Big Ear

Roger_Smith 02-17-2006 09:41 AM
Big Ear is probably one of the most interesting characters in the show

There's an important thing we discover in Act 26

He's an android

And then we see the page of newspaper he hold:We can see a photo of Big O/Big Fau fighting with the title "The Big .... Wins !" The first thing we wonder when we see that is "where did he got this information of the future". To find the response we have to get back to the beginning of the show. The first thing that we noting on him is that his name is never prononced he is only mentionned in Act 4 and we never see his mouth move(except in "Bring Back My Ghost"). He has lost his memory 40 years ago but he knows anything about the city !! That means he rescovering his memory one way or the other and in Act 26 he is no more amnesia. He knows how all this was going to finish:None of the bigs will win the combat, the memory(Big Venus) will awake and restart the story from the beginning.
paul1290 02-17-2006 07:46 PM
Big Ear has always confused me. It's just that we know so little about him.

It might be possible that Big Ear was created by Gordon Rosewater in order to look after Roger. Someone would have had to make sure Roger survived until his services were needed (when Roger had to negotiate with Big-Venus).
Schwarzwald_X 02-18-2006 07:34 PM
Big Ear is easily my favorite character. He may not be a major character, but he's just that interesting. Rock on, Big Ear! Big Grin
DorothyFan1 02-18-2006 09:45 PM
That's a fascinating idea about Big Ear...that he was essentially a double agent working for Alex Rosewater. And it makes sense that Alex Rosewater WOULD want to keep close tabs on Roger Smith...so this theory can't be dismissed.
The_Big_G 02-20-2006 11:17 PM
It's interesting that Big Ear has so much access to information and uses a newspaper to cover both his face and the money that Roger pays him.
Newspapers seem to be a symbol of facts, as well as a mask that hides those same facts with disinformation. It would make sense that Big Ear fulfills the same function, corralling Roger along a guided path with seeded disinformation.
It seems that there's a foil character in Schwarzwald, since he's a newspaper reporter. We similarly don't learn much about him personally, although a lot more than Big Ear...but we do learn that as a journalist, he becomes obsessed with what the true facts of existence in Paradigm really are. In a schizoid way, he abandons his identity as Seewald, a reporter for the mask, and begins publishing his own leaflets reporting on his own finds about "the Truth" as a completely different person. If he knew that Big Ear was a double agent, that would explain his insistence that Roger's "a Paradigm Lapdog"...implying that Roger was following Paradigm's command through disinformation, even if he wasn't even aware of it.
Schwarzwald_X 02-21-2006 08:25 PM
quote:
Originally posted by DorothyFan1
That's a fascinating idea about Big Ear...that he was essentially a double agent working for Alex Rosewater. And it makes sense that Alex Rosewater WOULD want to keep close tabs on Roger Smith...so this theory can't be dismissed.

That's a really interesting theory... but I think for now, it's mere speculation. I mean, what other proof do we have that Big Ear was a double-agent? If Big Ear was in cahoots with Rosewater, would Rosewater really want Roger to have all that info? It's hard to say- but I like where this is going... it's a new view on my favorite character.
parabellum 02-22-2006 01:46 AM
is he suppose to be a jew?
Roger_Smith 02-22-2006 06:24 AM
Lol ! Laughing
Randolph 02-22-2006 10:01 AM
Actually, there is some possibility that Big Ear is Jewish.
He certainly has the look down. Not to mention his
insistence that there are others outside of Paradigm City... which may
actually include himself.
Even though he's an Android, he may have come from abroad.
There may even be some connection between him and Vera.
Schwarzwald_X 02-22-2006 03:40 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Randolph
Actually, there is some possibility that Big Ear is Jewish.
He certainly has the look down. Not to mention his
insistence that there are others outside of Paradigm City... which may
actually include himself.
Even though he's an Android, he may have come from abroad.
There may even be some connection between him and Vera.

Yep- I think he's Jewish. He wears a yamaka (sp?)... I'm pretty sure that's a good indicator. Big Grin
Hobodoken 02-22-2006 04:31 PM
*Yarmaluke
SEELE 08 03-04-2006 09:42 AM
Oh god looking over this thread, I'm reminded of the Botmitzvah from Futurama....*groans*
Big Adil 03-09-2006 01:35 AM
Speaking of which in episode 2(Dorothy Dorothy)Big Ear mentions "Aren't you going to be the knight in shining armour and rescue the girl" and then he mentions it again in the very last episode 26(The Show Must Go On) right at the very begining? I'm stumped on this Confused
R. Daniel Olk 01 03-09-2006 10:01 AM
quote:
Originally posted by DorothyFan1
That's a fascinating idea about Big Ear...that he was essentially a double agent working for Alex Rosewater.

I'm not surprised if he were a quadruple agent. Isn't he the type that simply caters to the highest bidder?
SEELE 08 03-10-2006 10:59 AM
Mercenarial Androids...weird, I guess some of them were very well built to the point where they can behave like humans. One thing that was really interesting was in an earlier episode (I don't remember which one) was that Big Ear wondered if Humans and Androids lived together more equally at some point than they did at the present time. I'm guessing they "knew" they were going make him and Android for some time. Jewish Mercenarial Androids....that's got to be some kind of first. Also....he has in iPod earpods, damn Apple still going strong in Paradigm City!
Zopwx2 03-10-2006 01:58 PM
I always thought he was some sort of like al pacino in the Devil's advocate, they can't quite get Roger Smith to do stuff becuase of free wll, but they can sort of feed him informations and suggestions and hope he goes for it.

Now as to who was providing the info, and what their intentions are.
Roger_Smith 03-18-2006 02:06 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Big Adil
Speaking of which in episode 2(Dorothy Dorothy)Big Ear mentions "Aren't you going to be the knight in shining armour and rescue the girl" and then he mentions it again in the very last episode 26(The Show Must Go On) right at the very begining? I'm stumped on this Confused

I think Big Ear knew how all of this was going to finish, in episode 2 Roger saves Dorothy and in Act 26 Dorothy rescue Roger
R. Daniel Olk 01 03-20-2006 10:56 PM
Heheh, if "he knew how it was all going to end," why didn't he move to avoid getting literally bent outta shape? Wink
Dangerous 03-26-2006 06:43 AM
I have not read every posts, but I have a question : who gives the rumors to Big Ear? where does he get his informations? Who informes him? Every time he says 'I heard rumors ....'. Thus there is another qestion : who informes people about those rumors that Big Ear gets too?
Schwarzwald_X 03-26-2006 07:50 PM
quote:
Originally posted by samirsouleyman
I have not read every posts, but I have a question : who gives the rumors to Big Ear? where does he get his informations? Who informes him? Every time he says 'I heard rumors ....'. Thus there is another qestion : who informes people about those rumors that Big Ear gets too?

Good question. Maybe Big Ear is just really observant... or maybe he is getting info from selected sources. It's hard to say. That's just the secret of a good informant, I guess.