Episode 49 Discussion: "The Other Side of the Gate"

Shredder 03-04-2006 08:24 PM
We're getting close to the end with only two eps left after this one, so don't miss them if you've been following the series! Tonight's ep includes more revelations and a few things that I know will remind you of Big O. Oh, and a lot of spinning room shots. Enjoy! Big Grin
Sephiroth 03-05-2006 12:21 AM
Well, that was pretty darn amazing. It was wierd seeing a homunculi with a son, not because I don't understand the actual circumstances, but because it seems odd that a monster like Pride can be leading a happy family life. Then again, if Gluttony can be that emotional over Lust, I suppose anything is possible. I actually felt bad for Gluttony when he was freaking out looking for Lust. Archer was pretty creepy in this episode, and his attempt to get Izumi to join the military was really out of character for him (they did it in the manga too, except that time the Fuhrer attempted to bribe her with watermelons). Rose was a little creepy in this episode too, it's like she's just a shell of her former self now. The whole loving Ed thing was wierd, along with the constant touching from Dante. Speaking of Dante, she certainly does love those baby transmutation circles. Anywho, Ed's now in Europe in the body of some alternate universe Ed. Nice to see Hoenhiem again though. Two more episodes left, and it can only get better.

P.S.
Am I the only one who almost got sick when the room kept spinning when Ed confronted Dante? I mean one camera pan is alright but 3... I mean how many times can you show the same room.
Phantom X 03-05-2006 12:40 AM
It was a great episode. The whole thing with Rose and Dante is weird. I think Dante did something to Rose and now she is cooperating. Dante did bring up a very interesting point about the 1st law of alchemy. I think that will be the way Ed and his father are going to use that to get back to their world. (I assume the world they are in now is ours.) The only thing we have to worry about is if Dante and Rose actually do switch and if Ed can get Rose back. (I was also very disappointed that Ed didnt use Glutoney to his advantage)
VashTheHumanoidTyphoon 03-05-2006 02:00 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Sephiroth
(they did it in the manga too, except that time the Fuhrer attempted to bribe her with watermelons)

That seems a little weird. I think Phantom is right about Ed and Gluttony. He could have teamed up and they probably could have easily beaten Dante. Was Ed younger or was his hair just styled differently?
The ending of FMA is getting closer and plot twists are popping up all over. It kinda makes you wander how exactly FMA is going to end...
Travis Bickle 03-05-2006 02:11 AM
Wait...this is something I never got.

How does what's her face have a kid? Was she liked...raped or something? Do they ever explain that?
Raven 03-05-2006 05:03 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Cerpin Taxt
Wait...this is something I never got.

How does what's her face have a kid? Was she liked...raped or something? Do they ever explain that?

Yeah, she was raped by soldiers from the military.

BTW, is it me or is Envy just pwning everyone these days?
Jstar136 03-05-2006 09:21 AM
The whole spinning camera thing made me sick.

I'm surprised Rose didn't react to her baby being snatched in the earthen dragon's maw.

Lyra/Dante's soul collapse has grown up to her chest. Big Grin

Is Archer trying to stage a coup, or is he under Pride's orders to fight?
Sephiroth 03-05-2006 11:45 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Jstar136

I'm surprised Rose didn't react to her baby being snatched in the earthen dragon's maw.

Lyra/Dante's soul collapse has grown up to her chest. Big Grin

Is Archer trying to stage a coup, or is he under Pride's orders to fight?

If I recall correctly, Pride left him in charge of Central. He did have most of the soldiers on his side when he was fighting Izumi. Technically Ross and the soldiers with her were staging the coup since they opened fire on the person the Fuhrer had put in charge, and I would suppose they are on the side of Mustang. Archer is just nuts.
Hobodoken 03-05-2006 11:46 AM
I'm thinking that Archer is trying to get all the support he can, what Mustang's coup going on up north. I think it's kind of odd that Mustang's gotten that many people to be willing to go against the Fuher, and managed to keep them stationed in Central. I really thought Gluttony was going to go and eat Wrath after Ed told him about Lust's death. That or east Ed's arm.
Gato Gurl914 03-05-2006 12:23 PM
i don't get why they didn't show the gate when dante sent ed across. first the baby glows, then all of a sudden he's in europe with a haircut!
Hobodoken 03-05-2006 12:46 PM
Wait... didn't it show the gate for a moment, and then him looking in the mirror at not longhaired himself?
evanASF27 03-05-2006 01:56 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Hobodoken
Wait... didn't it show the gate for a moment, and then him looking in the mirror at not longhaired himself?

Yahh....they definately showed the gate and the mirror. (Edward Von Elric Laughing )

quote:

They overexagerated the whole perspective thing...I think it's just bad drawing there (the first I've ever seen in this show! O.o). It should have just been a regular pan.

Anyway, this episode really was amazing. Seriously. I can't point out any favorite moments because the whole thing was so awesome. There were a couple of things which I noticed that have got me wondering.
1) Ed's dad seems to have experienced the exact same thing Ed did when he crossed over. He took over the body of his alternate self and then was faced with his family that was wondering the sudden change in personality. This would explain why Ed's dad asked Ed about "transmute" when he saw his son 'acting strangely'.
2) Am I the only one wierded out to see Pride with a son?
Phantom X 03-05-2006 03:25 PM
When I first saw Prides son, I thought we were having a flashback with Mustang, who we havent seen inawhile. They do look awfully similar, no?
seraphjei 03-05-2006 08:55 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Phantom X
When I first saw Prides son, I thought we were having a flashback with Mustang, who we havent seen inawhile. They do look awfully similar, no?

I sorta see where your comming from, but if you think they look similar now just you wait.
spoiler (highlight to read):
eye patch *cough cough*
Ano Hito 03-05-2006 09:43 PM
blargh, this episode was great, but the spinning room made me sick.
Nine Kuze 03-06-2006 11:45 AM
Another helluva an episode.

A couple of things:

-Yes, Rose was raped by the military. HARD. So bad that ol' girl lost her voice. And to be more specific, it was that prick General Haruko who is the actual father of the baby. That's why everythime I see him on the screen, I start cursing uncontrollably.

-I REALLY, REALLY liked the whole spinning bit where Dante and Edward were talking to each other. I'm a cinematography nut and I thought it was creative and a very nice touch. One of my favorite parts of the episode.

-Pride does have a son, but he (Selim) was adapted. Homonculi can't reproduce the same way humans do and yes, he does kind of look like Mustang (just with bigger eyes).

Anyway, yeah Edward, never cut your hair and here you go:

Welcome to the other side of the Gate! Here is your official program and during your stay here, you will experience World War I on an epic and first hand level, the force of the Second Reich, flying and destructive zepplins, and above all else, there's no alchemy in these neck of the woods! Enjoy your stay and remember, no alchemy!

No one's talked about Winry and Sheska discussion about how the Homonculi are taking away the Philosopher's Stone, seeing how it actually helps humans because, well, we just so damn destructive. They both made a lot of good points. I thought the Dante/Rose thing was very well executed. Don't get me wrong, it was weird as you know what but it was pretty good. When Rose said she loved Edward, I was telling him to take that. Winry's pretty much locked up if you know what I mean (Go Alphonse!). Envy finally did something cool as he beat the crap out of Wrath (who is longdue for one and totally deserves it), but I can't wait until the next episode for what he does next! Big Grin Big Grin
Peace.
Phantom X 03-06-2006 09:10 PM
Rose telling Ed that she loved him was just Dantes reprograming. Dante did something horrific to Rose off screen to keep us guessing. Would Rose really let that snake take the baby without so much as a peep 5-6 episodes ago? I dont think so.
Nine Kuze 03-07-2006 02:59 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Phantom X
Rose telling Ed that she loved him was just Dantes reprograming. Dante did something horrific to Rose off screen to keep us guessing. Would Rose really let that snake take the baby without so much as a peep 5-6 episodes ago? I dont think so.

I know that's the 'main' reason that Rose said that, because Dante wants Edward to feel the same way about Rose after she takes over her body. But still man, I was satified that she said it regardless. That's my favorite fantasy couple. Forget, Ed and Winry, Roy and Riza. Give me Edward and Rose, dammit! Big Grin

Does anybody else find it disturbing that Dante wanted to take over Rose's body so Edward can love her? No one's talked about that and I was just wondering if that disgusted anybody nearly as it did me.
Peace.
Jstar136 03-07-2006 05:47 PM
It was mentioned briefly (Lyra w/ Ed). I suppose this is because she wants a piece of real Elrick flesh. Drooling

Lyra holding Rose... Shocked WHOO!
Phantom X 03-07-2006 05:53 PM
I think that has something to do with his father. They had a thing back in the day apparently, no?