why so much hate?

Gato Gurl914 02-14-2006 08:55 PM
Disclaimer- I am not trying to instagate or start a massive internet fight/argument, I'm just looking for opinions on the matter.

All I want to know is why there is so much hate for "Inuyasha"? Personally I find it to be a pretty good anime. However, there are some anime fans I've talked to that harshly disagree. I suppose all I really want to know is why so many people seem to hate it with a vengance, like it kicked their dog or something.
Travis Bickle 02-14-2006 09:08 PM
It's pretty much a feudal Dragon Ball Z.
Generalissimo D 02-14-2006 09:27 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Cerpin Taxt

But they don't really show DBZ anymore, which makes it slightly better than inuyasha.
Raven 02-14-2006 09:43 PM
I used to love Inuyasha, but that was about 500 episodes ago. Now, I just find it boring, repetitive trash. Even Sesshomaru is unable to amuse me anymore. Other than that, the action sucks and the sappy love stories are really tiresome. I’m getting sick of it because my one friend always goes off about how great it is and how so many people love it… I wish I could convince him how its nowhere near the ‘greatest’ anime ever made.
Jstar136 02-14-2006 09:57 PM
It's simple:

IT"S FAR TOO LONG!

(But it's not bad if squeezed down a lot)
Hobodoken 02-14-2006 11:30 PM
Eh.

I just think the characters aren't all that appealing, I mean, there wasn't much (if any) development, aside from InuYasha himself not being completely evil or something. Whatever.
dominusofdeath 02-15-2006 05:31 AM
I honestly don't think it's that bad. The whining annoys me and it's far too long. But other than that it's ok.
Randolph 02-15-2006 05:36 AM
Inuyasha is good as long as you take it in small doses, and avoid the particularly whiny episodes.

There's just too many episodes. If they kept it down to 26, or at least something in the reasonable double digits, it would have been better. They kind of killed it with too much elaboration.

It's a lesson many of us could learn from it.

It also puts quite a bit of focus on fighting, and the extrapolation thereof.
In that sense it does resemble DBZ (i.e., spending twenty episodes
trying to increase a character's level of energy to defeat a villain,
only to encounter a stronger villain requiring more energy, etc.).

That, and the hair-color-changing schtick.
David Ryder 02-15-2006 06:26 AM
I don't like Inu Yasha simple for the fact that it is just way way to simplistic. I'm not saying the stuff I watch is ground breaking, but Inu Yasha could have been done as a simple 26 episode series, there was no reason to over that. I think inuyasha is over 160 episodes, and honestly that's way way to much. The charecter's are shallow and boring, the Inu Yasha/Kagome romance is so predictable. I could go on I suppose.
Randolph 02-15-2006 06:31 AM
Actually, now I think of it, if you only kept the really vital important plot points and dropped everything else that wasn't totally essential to the story and primary regular cast, you could probably tell the whole story of Inuyasha in just 13 episodes. And if they had, I think it would have been a very good watch indeed.
M.S. Feather 02-15-2006 07:03 AM
I noticed people in this thread comparing Inuyasha to DragonBall. DBZ is guilty of dragging things on as well but at least in DBZ there was some major character development. The cast got older, switched sides, had children, etc.
In the case of Inuyasha, the show has been running for a very long time now but it’s still the exact same group of people on the exact same journey. Almost little to no progress has been made in the storyline or the characters relationships.
There is nothing inherently wrong with the story, it is simply being handled in a very bad way.

I used to watch Inuyasha but at one point it just became exhausting. If I’m going to spend thirty minutes of my day watching something, I at least want it to feel like there’s a point to watching it.
There are simply some shows in this world that have dragged on for far too long and need to be put to rest.

I don’t HATE Inuyasha.
I just think much deeper and fulfilling programming is out there.
Pygmalion 02-15-2006 08:27 AM
In short, Inuyasha is a soap opera in anime format. Lots of people like soap operas, and lots of people can't stand them.

Pygmalion
Ace378 02-15-2006 10:30 AM
Normally I don't post in these kinds of threads because I have yet to see an anime I don't like. Since I like anime in general it wouldn't make sense for me to post saying so since it would just get repetitive. However, I guess this is the exception. From many different places I have heard most of what has been said here already. Even so, Inuyasha really is a great anime.

If you think about it, Inuyasha has not one but many heroes while other anime only contain one. This lets the story encompass more detail than that of just one main character. In addition, there is frequently a lot of tension between the characters of the series but it’s not so much the tension it’s that there is a lot of story to back up all of the tension and ill-feelings.

On a broader spectrum, Inuyasha contains many insights into society. Think about the disgust full breed demons have for half-breed demons. It is doubtful that all of the story of Inuyasha could be covered in just 20 or so episodes. Having seen them all to date I could say that just is not possible. Between the weapon upgrade story arcs, the different character story arcs, and the shard story arcs it is just way to much to compact into 20 episodes. Now granted some episodes may get repetitive but its not such an uncommon theme in anime to be repetitive and with over 160 episodes I would say its not to bad that they repeat some of the story (to make sure you remember what is going on) however they probably are just a tad bit to repetitive. And yes I know as well as anyone that not every episode is really necessary and some could have been taken out but I would say overall lots of anime's have episodes just the same that could easily have been taken out as well.

Now it is also true that at the moment the relationships within the show definitely need some closure, either breaking it off or getting closer together but not staying in the middle. As for some of the other things people dislike about Inuyasha (how kagome and Inuyasha keep saying each other's names) yea it happens. and yea after you watch so many episodes your able to predict what Inuyasha or Kagome is gonna say next >.> but its not all that bad. I suppose you just get used to it. More so I think that many times where you actually hear them saying the others name its more like a mental thought expressed out loud if that makes any sense.

So then, I am not saying Inuyasha doesn't have its faults. But still to completely ride it off as a horrible anime or at least one that you really dislike is a bit unfair. In general when I find I thought an anime could have been better on first viewing I often watch that same anime two or three times with an open mind and then I realize I was wrong in my initial thoughts of the anime but I don't suppose many people do this since it is easier to dislike something rather than to find ways to like it.

In conclusion maybe giving Inuyasha another chance could be worthwhile for you (so long as you don't start watching it saying and repeating how much you hate it).
Randolph 02-15-2006 10:37 AM
I find it interesting you mention the Weapon Upgrade Arcs, Ace.
Frankly, I find those types of plots to have no value at all.
All they accomplish is granting a character a more powerful toy with which
to whack demons. They then supplement this by providing
a proportionally larger demon to whack. Which then requires a stronger weapon, which then accrues a larger demon, etc.

When I say Inuyasha could be told in 26 or even fewer episodes,
I mean it could be done with the relatively useless parts removed,
and focusing only on the truly interesting elements (such as the racial and
personal elements you described).

With a bit of weeding, it could be vastly improved. It has a lot of good points,
but some very bad execution. It's a good, heartwarming, rousing story
trying to shine through a haze of repitition and mediocrity.

Also, repitition is utterly uncalled for, regardless of the length of the
series. If the show is good enough, and I have forgotten an important point,
I can go back and watch the old episodes on DVD to catch what I missed.
I don't need a whole 'nother episode just to refresh my memory.
Ace378 02-15-2006 11:58 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Randolph
I find it interesting you mention the Weapon Upgrade Arcs, Ace.
Frankly, I find those types of plots to have no value at all.
All they accomplish is granting a character a more powerful toy with which
to whack demons. They then supplement this by providing
a proportionally larger demon to whack. Which then requires a stronger weapon, which then accrues a larger demon, etc.

Well I can see your point as valid. And now that I think about it just about all of his weapon upgrades (excluding the last one I suppose) follow what you said. But more than not ima gamer. And, as a gamer I guess I can realize the importance of getting a new weapon or upgrade even if it does mean that bigger stronger enemies come with it. Even so having a plot to go with getting a new weapon is better than just handing it to him.

However, I suppose your right, its like "when does it end?" he gets a weapon upgrade the enemies get stronger, he gets another upgrade the enemies get stronger still. Though that is, how it goes isn't it? I mean if you never get stronger, you will never be able to advance and meet new challenges. Besides there are only a couple of upgrades Inuyasha gets and it’s not like its only about getting a new upgrade. Like the upgrade to burst through barriers. Well the upgrde has its own arc but then the upgrade is used just a little while later in another episode while trying to save Kagome so its not like it is completely useless ya know?
Nine Kuze 02-15-2006 01:56 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Cerpin Taxt

More or less, except DBZ had more interesting and more involved villains. To be honest, I'm a big InuYasha fan (there, I said it. Shut up.) and what got me interested in the series was the realtionship between all the characters. Sadly, that disappeared after a hot minute because the series has just gotten... boring. The characters and the story was interesting in the beginning, but now everything already been done and I'm kind of just waiting for it to end.

I've read that people think the series could have ended in 26 episodes as others think that the story needs more than that. Actually, I think the series should have ended at the end of all that "Band of Seven" crap but really, you can knock InuYasha don't to around a 52 episode showing like FullMetal Alchemist is.

I'm still into the series (to a degree) but I think people "hate" it because its gotten too damn repetitive, its too damn long where it doesn't even have to be, and the plot and the characters are now just too damn predictable and unfortunatly, too damn annoying.
Peace.
Ace378 02-15-2006 02:17 PM
Actually of all of the story arcs in Inuyasha I think the band of seven one has to be the most drawn out one (err well of course except for the whole looking for shards arc ya know). But to say end it there you would be missing out on a whole bunch! Once again its true that it is repetitive (if I had to see another recap episode explain about Inuyasha and Kikyo I am not sure I could have made it) (except of course for the last recap episode of Inuyasha and Kikyo which actually explains a lot more than any other recap ep) but for those of you who have stuck with Inuyasha I would say keep watching it. The story does inevitable gain momentum and turns out to be really really good.

Hmm well it would seem as though I have been defending Inuyasha quite a bit. And thats not so bad since I really do like the series. However upon reflection this thread is about why people hate Inuyasha. Thus i suppose i have gone off topic. My apologies.

Thanks for your time,
Ace378
Gato Gurl914 02-15-2006 02:34 PM
those are all good points. i agree that "filler" episodes don't need to be there. take for example one from a few weeks ago "Master Shippo and the Heart Scar" (i think) you don't see this stuff in the manga. and its just plain boring. now the Band of seven arc was very entertaining to me at least. i think that if they didn't drag things out so much, there wouldn't be so much hate

on a side note i believe the final episode dosent even have them killing naraku! from what i was told, they just agree to keep searching for him.
Nine Kuze 02-15-2006 02:36 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Ace378
The story does inevitable gain momentum and turns out to be really really good.

Oh, it better. Or else.

Nah, I'm just playing and its not a bad thing at all that you're defending InuYasha. I really like the series too so I understand (although, I think it would be wise to watch our backs. Big Grin ).

Another thing is that there are way too many filler episodes. I mean, sometimes it goes from the main plot of finding Naraku and the jewel shards to Inuyasha and Kagome's relationship to an episode about Shippo (why he needs episodes, I have no earthly idea) to Miroku spitting his game to every woman he sees and Sango getting pissed to Kagome and Inuyasha in the present time doing nothing and back to the main plot again. We know a fillers an needed a series to loosen things up, but InuYasha has enough fillers to start another completely new series. Not that anybody (including me) wants that...

Also, over last weekend, I was watching the old episodes of InuYasha. Like the one were Miroku is introduced for the first time and after watching it, I was like: Damn, what the hell happened to this show? The earlier episodes were so interesting and entertaining and then, it just went downhill like you know what.

I blame Naraku.

quote:
Originally posted by GatoGurl914
on a side note i believe the final episode dosent even have them killing naraku! from what i was told, they just agree to keep searching for him.

Unfortunatly, that's true and which makes the 4,789 episodes that we've watched sort of like a waste of time. It kind of begs the question of if the enemy was even killed than what the hell is the point?
Peace.
David Ryder 02-15-2006 02:37 PM
quote:

I think somewhere, one of the producers said if people wanna see the end then they have to buy the entire manga, all 40+ vols.