Does BIG-O's current lack of closure bother you?

Paradigm Dog 03-14-2006 10:34 AM
After having seen the anime RahXephon, some of which was written by BIG-O's very own Chiaki J. Konaka, I've been increasingly bothered by BIG-O's lack of closure. It's not that the BIG-O has simply a vague ending, but the fact that its vague ending, no matter how many times it's gone over, cannot come to a decisive conclusion on some of its most fundamental plot points...

All the beautiful build-up in BIG-O just kind of gets left hanging; whereas, in RahXephon, you get, argueably, a perfect ending that matches the build-up majestically.

It didn't bug me so much when I figured Season 3 would happen not long after Season 2 (as reported as a likely possibility during Season 2's run by TVWeek, ANN, and even AS Bumpers). However, it's been a while, and I see a deep anime like RahXephon with similar themes to BIG-O have this great closure. Its ending is a bit abstract, sure, but it can be figured out conclusively. The same can't be said for BIG-O.

So, is anyone else troubled by BIG-O's lack of closure. I feel it kind of hurts the series' standing in the long run for the viewer...It's like this bitter aftertaste to a great beverage or food...
Travis Bickle 03-14-2006 10:51 AM
Am I BOTHERED by it? No. Do I stay up at nights worrying about it? No.

Do I think it could have ended a little bit better? Maybe. However, the whole second season was badass. Especially near the end. Dastun being in the movie. Angel realizing her entire past is fake. Everything was badass.

It ended kinda weakly (especially the very, unaired end with a watchless Roger), but meh. Nothing to really get pissed about. Though a third season would be nice.

Personally, I think some people take the whole "ZOMG SPACEDOME!1!1!" thing too seriously, as well as the third season. Sure, the ending wasn't the best (neither was FMA's, but meh), and a bit more could be added on. But I don't think anything being done at, say, a certain other website would help/is helping.
Randolph 03-14-2006 12:21 PM
I frankly didn't care for Season 2. I feel like Big O more or less ended in Act 13, rather than Act 26.

When Season 2 started, the theme and attitude of the show just wasn't the same. It got much more serious, the animation style changed, and a lot of the characters changed in ways I didn't care for.

Roger Smith was suave, casual and cool at first. In Season 2, while he did grow as a character, he lost a lot of the traits that made him the Roger Smith I knew.

Worst of all was the digitally-animated art style. It just didn't feel like Big O anymore. It was like I was watching someone else's Big O, not the one I had begun watching from Act 1.

Couple that with an ending that made almost no damn sense at all, no matter how hard I think about it, and I think I was fairly dissatisfied with Season 2.

It pains me to think about what a third season would bring. If it's anything like S2 was, I don't think I want it. I really don't think it can get better from here on out.

So, closure? None. None at all. I don't worry about it, I don't fret over it, but I don't have any at all.
Mr. Peabody 03-14-2006 03:13 PM
The ending of Season 2 is like the Elizabethan plays that caused their audiences to riot: There's no explanation. There's no closure. Our time, emotions, and money went to waste.

We want Season 3! Mad
David Ryder 03-14-2006 04:08 PM
I wouldn't mind a season 3 as season 2 was an extreamly mixed bag of either great or just downright awful. But the real question is, is it going to get done, and at this point and time.... *shakes magic 8 ball* .....Don't count on it.

quote:
But I don't think anything being done at, say, a certain other website would help/is helping.

gotta agree on that...but beware CT they could deliver a truck load of tomatoe's to your house/apartment/dorm.
Nine Kuze 03-14-2006 04:50 PM
quote:
Am I BOTHERED by it? No. Do I stay up at nights worrying about it? No.

You're not? Because I've lost so many nights wondering about Act 26.

No, I think that the Big O ending wasn't perfect and it felt rushed but I do like the ending of it more or less. Although it was left way too wide open, even for its own good, I thought the ending was fine as it answers some questions but leaves a dozen more mysteries in its place which is cool for me.

I still like the ending of Big O (like the underwater/hidden Angel memory sequence was one of the best things I've seen in anime) and I keep asking this; what would they show in a Season 3 since everything was already revealed. Not revealed in the best way mind you, but revealed nonetheless.
Peace.
bsu 03-14-2006 05:09 PM
*shrugs* While there's a part of me that would like to see new episodes because I love the characters and want to see more of them, overall I'm actually fine with the ending we got. It was confusing as hell, yes, but it can be fanwanked into making at least a little sense. Honestly, what I'm most afraid of is that if we did get another season, we'd find out that everyone did lose their memories again. I would absolutely hate that, because it would negate all of the character growth that happened over the first two seasons. And really, what was the point of even going through all of that in the first place if they're just going to make everyone forget in the end?

So I'd much rather stay in my fanwank bubble world and believe that at least the main characters got to keep their memories after the reset and therefore everything stil has some signifigance.
6 moon dance 03-14-2006 05:44 PM
Cerpin Text wrote
quote:
But I don't think anything being done at, say, a certain other website would help/is helping.

What would you suggest? I'm not being sarcastic. Those of us at certain other websites know a lot but we don't know everything at least I don't know everything. If you or anyone else out there has suggestions on more effective ways to go about getting a third season of Big O please post, I'd sincerely love to hear your ideas.
David Ryder 03-14-2006 05:54 PM
quote:
What would you suggest?

In all honesty, I would try someone else, because it's been made quite clear that CN isn't going to do it, for what like 3-4 years now? that's all I can really suggest.
R. Daniel Olk 01 03-14-2006 06:31 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Peabody
The ending of Season 2 is like the Elizabethan plays that caused their audiences to riot: There's no explanation. There's no closure. Our time, emotions, and money went to waste.

We want Season 3! Mad

You kidding me? There's closure and it all makes sense. Sure, the true nature of Paradigm City is left unexplained, but that's part of the theme of the entire show!

I just don't think the writers gave us the right kind of closure...

About other people to ask, I know of the Anime Network and G4, but that's it.
Schwarzwald_X 03-14-2006 06:40 PM
O.K.... People are going to hate me for this... but....

The ending to Season 2 sucked. It made little sense and it raised too many questions. That said, I don't want a season 3. Why? Glad you asked. Personally, I think season two was pretty crappy in contrast to season one. The second season lost that Big O feel (At least for me)... and to see the series go downhill any further would be blasphemy. Thus, I'm anti-season 3. Plus, what fun would the series be if all the questions were answered?

In summary:
Season 1>Season 2
Season 3... Frown ... no thanks.
But... that's just my opinion. Most will probably disagree.
Randolph 03-14-2006 06:47 PM
Frankly, Schwarzwald X, I agree wholeheartedly.

A third season would be a bad idea. The original, "authentic" Big O was animated using cels. If they made a third season, they would use crappy digital animation, invariably. Same as what they did to Season 2.

Now granted, that's a minor issue on the whole, considering the issues of plot and character growth; neither of which can be further pursued, thanks to Season 2's thorough fatalism of the cast.

I'm really getting rather wordy on this subject. I shouldn't be, but I am out of spite. So I shall summarize my point, as concisely as I can:

"Season 1 was the real Big O. Season 2 ended things poorly. Season 3 should never be touched upon for that reason."
David Ryder 03-14-2006 06:49 PM
since when does digital animation become a make or break type of thing? As much as I love Trigun it used "authentic" hand drawn animation and looked like total ass. *points at triguns animation and laughs* ok end off topic.
Schwarzwald_X 03-14-2006 06:49 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Randolph
"Season 1 was the real Big O. Season 2 ended things poorly. Season 3 should never be touched upon for that reason."

There's no better way to say it. Season 2 was poor- a season 3 could be abysmal. I'm glad to find someone who agrees.

Gaddes:
For me, part of Big O's charm was its cel-shading. The animation style fit the series perfectly. Season 2's 'better' animation took a lot away from the show's feel. As far as Trigun goes- it's animation isn't the best, but Trigun was a much better show than Big O season 2.
paul1290 03-14-2006 06:52 PM
Heck yea in bothers me!

I want a 3rd season really really badly!!!

Bye the way, what's all this talk about season 2 not being like season 1? Yes I know they were different, but I didn't think they were all that different. Even if there were some changes in season 2 it was still Big-O. Of course, that's just what I think.
David Ryder 03-14-2006 06:58 PM
quote:
Trigun was a much better show than Big O season 2.

Trigun's a better show that Big-O as a whole honestly. Gasp the Blasphemy. Tongue
paul1290 03-14-2006 07:00 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Gaddes
quote:
Trigun was a much better show than Big O season 2.

Trigun's a better show that Big-O as a whole honestly. Gasp the Blasphemy. Tongue

I don't know wether your being sarcastic or being serious.
Schwarzwald_X 03-14-2006 07:01 PM
I personally liked Big O season 1 more than Trigun as a whole- but that's not the point. I suppose I just love Big O enough to let it go. Any further continuation of the story would be chaos... and possibly crap.
Randolph 03-14-2006 07:04 PM
Talking about animation...
The style of animation can be a large part of an anime's attitude.

Big O 1 used cel animation. This gives it a warm, homely, comfortable feel, like your really watching a drawing come to life. I associate this style with anime that intends to express itself in way that the audience should care about, and be emotionally attached to.
Now, this is variable. Some shows have cel shading and you couldn't care less.

Excel Saga uses digital animation. This works fine for the show because it's cheaper and less warm, giving a slightly more tense feel. Using effects like computer-rotation and scaling also help the show's silly atmosphere. While there are some moments of intense drama, the show still feels fairly artificial-- which is exactly what it was meant to be.

Now, of course I'm no authority. But these are my feelings on this matter, and I stand behind them strongly.
David Ryder 03-14-2006 07:08 PM
quote:
I don't know wether your being sarcastic or being serious.

Dead serious my friend. Trigun > Big O in my honest opininon. Trigun always will be number one to me, as I love everything about it.