Ds Ftw!

Patsai 02-21-2006 09:27 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Cerpin Taxt
Wait...what? Last time I checked, A UMD holds at least 5 times as much data as a DS card, and the memory cards range from 32 MB to 2 Gigs (or the 4 gig battery-powred hard-drive).

I was comparing it to the use of multimedia...aka movies and music. Games are a different story because they aren't necessarily multimedia use in PSP terms. Sorry for not clarifying. To me, them wanting you to buy another copy on UMD, even if you already own the film on DVD, is pretty unreasonable. Even so, the UMDs are short of special features and overpriced.
Travis Bickle 02-21-2006 09:31 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Patsai
quote:
Wait...what? Last time I checked, A UMD holds at least 5 times as much data as a DS card, and the memory cards range from 32 MB to 2 Gigs (or the 4 gig battery-powred hard-drive).

I was comparing it to the use of multimedia...aka movies and music. Games are a different story because they aren't necessarily multimedia use in PSP terms. Sorry for not clarifying. To me, them wanting you to buy another copy on UMD, even if you already own the film on DVD, is pretty unreasonable. Even so, the UMDs are short of special features and overpriced.

It's still better than importing a special device from JAPAN and then buying a seperate overpriced memory card.

You could just be smart and steal stuff off the internet, and then put it on your memory card.
Patsai 02-21-2006 09:43 PM
quote:
You could just be smart and steal stuff off the internet, and then put it on your memory card.

Which also led to the decline of sales of UMD movies. Developing games and putting movies on UMD is pretty expensive. Top it off with the fact that these developers and distributors have to pay licensing fees every time they do that may or may not pay off just adds to the burden. People also just resort to buying a video iPod, while expensive, pays off for its huge storage space and its ability to transfer movies and music easily. Unless Sony can somehow pull off a downloading service similar to iTunes and be successful at it, I have doubts about its multimedia features. At least for now.
Generalissimo D 02-21-2006 09:55 PM
Haha.

*points to thread title*
Schwarzwald 02-21-2006 10:14 PM
Dude. No way I'm EVER buying a UMD movie ^^;

The person who developed DVDs doesn't market em' Sony doesn't market UMD movies, its the movie itself who is responsible for advirtising. It doesn't hurt sony at all.

I have put on music and quite a few harvey birdman episodes plus a Mystery Science Theater 3000 episode on my memory cards. Its a great thing and does just a wee bit more then a video Ipod for about the same price.

And about UMD space, one little by-pass, you could use multiple UMDs like the Dreamcast, Playstation 1, and Playstation2 did. I think the gamecube did that too? And at this point anyway, not alot of people are into developing large games for handhelds just yet. Only really GTA and Earthbound 2 I think are really doing that. Mario 64 DS and Phantasy Star collection aren't exactly new games.

You have to admit too, the PSP is alot easier to hold and play with ^^;. The DS feels kind of like a tetris block when your not using the touchpad to move. I still like my DS alot, Super Mario 64 DS is groovy, but my PSP has its place with lumines, GTA, Socom, Untold Legends, and my movies. Its the best way to show anime to my friends ^^;
Shredder 02-21-2006 11:23 PM
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Shredder
Ehh...I like my video games systems to play games, but that's just me.

Don't tell me that you don't want your own custom entrance music and movie in a wrestling game Tongue

Well, I would on, say, a PS2, since wrestling and fighting games generally don't work as well on handhelds (although if I did have a PSP I'd definitely buy Street Fighter Alpha 3 Pleased ). My point was more that the PSP seems to be trying too hard to be too many things other than a video game system, while the DS focuses more on original gameplay, the way things used to be in the days of the NES, SNES, Genesis etc. I thought that was what the point of a video game system should be.
Travis Bickle 02-21-2006 11:56 PM
quote:
quote:
quote:
Ehh...I like my video games systems to play games, but that's just me.

Don't tell me that you don't want your own custom entrance music and movie in a wrestling game Tongue

Well, I would on, say, a PS2, since wrestling and fighting games generally don't work as well on handhelds (although if I did have a PSP I'd definitely buy Street Fighter Alpha 3 Pleased ). My point was more that the PSP seems to be trying too hard to be too many things other than a video game system, while the DS focuses more on original gameplay, the way things used to be in the days of the NES, SNES, Genesis etc. I thought that was what the point of a video game system should be.

I think we had an argument a year or so ago about how some people (I think it was Krang and someone else) preferred Connectivity (GBA to GC, which failed, overall) over Online. This is pretty much the same thing.

Now that the big N has stepped up to the plate and gone online, we now have systems that have more than just one function. And since Nintento seems to be pushing this web browser and tv tuner, it seems that it not only wants to step up to the plate with the PSP, but also wants to become a multimedia center as well. So that's cool that you're all about strictly video games. However, Nintendo seems to be diving into what the gaming community has evolved into and is conforming to the preset (and arguably bad and totally really lame) standards of the new generation of gaming.

And yes, playing video games is cool. Watching movies on the go is cool, as well. And now, with the Play-Yan (I doubt it'll be sucsessful, just like the Game Boy Micro), you can do both.

And viddy films I would.
Shredder 02-22-2006 12:03 AM
Yeah, but as far as I can tell, these new DS features are optional add-ons, not the new selling point of the system. I'm not against stuff like that, it's just discouraging (to me) that, in general, video games are heading into a direction where they're not just about games anymore. Yes, including Nintendo to some extent, but, in my opinion, of the main companies out there, they seem to still be the most focused on providing good gameplay as a priority.
Travis Bickle 02-22-2006 12:09 AM
quote:
Yeah, but as far as I can tell, these new DS features are optional add-ons, not the new selling point of the system. I'm not against stuff like that, it's just discouraging (to me) that, in general, video games are heading into a direction where they're not just about games anymore. Yes, including Nintendo to some extent, but, in my opinion, of the main companies out there, they seem to still be the most focused on providing good gameplay as a priority.

They're making WI-FI priority numero uno for the DS right now. It's all over the new bundles and packaging, not to mention ads and all that sh**. So, I bet you my copy of Space Channel 5 for the Dreamcast that, when the Opera browser and TV tuner are released in the US, they're going to market it for all its worth and sell it like gothcakes.

By the way (for the record), anyone who has the need to watch TV on anything but a TV or PC sucks at life. Seriously. Why would one pay extra per month to watch CNN on their cell phone for about 10 minutes and then their battery dies? Or the public channels on your PSP for half an hour? Or on your DS for 2 hours?

It's times like these I wish I played Risk more often.
Shredder 02-22-2006 12:26 AM
I don't want to argue with you, but I disagree. Right now, I'm pretty sure that less than 10 American-released DS games are multiplayer using the Wi-Fi. Others may have other multi-player options without the Wi-Fi, but I don't think it's the main selling point, despite the fact that the system itself is advertised as Wi-Fi compatible. Even with Wi-Fi, multiplayer or whatever, that's still a gameplay-related feature and not really what I was referring to in my previous posts. Not the MP3's, UMDs, pictures etc. that are completely unrelated. That's all I meant. But I do agree with you about watching movies on a tiny screen with a 2-3 hour or whatever it is battery life.
Travis Bickle 02-22-2006 12:35 AM
quote:
I don't want to argue with you, but I disagree. Right now, I'm pretty sure that less than 10 American-released DS games are multiplayer using the Wi-Fi. Others may have other multi-player options without the Wi-Fi, but I don't think it's the main selling point, despite the fact that the system itself is advertised as Wi-Fi compatible. Even with Wi-Fi, multiplayer or whatever, that's still a gameplay-related feature and not really what I was referring to in my previous posts. Not the MP3's, UMDs, pictures etc. that are completely unrelated. That's all I meant. But I do agree with you about watching movies on a tiny screen with a 2-3 hour or whatever it is battery life. I don't get the appeal when most people also have TVs and DVD players.

Well, Online is pretty much the gateway drug to multimedia content (Mp3s, videos, etc.). And since Mario Kart and Animal Crossing's sales have been pwning pretty much everything else on the DS (and PSP), with the exception of Nintendogs (possibly the cutest and gayest concept for a video game ever made, for lack of a better word). So in a year or two, you're going to see Nintendo pushing video playability and stuff on the DS. They did it with the GBA. The Game Boy Advance Videos. You could watch a few episodes of Pokemon on one card. Hell, the UMD videos are doing as well as those did/are doing Laughing
Shredder 02-22-2006 01:21 AM
Meh, never mind. You don't seem to get my point here.

Plus, even though the GBA had the GBA Video Player, I don't think all that many videos were made outside of a few kids' shows and it certainly wasn't a key feature of the system. It was an optional add-on aimed mainly at kids. With the PSP, far more UMD movies have been released than games.

Also, the Wi-Fi thing is being pushed as adding to the gameplay experience. While they may have plans down the way for other features (video etc.), I think that multiplayer online gaming is the end in and of itself as far as their reasons for having Wi-Fi.
Patsai 02-22-2006 07:33 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Schwarzwald
Dude. No way I'm EVER buying a UMD movie ^^;

The person who developed DVDs doesn't market em' Sony doesn't market UMD movies, its the movie itself who is responsible for advirtising. It doesn't hurt sony at all.

Perhaps not, but it does help Sony. The company is deeply in debt, not just the video game branch of theirs, but as a whole, and a lot is riding on their PSP and PS3 hardware, which they spent a ton of money on.
Schwarzwald 02-22-2006 08:09 PM
Since the Dreamcast generation, all companies take risks on new systems they release, otherwise we'd be buying our xboxs at 500$ each.
Mike 02-22-2006 08:12 PM
quote:
Since the Dreamcast generation, all companies take risks on new systems they release, otherwise we'd be buying our xboxs at 500$ each.

....except that we are.
Schwarzwald 02-23-2006 04:07 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Mike
quote:

....except that we are.

Not quite yet.

The xbox 360 itself sells for 300, if you want the optional hard drive you pay 400. the PS3 MIGHT sell for 400, but certainly not 500. I don't expect the gamecube to sell for 500 either, I'd expect at most 350.
Generalissimo D 02-23-2006 04:21 PM
NEWSFLASH:

The GCN sells at $99. The Rev will be under $350.
Patsai 02-23-2006 05:08 PM
quote:
Not quite yet.

Umm...yes we are. Don't forget that's just the system you are buying. When you add up the peripherals, games, and all the other goodies you want for your system, it adds up, exceeding $500. The Playstation 3 is becoming a concern because analysts perdicted the hardware will cost $900 to manufacture (thanks to the Blu-Ray Drive and cell processor), which is way out of consumers hands. Microsoft is able to make up for its loss through XBOX Live. What of Sony and its PS3? Sony is in deep debt, and they can't afford to be self-centered and egotistical with all their hardware promises, expecting them [the consumers] to pay a huge amount of money just because it has SONY labeled on it. There is no doubt Sony is digging a hole for themselves.

I could be wrong, maybe Sony will kick ass next generation, but the only reason why Sony sold so many PS2 consoles is because its earlier models would eventually break down, forcing consumers to pay for another, and that it had a DVD player, which people wanted because DVDs were forced and advertised on consumers so heavily people eventually switched from VHS to DVD subconsciously. Sony was expecting somthing similar to the UMDs, which didn't work after all, and now the Blu-Ray. I doubt Blu-Ray DVDs will make a big an impact on the industry as the DVDs did back then, so that won't be the selling point of the PS3.
Schwarzwald 02-24-2006 08:52 PM
Uuuuuuuhg, I'm talking about the consoles themselves. Of course we're paying alot if we want to include games. Going by that I got my Dreamcast for $350

EDIT: Also the PS3 according to CNN could cost up to 700 dollars. Sony isn't gonna sell it at that price, they are going to cut it by atleast 200 dollars. They'd have to if they the general gaming populace to even consider buying it. You could build a good comp from that kind of money.
Generalissimo D 02-24-2006 09:06 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Patsai
Sony was expecting somthing similar to the UMDs, which didn't work after all, and now the Blu-Ray. I doubt Blu-Ray DVDs will make a big an impact on the industry as the DVDs did back then, so that won't be the selling point of the PS3.

They've been wanting to do that for a while now.

Minidiscs anyone?