E-Bay buyer: need tips

Patsai 03-05-2006 05:19 PM
I just started looking into some DVDs on E-Bay to buy and I was thinking about purchasing some complete box sets of anime. My first one is this:

Hellsing Complete DVD set

The prices seems like quite a deal. I just don't know if it's the real deal. It says in the description it has all 13 episodes, but No. of discs is 1, and it's a Region-free DVD. Does this mean its bootleg? The feedback comments do seem positive, but I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing and not wasting valuable money. I'm new to shopping online, so bootleg catching is a bit harder than usual, but once I get more experience, it'll come easy. Better safe than never.
Travis Bickle 03-05-2006 05:23 PM
It's fake.
Asirt 03-05-2006 05:27 PM
When you buy anime goods at Ebay, it's best to assume that most items there are likely to be bootlegs, such as the item you provided. In this case, the official Hellsing box set has four discs (in four seperate cases), is a region one DVD (not region free), and only has English subtitles. Be aware of DVD info when looking. Region free, Chinese subtitles, and less than normal amount of DVDs are signs of bootlegs.

When I search for anime DVDs on Ebay, I usually do my homework first and check if an official complete boxset exists. If it doesn't, then the "Complete Collections" on Ebay are bootlegs. Also, if there is a complete boxset, check the official design. It should have the Pioneer / Geneon logo there. Here is an official box set for Hellsing:
http://store.animebooks.com/heboxdvdboxs.html

[Not sure if Geneon released a new "Signature Series" boxset like they did with SEL.]

As you can see, it's different from the one on Ebay. Now, that doesn't mean that all anime DVDs on Ebay are bootlegs (example: I got AIR Vol.2 [Limited Edition] for 40 dollars on Ebay, and it was the real thing), but it's more likely than if you went to another store.

To sum it up, first do your homework and check for information on the item you want. Then, check to see if there's an image of the boxset or DVD design. Then, search for a store that carries the item at a good price. Ebay sellers may have the item you're looking for, but make sure the item you want is truly the item you seek.

I hope that helps you. Smile

By the way, click here for general info on bootleg products.
Pygmalion 03-05-2006 09:55 PM
For some tips on spotting bootleg anime, try the Pirate Anime FAQ. I've found it very helpful.

Pygmalion
Green_Bird 03-05-2006 10:25 PM
Yes it's a fake. If you want the real one, then try amazon. Ebay's never reliable when buying DVD boxsets Oh Well ...frankly, I wouldn't bid on any DVDs on ebay just to be safe....because people can use a real picture and still send you a bootlegged copy.