Germany??

Robot7290 03-13-2006 09:36 PM
There is a lot of German stuff in the Big O.

...wow that statement was shallow Big Grin .

What I am focusing on is when Roger and Dastun are looking at Seebach's file, they refer to him as German. I thought this wasn't supposed to be in the story, as if anything outside the domes simply "doesn't exist". I can almost blame this on the writers experimenting with the tentative plot, but I'm not quite sure. Maybe you guys can shine some light on this.

P.S. If this has been already answered, I apologize. This is my first post in a while, so I'm a little groggy if you know what I mean XD
Hobodoken 03-13-2006 09:47 PM
I think they know of different sub-sects of people. There was the Japanese dome in... Act 18 maybe? Whichever was Beck filler in Season 2.
Spoderman 03-13-2006 10:43 PM
Beck-Filler lol... that episode was hilarious.

It was a stab at the Japanese audience, because Big O had a mediocre run in Japan.
evanASF27 03-14-2006 12:20 AM
What I think is the case, is that people in Paradigm City (well some of them at any rate) remember what "used to" be in the rest of the world (other nations, languages, and people)...but the rest of the world was decimated so only Paradigm remains, but its people can still remember that there were people called "Germans" and a "Japanese" culture.
R. Daniel Olk 01 03-14-2006 02:20 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Spoderman

It was a stab at the Japanese audience, because Big O had a mediocre run in Japan.

Hilarious, with the extra bonus of patriotic pride, yeaar! Take that, Beck the Great RX3!
Spoderman 03-15-2006 01:20 AM
Yeah I really liked the part where Big O punched out Beck's Robot, then donned an Uncle Sam hat as 3 F-22's flew around, trailing Red, White, and Blue smoke, as fireworks exploded in the background and seventeen marching bands paraded around, playing "Stars and Stripes Forever." That part was sweet.
Chitter-Box-Kat 04-12-2006 05:22 AM
Am I the only one who thinks Big O was under competition by another robot show? Posibly Transformers or even Gundam? 'Cause in the episode, Beck's latest scrap heap, sorry, robot, is able to split into three veichles. O.O

And then they do the weird thing with the sword... o.O

And BTW, does anybody know what those three Japanese guys keep saying to Roger when the lead him through the building? 'Cause I don't speak Japanese and I want to know what those anoying guys are saying. --.--;

As far as the German thing goes ... ... ... I got nothing. Tongue

Chitter-Box-Cat
Gummibear 04-12-2006 07:13 AM
As for the German my guess is it's used because it is a very mechanical language.
Pygmalion 04-13-2006 01:09 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Chitter-Box-Kat
Am I the only one who thinks Big O was under competition by another robot show? Posibly Transformers or even Gundam? 'Cause in the episode, Beck's latest scrap heap, sorry, robot, is able to split into three veichles. O.O

And then they do the weird thing with the sword... o.O

I think it was a parody of sentai anime, like the series that have come here under the rubric "Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers." Certainly the end of that scene was straight out of Raiders of the Lost Ark:

quote:
And BTW, does anybody know what those three Japanese guys keep saying to Roger when the lead him through the building? 'Cause I don't speak Japanese and I want to know what those anoying guys are saying. --.--;

"Dozo, dozo [indistinct]. Puleezu, puleezu" or "please" four times.

Pygmalion
Chitter-Box-Kat 04-13-2006 02:06 PM
Muchas gracias. Smile

Parodies are fun becasue they are yet another way to make fun of something. Tongue

Citter-Box-Cat
SEELE 08 04-14-2006 09:13 AM
I find it interesting that they knew what a German was but they didn't reconginze the French Women in Winter Night Phantom.
Lost_Cyborg 04-14-2006 02:33 PM
quote:

*lol* It was the big dramatic 'Transformers/power-rangers' robot sequance then... Poof! No more robot Big Grin
Generalissimo D 04-14-2006 03:17 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Lost_Cyborg
quote:

*lol* It was the big dramatic 'Transformers/power-rangers' robot sequance then... Poof! No more robot Big Grin

I love that because it was also showing how much more seriously the show takes itself.
Demosthenes 04-21-2006 07:14 PM
There are many references to germans:
Seebach is German
Schwartzwald is german for Black Forest
The Red Ballon is a reference to 99 red ballons, which is a german(originally)song
It has been said that Alex Rosewater is akin to Adolf Hitler, though only speculation
Metropolis, the book that Roger receives from Gorden, is also a title of the first Science-Fiction Movies which was made in Germany. Much of the Big O is based on that movie.
There are many others, such as certain quotes, that have been brought up before. Its just been too long to remember all of them
Lost_Cyborg 04-22-2006 06:20 AM
Originally posted by cudailike
There are many references to germans:
Seebach is German
Schwartzwald is german for Black Forest
The Red Ballon is a reference to 99 red ballons, which is a german(originally)song I think that referance is more to do with the content in the song, I've never heard the German and I wouldn't understand it anyway, but I think the content is pretty similar.
It has been said that Alex Rosewater is akin to Adolf Hitler, though only speculation Na, anyone can imitate Hitler with some practice and I personaly can't see any similaritys, past Alex thinking of himeself as a God on Earth (to paraphrase), but there have been tons of people like that, Alex reminds me less of Hitler and more of 'some' American presidents.
Metropolis, the book that Roger receives from Gorden, is also a title of the first Science-Fiction Movies which was made in Germany. Much of the Big O is based on that movie. But it's also well known all over the world. I knew about it before I knew it was German (many years ago)
There are many others, such as certain quotes, that have been brought up before. Its just been too long to remember all of them
Jstar136 04-22-2006 11:06 AM
I'm not sure you guys have noticed, but Alan uses a golden Luger during his fights. That's a strictly german weapon as well.
Lost_Cyborg 04-22-2006 11:40 AM
That's true... But if we round things up, most of that is 'bad guy' stuff in Paradigm, it might just be the writers/artists didn't like Germany... Or they did like Germany had a fondness for the characters ^^
I doubt there is anything deep in it unless they're leaning towards (Neo?) Nazism or World War 2 for some reason, which I somehow doubt, because The Union seems to represent The European Union, which was founded in November, 1993, much later than the apparent setting of Big O, unless Paradigm is in a time bubble (different to the outside) and The Union’s country/countries are in a different time.

Did that make sence?
Demosthenes 04-22-2006 12:52 PM
For the WWII thing, the Flashback in Ep 12 seems like the blitz to me. . .
Lost_Cyborg 04-22-2006 02:25 PM
Blitzkrieg? Not necessarily, as long as the law against (legally) using Nuclear Weapons in wars holds out then ‘traditional’ bombs might/will still is used, which can give the impression of the scenes from e.g. Blitzed London. Of course, we also have to allow for artistic license, images of London and other Blitzed cities were probably used as reference, cities in that situation are much of a much-ness.
Demosthenes 04-24-2006 08:08 PM
I only said it was speculated that alex was like hitler. The only time I thought that was with when he said 'I will purify this world!' or something to that effect. If you notice, the Military Police wear trench coats, which was a favorite of the german army. Again, speculation.