Episode 50 Discussion: "Death"

Shredder 03-11-2006 10:41 PM
It's almost time for the second to last episode of FMA. This episode is excellent and very artistically well done, so I won't say much about it other than don't miss it! Enjoy.
NVWC2006 03-11-2006 11:28 PM
wow... i've missed like the past 2 weeks.. but this makes up for it...

i'm not entirely sure what went on w/ed going to the other side, w/the body exchanges and whatever, though..

and i am completely lost w/why Al has been activated, or why Rose is letting her baby be used as fresh meat to activate the Gate...

i really want to see Pride get pwnzorzed right now..
Xero-Hour 03-11-2006 11:30 PM
....ok that was ....intresting ...Pride kicks ass
Jstar136 03-11-2006 11:45 PM
NOOOO!

The episode is given its name for a reason!

Envy's true nature is finally revealed and a HUMONGOUS plot point is revealed! I didn't see that one coming. I'm pretty sure zeppelins weren't used as actual weapons of war. I know they were armed, but weren't they used for recon mostly?

Archinator is some kind of god with his armor. And those soldiers are really dumb.
Sephiroth 03-11-2006 11:49 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Xero-Hour
....ok that was ....intresting ...Pride kicks ass

Yes, Pride does kick ass (Much more in the manga though, multiple swords you know). Anywho, Great episode. Awesome fight between Pride and Mustang, which can only get better. Archer has gone completely nuts, and actually creeped me out with his last line. Speaking of creepy, Gluttony really freaks me out now. I miss his old form.

Hoenhiem was cool in this episode, though it's a shame that he has to stay over on the other side of the gate. I was glad that Ed returned, though I was less pleased that he was impaled by Envy, since I freaking hate that guy. His true form was interesting though (not as good as the manga yet again though), and we finally get to see the reason he hates Hoenhiem so much. Pretty interesting that he's basically Ed's half brother.

Great episode though, cannot wait for the next, and last, one.
Raven 03-12-2006 12:06 AM
Wow, Envy pwned Ed almost as bad as he did Hughes. That was another great episode, glad the series finally picked up after that really slow stretch near the middle of the series. We also finally got to learn Dr. Marco's fate, thugh I'm not too surprised. I can't wait to see what happens with Mustang and Pride in the next episode.
evanASF27 03-12-2006 12:07 AM
Wow..... this episode raised such mixed emotions. Nearly the same explosion I felt as I had after TBO SeasonII...

I mean...take what Hoenheim said about the other world (our world) and their world. The deaths from inside the gate fuel the alchemy on the other side. In one light this information was a "eureka" moment for me, but it also was a very very morbid and sombre. Not only in that instance but the mixed feeling of pain and excitement when Ed's other self died, allowing him to return back to Central.

The questio remains....will Ed's soul disappear, will it somehow be bound to something via a circle (like how Al is fixed to the armor), or will it go back through The Gate?
piccorotto 03-12-2006 02:45 AM
I don't think his soul'd go through the Gate to our world, since the only reason ours go to theirs is because alchemists there pull the energy of them through using the Gates. Since alchemy doesn't exist in our world, there's nothing to pull his soul through the Gate. So... he should just die. I can't wait to see how he gets out of this one though.. -.-

Excellent animation during both fight scenes, as usual for this anime. I have to say, the part I liked the most was Ed beating the shiznite out of Envy as he kept changing to all those different people. Then came Roy and Ed said, ".....you couldn't have made this any easier for me!" XD

I was saddened by what happened to Gluttony though... I mean, he never did much to make me like him, but I always had a soft spot for him, especially after Lust died. This, combined with his temporary absence in the manga, make me very.... missing of him...

And as a final note... I agree with Sephiroth. Manga-Envy's true form is way better IMO. As is Manga-Bradley's usage of 2 and even 4 swords at once (somehow... he does carry 4 at times though..)
Xero-Hour 03-12-2006 03:40 AM
Archer pissed me off , the metal part of his mouth is reacting like flesh , its automail not flesh and bone Mad
Wingnut 03-12-2006 12:46 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Jstar136
NOOOO!

The episode is given its name for a reason!

Envy's true nature is finally revealed and a HUMONGOUS plot point is revealed! I didn't see that one coming. I'm pretty sure zeppelins weren't used as actual weapons of war. I know they were armed, but weren't they used for recon mostly?

Archinator is some kind of god with his armor. And those soldiers are really dumb.

Zeppelins were used as bombing platforms in WWI, however their effectiveness was rather limited.
evanASF27 03-12-2006 02:34 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Wingnut
Zeppelins were used as bombing platforms in WWI, however their effectiveness was rather limited.

they did make awesome fireworks displays until they discovered helium was better over hydrogen Big Grin
Phantom X 03-12-2006 02:57 PM
Do you really think Dante will let the one peice of Hoenhiem left die? I think not. I was also glad to see Rose snap out of whatever she was in and realize Ed might be gone. Now with the whole Mustang and Pride battle, I think Prides son is going to get involved and give Mustang leverage....or kill him. Either way, I dont think anyone will emerge from this fight victorious.
NVWC2006 03-12-2006 03:30 PM
quote:
Originally posted by piccorotto
And as a final note... I agree with Sephiroth. Manga-Envy's true form is way better IMO. As is Manga-Bradley's usage of 2 and even 4 swords at once (somehow... he does carry 4 at times though..)

spoiler (highlight to read):
while i haven't seen the manga, Envy's true form is a huge lizard, right? that is his true form, here too.. this is the form of the human he came from, his original face, but as a homonculous, he still has that lizard form. he appears like that in the movie.
Nine Kuze 03-12-2006 03:36 PM
quote:
Envy: "Hohenheim never told you what happened to your older brother, did he?"
Ed: "I don't know anything about an older brother."
Envy: "Edward, I AM YOUR BROTHER!"
Ed: "NOOOOOOOO! That's impossible!"

God damn! I've been waiting for this episode for such a long time and its such a joy to see it. Actually, truth be told, I'm watching it right now. Big Grin

- For the record, Pride's son does get involved. He accidently hands over Pride's secret treasure (his skull) over to Roy and he uses it to kill him. But Pride is going f*** him up like you know what.

- Actually, Alphonse does to Edward what he did four years ago when they transmuted their mother. Except, with Edward's body still in this realm, Alphonse's does a better job than his brother. Then in turn, Edward uses himself as a sacrifice to bring back Al's body and soul to this realm again. Thus, completing the first ever successful human transmutation.

The manga King Bradley (known as Wrath there but Pride here) is sweeter with the four badass sabers he carries with him. And you guys are making a mistake about Envy; what he revealed was his true human form. His real form is going to be revealed in the last episode (I think. I'm pretty sure about that.) Homonculi have a human form when they're fed incomplete Philosopher's Stones but they have a another true form before that (remember Sloth's form when the boys first made her in the episode "Sealing the Homonculus").

Edward and Hohenheim's talk was very interesting, about the truth of Alchemy and how it is actually used, the two worlds being the same except for no alchemy over here and why Hohenheim actually left in the first place. But two things are buggin' the hell out of me; how has Hohenheim maintained that same body for such a long period of time? From Envy's true face and what Dante said, Hohenheim has had that body for around 400 years. So why is it suddenly starting to decay so rapidly all of a sudden? And also, why did Winston Churchill want Hohenheim and what the hell for? Just seemed very odd to me.

quote:
I have to say, the part I liked the most was Ed beating the shiznite out of Envy as he kept changing to all those different people. Then came Roy and Ed said, ".....you couldn't have made this any easier for me!"

That was a fun and damn good part. Big Grin
Peace.
Sephiroth 03-12-2006 04:38 PM
quote:
Originally posted by NVWC2006
quote:
Originally posted by piccorotto

while i haven't seen the manga, Envy's true form is a huge lizard, right? that is his true form, here too.. this is the form of the human he came from, his original face, but as a homonculous, he still has that lizard form. he appears like that in the movie.

No no, you misunderstand.
Envy's true form is not the giant serpant like in the movie. In fact, it's totally different. He is a giant monster yes, but he is covered with screaming faces, and he has a human/serpantine face. He walks on all fours, and is still capable of human speech. The movie version is almost 100% different. Plus, he wouldn't have an original face, since the circumstances of Homunculi creation are completely different in the manga.

I posted a picture of his manga form in the Greed Vs. Envy thread I believe.
Ano Hito 03-12-2006 09:45 PM
Very cool episode that suddenly makes me want to learn more about Envy. I wonder if he was actually a benevolent person in life like the mother of the Elric bros. who slowly grew resentful over time, or if he was always a conniving bastard.
Xero-Hour 03-13-2006 12:06 AM
So noone besids me was disapointed that metal portion of Archers mouth moved like flesh ?
Nine Kuze 03-13-2006 12:26 PM
quote:
So noone besids me was disapointed that metal portion of Archers mouth moved like flesh ?

Oh no, I found that to be very annoying as well. It didn't piss me off really but I found to be unneccassary and just kind of stupid.

quote:
Originally by Ano Hito
Very cool episode that suddenly makes me want to learn more about Envy. I wonder if he was actually a benevolent person in life like the mother of the Elric bros. who slowly grew resentful over time, or if he was always a conniving bastard.

As much of a bastard that he is, I am also very interested in Envy's past and with his relationship with Hohenheim. It sucks that through the entire series (until the movie), we don't see the two of them encounter each other. Here's something interesting that I read a while back on another forum; Dante said that her and Hohenheim's son died of mercury poisioning, which is I suppose known as an important element in alchemic experiments. What if Hohenheim was conducting experiments on his son and he dead because of that? Then, he tried human transmutation, created Envy, left him and Dante and started his family with Trisha Elric. Just a kind of random thought but I liked it and it would make a lot more sense on why Envy is hell bent on hating and killing Hohenheim.

Anyway, as much as it was cool seeing Envy's real face, he's still a bitch. Like what me and Sephiroth have been saying for a long time, he's a little punk because he's just mad that his daddy left him and that he has two other sons (which are cooler than him by the way) that he loves more.

Also, Ano Hito, I'm going to have to go with conniving bastard on this part.

Anyway, about Envy's true non-human appearance, yeah Sephiroth posted it in the Envy vs. Greed thread (still going with Greed) and here it is in the manga.

That's a badass form but I'm waiting to see Envy's true self in the anime, which I think should be shown in the last episode coming up.
Peace.
piccorotto 03-13-2006 04:30 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Nine XXVI
quote:

Oh no, I found that to be very annoying as well. It didn't piss me off really but I found to be unneccassary and just kind of stupid.

Maybe the covering of metal around his mouth and jaw are made of a strong, yet still malleable aluminum, and underneath are the actual hinges and whatever that hold it together and allow movement? : /

I thought it was kinda cool myself though. XP
Gato Gurl914 03-13-2006 04:33 PM
i just felt that so much happened so fast. i mean, he comes back only to die? kinda rushed if you ask me.