Ask [AS] Results: BIG-O Season 3 News

Paradigm Dog 03-01-2006 03:11 AM
Thanks to all who answered the call for BIG-O 3 with the ASK[AS] campaign! Apparently so many people asked about it, that Kim Manning lumped it into one question (part 2 of the FIRST question!):

And what is up with Big O Season 3?

I wasn't in on this, so I asked Jason DeMarco, who was involved in production for season 2, and here's what he said: "Unfortunately, I don't think it can happen. The ratings and DVD sales in the US and Japan were middling. The only reason Bandai made season 2 was because we asked them to, as a matter of fact. I myself am happy with the ending of the story in season 2, though the writer, Chiaki Konaka, told me he did have another idea for season 3....there you go!"

There you have it. The latest official word. It's clear, once and for all now, that BIG-O was indeed cut short....
Zopwx2 03-01-2006 07:31 AM
Well. Nutbutters.
David Ryder 03-01-2006 07:46 AM
I figured it was cut short, oh well at this point season three is pretty much a pipe dream.
Randolph 03-01-2006 03:42 PM
I never had much hope to begin with.
Ah, well. It's probably better this way.

With a third season, all of our questions would be answered...
and there goes our fan community speculation!
What would we do without it?
R.Smith 03-01-2006 05:29 PM
Hmm, this response just makes me positive that we should be directing our efforts towards another anime network.
Jstar136 03-01-2006 05:57 PM
Teh snaps Crying

quote:
Originally posted by R.Smith
Hmm, this response just makes me positive that we should be directing our efforts towards another anime network.

How about G4?
David Ryder 03-01-2006 06:16 PM
quote:

Exactly what I was thinking. CN clearly isn't going to do it, and there's always other's out there, like the Anime Network or G4 TV.
Randolph 03-01-2006 06:22 PM
If it was me, I'd ring up Gainax about it....

But that could get very wierd.
paul1290 03-01-2006 07:36 PM
Yea, I've also thought of simply giving up on CN.

Perhaps we should find a network that doesn't get as many viewers. I mean, CN is used to getting lots and lots of high ratings so it would take a lot to convince them to fund a season 3. Maybe we can find another network who has the money to fund a season 3 but to whom the ratings of Big-O would have more meaning.

I wouldn't give up just yet. Trigun is getting a movie soon and how many Trigun fans have you seen trying to get another season? Not that many as far as I know.

Are the ratings for season 2 really not that good? It didn't really seem that way to me.
David Ryder 03-02-2006 07:14 AM
quote:
Are the ratings for season 2 really not that good? It didn't really seem that way to me.

from what I saw, the rating where excellent. when season II first aired on CN it was number one like every week. I never bought into CN's "The rating wheren't good" bit.
IanC 03-02-2006 01:13 PM
As i said on animeondvd, she probably cant give the real reason.
Paradigm Dog 03-02-2006 03:10 PM
This isn't all adding up, as I'll note toward the end of this post*, but first:

Animenewsnetwork.com actually reported on this news. The forum responses there about BIG-O 3 were somewhat greater than I would have expected. I think there's still a stigma that most people don't think there actually were plans for further BIG-O episodes. Here at Paradigm-City.com and over at SaveBigO.com we've had a good deal of evidence regarding BIG-O being cut short. Now that Adult Swim has openly admitted it, some people may be more inclined to support a 3rd Season, even non-fans judging from the ANN response. I wonder what's going on at the Adult Swim boards? We need to make sure this news is spread.

All and all, I think that there's still a chance for BIG-O 3, just as Trigun the Movie popped up out of nowhere, but that it may not come as soon as we'd all like. Still, there's no reason to give up. The tomato truck campaign at SaveBigO hasn't been launched yet, after all. Also, Bandai has noted in the past that they're not really against the idea, and SUNRISE does have BIG-O icons prominantly on its Japanese website. It's obviously not a completely dead property, it's just one that's resting right now. I think they'll probably go back to it eventually. In the meantime, we have to keep showing support.

As for other networks like G4TV, I'm not sure they have the kind of connection to an already established series like BIG-O that CN historically has. They might have the money, though. I'm just wondering how a deal like that would go down--espeically since CN has the first 2 seasons.

*Here's where things start to get a little weird: Currently, it's obvious that CN is a little wary of anime because it doesn't do as well as AS Comedy, and they've sunk their money into too many Boondocks episodes. I would think money is a reason here...though, it is strange that IGPX and now a new Gamera anime are being funded heavily by Cartoon Network...hmm...In addition:

09/15/2005
Kim Manning on GATV.tv

GATV.tv has an audio interview with Adult Swim Programming Manager Kim Manning, in which she reveals the deepest, darkest secrets of the fall anime line-up.

If you listen to the entire interview, Manning reveals that Adult Swim is seeking to produce animation in Japan at the same time Toonami is (as with the recent IGPX for the latter).

If they don't have any more money, why are they looking to produce completely new anime shows?

But wait, they do have money for producing anime like BIG-O:
http://www.savebigo.com/savebigo/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=4

"Time Warner and Itochu Corp (C. Itoh & Co.) have announced that they will jointly produce new anime to be broadcast simultaneously on Cartoon Network in Japan and North America.

By April 2006, the joint venture is expected to be producing weekly episodes for three shows, at a budget of 20 million yen ($US 190,000) per episode, 20 to 50 percent higher than the current average budget for anime TV series. The added budget will be spent on higher-than-average quality animation using more animators and other staff than is typically used in anime..."

BIG-O did very well in ratings from what I had seen. It boosted Adult Swim ratings greatly when season 2 aired: http://www.savebigo.com/savebigo/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=5
36&view=previous

Is there another reason??! What do you think?
Randolph 03-02-2006 05:20 PM
I can't speak for everyone, but my feeling has been that they are trying
to say to us:

"We know you want more Big O. You've told us a thousand times.
We'll give it to you when we're ready, and that's not now. Now shove off."

I don't think running past them with a Tomato truck is going
to help. I think they want to do other things and make more Big O
when it's more opportune. Also, if we rush things, we may get
more Big O, but it will be very shoddy half-cocked Big O they made in
a rush to meet our failingly wild demand.
And we never wanted that.
David Ryder 03-02-2006 11:40 PM
quote:
I don't think running past them with a Tomato truck is going to help

I agree on that. I honestly doubt, that sending them a truck chalk full of tomatoes is going to help much, and in fact it will be the butt of jokes for months to come.
6 moon dance 03-03-2006 12:25 AM
quote:
I don't think running past them with a Tomato truck is going to help.

A truckload of tomatoes may not convince AS to produce a third season of Big O and it might make Big O the butt of a few jokes. However it will do two positive things. First it will keep Big O on the minds of the programmers at AS (it's pretty hard to forget someone who dumped a truckload of tomatoes on your doorstep) and second, it will generate buzz about the show, prompting more people to watch it, thus increasing the ratings.
Travis Bickle 03-03-2006 12:35 AM
I think sending tomatoes to Williams Street/Adult Swim HQ is funny as hell, yet retarded and will never accomplish anything.
StevieV019 03-03-2006 07:38 AM
I think the pipe dream is pretty much over. If Cartoon Network wont pick up a third season, why would another network do so? Whats their incentive to do it? Big O is over...dunzo...finished.

Whats the point of "keeping Big O on the minds of programmers"? Whoever is aware of Big O already has made their opinion regarding the show. Its future has been written, and the ending of the show is enough to find closure to series. Send the tomatoes though, it might get some play on AS...
paul1290 03-03-2006 07:29 PM
Keep in mind that several fans have contributed real money towards buying those tomatoes. I myself have contributed a dollar. The tomatoes do matter in that we were willing to buy them so they can be sent to adult swim in the first place. Sure, a dollar isn't much, but it still carries more weight than simply signing a petition.

Signing a petition= Someone who kinda liked Big-O and may or may not watch a season 3.

Spending a dollar= Someone who really liked Big-O and would almost certainly watch a season 3.
Spoderman 03-03-2006 08:55 PM
Personally, I don't think Big O needs a season three, unless the producers specifically planned to do so.

I would rather have a Big O movie to sum it all up, or perhaps if that can't even be realized, a Big O novelization (non-manga).

I want to know exactly what the writers of the show had in mind for the actual ending, and I think a movie or novel would give them enough opportunity to express themselves.

On a side note...

quote:
half-cocked Big O

lol....
Krang 03-04-2006 12:48 AM
quote:
Originally posted by paul1290
Keep in mind that several fans have contributed real money towards buying those tomatoes. I myself have contributed a dollar. The tomatoes do matter in that we were willing to buy them so they can be sent to adult swim in the first place. Sure, a dollar isn't much, but it still carries more weight than simply signing a petition.

Big O fans also spent real money on the Big O DVDs, but their sales have had no effect on CN's decision not to order another season. Personally, I think trying to convince CN to change their minds is a waste of time and effort that would be better spent elsewhere. The written petition may not involve much money (only the cost of a stamp and envelope), but it has much more potential since it involves contacting several companies instead of just one (not to mention the fact that it can also obtain the support of Big O fans who do not use the Internet).