off topic we have reached

i am aware of the whole 12th imam debate...how he'll show up one day for the shi'as, etc etc....same argument as jesus coming back one day though, just with a muslim twist

Iran's president may be a devote follower, but what about ould george w?...he's the guy that talks to god and god said he should invade iraq
David Ryder 03-22-2006 12:18 AM
quote:
nuclear energy program

I love how they still keep saying that's all it is, however I would have no problem with that if their leader wasn't such a crazoid. "OMFG but G.W!" really who pays attention to what he says now a days, I admit George is less than sane, however he doesn't want to exterminate other races, big big difference.

although we've gone off topic a bit, I'm surprised how this is.
A. Rosewater 03-22-2006 12:23 AM
quote:
however he doesn't want to exterminate other races, big big difference

good point....but old georgey boy is far from moral superiority

this all stems from a much larger historical problem we all know as the Arab-Israeli conflict. they've been trying to solve this one for some time...doubt we could hammer out a resolution easily considering all of the ethnic groups it encompasses
Fujiko 03-22-2006 12:34 AM
Um, back on topic...

I saw it tonight. I'm not familiar with the comic, but I did like watching the movie. I thought it was pretty cool. Big Grin
Blue Crow 03-22-2006 12:11 PM
good thing we're staying on the topic.

anyways, i might be going to see this tonight or this weekend. i'm somewhat excited.

-BC
Mike 03-22-2006 06:25 PM
Or as it's known in Mexico, B for Bendetta.
Generalissimo D 03-22-2006 07:11 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Mike
Or as it's known in Mexico, B for Bendetta.

...No.
DorothyFan1 03-25-2006 08:27 PM
As soon as I heard the Big W were attached to this project a while back...I immediately vowed NOT to see the movie. It turns out I was right to save my money. In my opinion, the Big W totally RUINED the Matrix franchise (the first one is a classic sullied by the ridiculousness of Reloaded(the idiot who follows Neo around says it all) and the travesty of Revolutions (Trinity dies yet AGAIN?! plus the silly repetitive CGI wire fu fighting).

After having my faith in the Matrix philosophy trashed by the Big W...I decided not to put up with their baloney and kept my credit card safely tucked away.

Anyway, onto Vendetta. I'm glad, GLAD I didn't see this horse manure. It's proof positive that the Big W lost their touch (I don't care what the apologists for the Big W say). I hope and PRAY to GOD the Big W don't come close to one of the best comic graphic novels I've read in a long time...SHI by Dark Horse Comics. This one goes to either Tarantino or Frank Miller for big screen adaptation. Period; Only these two directors can do justice to this graphic novel. And I'd like to scream out one actress for the title role: Reiko Ayglesworth (Michelle Dessler from FOX's hit show 24).

Last thing...although I didn't see Vendetta (didn't have to...I "saw" the movie via the stupid trailers)...I LOVE that mask. I'd love to get that mask for myself. Does anybody know where I can buy this beautiful mask online? Would make a great Halloween treat.
Sharpshooter005 03-25-2006 08:56 PM
quote:
I LOVE that mask.

I'll admit the mask looks great.

quote:
Trinity dies yet AGAIN?!

The final count for trinity dying wound up at..what...two or three right? Yeah it really removed whatever impact it had once they just reversed it the first time.

quote:
silly repetitive CGI wire fu fighting

This is what I never understood. One of the things people liked about the first one was the action scenes, because to be honest the plot was..moderately intriguing at its best points.

So how do they ride that wave? They make it as lame as possible in future sequels.

quote:
I don't care what the apologists for the Big W say).

Well lets see...the aplogists line for the matrix was "Man, you just didn't GET what they were saying!!!"

For V it's apparently shaping up to be "IT'S A PRESCIENT MESSAGE. I WON'T TELL YOU HOW, OR MAKE ANY ACTUAL PARALLELS ASIDE FROM VAGUE AND WATERY COMPARISONS BETWEEN MY CHOSEN POLITICAL RIVAL AND HITLER, BUT UHH...HEY YOU'RE PART OF THE PROBLEM!!!"

In a way I wish they'd released this prior to that "revolution" at the white house we had a thread on (the one which never happened).

A bunch of wachowksi fanboys being machinegunned for crossing over the fence and screaming "lol red pill guyz"? Society and cinema win.

quote:
I've got two of the movie replica ones and about 30 of the cheap plastic ones.

And apparently some special edition of MGS3 subsistence. So I'm officially jealous.
Travis Bickle 03-25-2006 09:24 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Sharpshooter005
quote:
I LOVE that mask.

I'll admit the mask looks great.

I've got two of the movie replica ones and about 30 of the cheap plastic ones. The mask does indeed kick ass.
Mike 03-25-2006 09:38 PM
Wait a minute...if you didn't see it, how do you it's horse manure? True, the Wachowskis screwed up the Matrix, but from the reviews I read, V for Vendetta is a fairly good movie. Not the Ultimate Movie, and it's very different from the comics, but as a standalone movie it's not half bad. At least that was what IGN and some other sites I read said.
DorothyFan1 03-25-2006 10:22 PM
I know it's horse manure because I saw the trailers rammed down my throat wherever I went. No matter where my eyeballs went...there was the Vendetta trailer. I "saw" the movie via the trailer because that's what movie studios do to get people to the theaters...show the "gee wiz" aspect of the movie (thereby ruining the best part even before you sit down to watch it when you do whip out that credit card.).

I've lost my faith in established reviewers. Plus I realized I don't need their opinions anymore because I simply browse to MRQE and glance at the "grades" given to the movie by the various reviewers without reading the detailed explanations. If a movie is mostly Cs or Ds...I'm not seeing it. If the movie gets a mix mash of Bs, and Cs...I tend to listen to word of mouth before I decide to see it. But the critical point here is the actors involved. If I like the actors hired for the movie...I'd be willing to hold my nose to see it...provided I felt it worth my while to do this. On the other hand..if my favorite actor is in a movie I can see is a stinker a mile away...I won't watch it...even if my favorite actor is headlining the bomb.

I can tell you right now...I won't be watching X-Men 3 and Superman Returns because the script spoilers I've read made me realize the producers of these two summer "blockbusters" are rehashing old plotlines without injecting anything new. I can also say from reading various sites that I'm getting sour on Spiderman 3 because apparently the Lizard isn't the villain chosen to oppose Spiderman.
spoiler (highlight to read):
It's Sandman and Venom
Sin City 2 has already lost appeal to me because of the horrendous hiring of Angelina Jolie for the title character. Alot of these movies lose my interest becausing of poor casting, rehashed storylines and poor directing.
Sharpshooter005 03-25-2006 10:25 PM
quote:
Sin City 2 has already lost appeal to me because of the horrendous hiring of Angelina Jolie for the title character.

If I'd read the comic (which I haven't) maybe I'd be more worried. Is the character she's playing anything like the one Jessica Alba played in the first movie? IE: She's just expected to sort of stand there and look nice?

Oh well...ninjas on rollerblades, so it can't be all bad.
Generalissimo D 03-25-2006 10:31 PM
quote:
Originally posted by DorothyFan1
I know it's horse manure because I saw the trailers rammed down my throat wherever I went. No matter where my eyeballs went...there was the Vendetta trailer. I "saw" the movie via the trailer because that's what movie studios do to get people to the theaters...show the "gee wiz" aspect of the movie (thereby ruining the best part even before you sit down to watch it when you do whip out that credit card.).

You're an idiot.