After twelve years, EarthBound 2!

Patsai 02-15-2006 02:50 PM
That's right, after twelve long years of waiting, Nintendo has finally revealed to us the very first screenshots of Mother 3, or here in the US, EarthBound 2.

One of the most anticipated games in Japanese video game history (almost never left the list for the most anticipated game list in Japan for the past twelve years) has recieved a release date of April 20th, 2006 on the GBA. There is currently no news of a US release.

It's predecessor, Mother 2, was very well recieved in Japan. In the US, despite its many promotions, sold poorly, although over the years, EarthBound grew a cult following. Nintendo was to create this sequel on the N64 originally, but due to hardware limitations, the project was canned. After a petition of 300,000 signatures from US fans and the impressive push from Japanese fans, Shigeru Miyamoto pushed the original creator, Shigesto Itoi, to recreate the game on the GBA.
Travis Bickle 02-15-2006 02:53 PM
Time to get my ATM card ready.
David Ryder 02-15-2006 02:54 PM
Indeed, I've been following this closely and all's I can say is awesome. I really hope Nintendo releases it over here. Great news indeed.
Patsai 02-15-2006 03:01 PM
I wonder, do you think they're still using the same story outline from EB64 or was that canned with the rest of the project as well? I mean, it looks like that dog and Flint (the cowboy guy) is present.
Generalissimo D 02-15-2006 04:05 PM
My friend owns Earthbound, as well as the strategy guide to it. Its a bit ironic on how he got it. The irony lies in that his mother got it for him because it was the cheapest game at the store, and now can sell well over $100 on eBay. Or so I'm told.
X Prime 02-15-2006 04:08 PM
Earthbound caught my eye when I was like 8 I think. I asked my father for it. I got it. Happiness ensued.

Though I have to give the sprite a thumbs down. Blonde does not look good with that attire.
The Big Finale 02-15-2006 11:11 PM
...I miss Ness already. But the game still looks great.
Patsai 02-20-2006 10:35 PM
Shigesato Itoi has once again updated his Mother 3 present page revealing a few more screens of the game and a limited edition Mother 3 deluxe package that will launch in Japan supposedly on the same day as Mother 3.

Today Shigesato Itoi has revealed that there will be a Mother 3 deluxe box launched in Japan that will include a special limited edition Mother 3 Gameboy Micro with Mother 3 face plate and Franklin Badge along with the game. Also included with this announcement are a few pictures of the bundle which you can see right here:

IMAGES!!! AND A BUNDLE PACK!!! MUST SEE!!!
Randolph 02-20-2006 10:41 PM
After playing the original EarthBound, I must say I do look forward to this.
The first captured a unique essence. Hopefully this can do the same.

However, in all honesty, EB scared the liveriousness out of me.
Seriously. Gigyas is intense.
In the very best way possible, naturally.
Patsai 02-20-2006 10:43 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Randolph
However, in all honesty, EB scared the liveriousness out of me.
Seriously. Gigyas is intense.
In the very best way possible, naturally.

I remember when I first beat him and my little 4 year old bro was watching. After I beat him, he started bawling his eyes out. Big Grin
Randolph 02-20-2006 10:47 PM
You should know... I never actually beat Gigyas.

And now, I shall have horrifying mental images of what happens
when he dies. Thank you, sir. And mere minutes before my bedtime, too!
Such punctuality. I am guaranteed nightmares.

Seriously, how DO you beat him?
Patsai 02-20-2006 10:49 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Randolph
Seriously, how DO you beat him?

You have Paula pray like 12 times. That's it.
Randolph 02-20-2006 10:56 PM
Oh...

Oh.

And here I thought I needed 666 bat thwacks or something.
Thanks. I'll try that. Might ease my nightmares a bit.

Now, how to keep Paula alive more than five turns....
X Prime 02-21-2006 01:24 AM
PSI Shield... He is also vulnerable to Brainshock.
Patsai 02-21-2006 09:55 AM
quote:
Originally posted by X Prime
PSI Shield... He is also vulnerable to Brainshock.

Is that Ness's, Paula's, or Poo's PSI Shield?
Patsai 03-01-2006 04:31 PM
More EarthBound 2 screens!

The first screenshot looks indentical to the last Sound Stone dungeon in the original EarthBound game.

Oh yes.

50 more days before EarthBound 2's release!
David Ryder 03-15-2006 09:20 PM
I heard somewhere that Nintendo is not bring this out over here.....I most certainly hope this is not true.
Patsai 03-16-2006 10:18 PM
According to Itoi's recent website, Mother 3's main characters are twins.
X Prime 03-16-2006 10:24 PM
I bet one of the twins is evil.
Patsai 03-21-2006 05:32 PM
Wow, pretty good. But what about Pokey? Will he make an appearance in this game?