[Question] Who do I have to bribe and with what amount in order to...

X Prime 03-11-2006 04:55 AM
...get signature character limits for Veterans raised to 500?

(The title's a joke. This is a suggestion. Mainly because choosing a different font alone can eat around a good 30 characters or so. Let's not even get into hyperlinks.)
The Fallen Phoenix 03-11-2006 02:03 PM
quote:
Originally posted by X Prime
...get signature character limits for Veterans raised to 500?

(The title's a joke. This is a suggestion. Mainly because choosing a different font alone can eat around a good 30 characters or so. Let's not even get into hyperlinks.)

...we don't even get 500, you know. Personally, I think 400 is just about right...if you really need to display a lot of text (and in a particular font), you can always do so through an image with a transparent background.

Granted, that might not work very well with browsers that cannot support transparency, but I think those are in the minority.
X Prime 03-11-2006 02:08 PM
That;'s why I brought up the whole bribing idea. Hehehe.

I basically suggested this on a whim since Im not really a big fan of using transparent images with just text. *Shrug*
Krang 03-12-2006 02:46 AM
quote:
Who do I have to bribe

Me.

quote:
and with what amount

Bemani and/or classic video games.

...Seriously, though, I noticed the limit getting in the way when I was editing my sig, so I was considering an increase anyway. The limit for staff and Forum Veterans is now 500 characters, and everyone else now has 400 characters.
Jonny Axehandle 03-12-2006 08:02 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Krang
quote:
and with what amount

Bemani and/or classic video games.

I've got 400+ Sega Genesis ROMs. Will that get HTML enabled in sigs?
X Prime 03-12-2006 09:30 AM
I think he would want 400 carts for that, since a complete set of Genesis ROMs is pretty easy to find.

That, and HTML means I could use a meta redirect on any page where my sig appears. It's a titanic security hole. I'm pretty damn sure Krang knows this.

Thanks Krang!

By the way, is there a reason why mixing bold and italics doesn't work if font size is 12 or less but doesn't mind if it's 13?
Jonny Axehandle 03-12-2006 12:51 PM
Meh, I've got a sig limit of 100,000 characters and HTML enabled on my own board. I've had no trouble, it's just a matter of making a rule againts crap like that and enforcing it.
The Fallen Phoenix 03-12-2006 01:39 PM
...all this talk about classic video games is making me want to buy a Sega Saturn...which I've resolved I'll do as soon as I get to college, no matter how much food I'll have to give up for it (yes, I anticipate being a poor, hungry college student...)!

Mixing bold and italics doesn't work at font size 12? That's odd, I don't think I've ever had a problem with that before...I do think I have always been able to do that.
Krang 03-12-2006 10:16 PM
quote:
That, and HTML means I could use a meta redirect on any page where my sig appears. It's a titanic security hole. I'm pretty damn sure Krang knows this.

Yes, plus the fact that it allows the display to be altered using CSS or even a simple </table> tag. Additionally, JavaScript, IFrames, and other potentially malicious code could be injected. While enabling HTML in sigs would have some benefits, the problems would far outweigh those benefits.

quote:
By the way, is there a reason why mixing bold and italics doesn't work if font size is 12 or less but doesn't mind if it's 13?

It depends on the font. The default forum font (Tahoma) has no problems with bold and italicized text no matter what size it is, but other fonts (especially fonts with serifs) may not work as well in smaller sizes.

quote:
Originally posted by The Fallen Phoenix
...all this talk about classic video games is making me want to buy a Sega Saturn...which I've resolved I'll do as soon as I get to college, no matter how much food I'll have to give up for it (yes, I anticipate being a poor, hungry college student...)!

Good idea. The Saturn is a great system (which reminds me, there are still several games that I want to buy for it eventually).
Dork 03-20-2006 02:10 AM
Woot.

Thanks Krang! Big Grin