why so much hate?

Nine Kuze 03-29-2006 12:28 PM
Yeah, I my have spoken too soon when I said InuYasha was makin' a "comeback". I checked out the latest episode and man, did that suck hard. The four ninja villains, pathetic and that barrier and vaccum/black hole thing they had at the end was straight out of Dragonball Z. You know Garlic Jr. wants his plot back.

quote:
Hell, speaking of unoriginal, the main bad guy’s design is like a mirror image of the first movie villain.

Oh, good. I thought I was the only one who thought the same thing. And it was bothering me the whole damn time too. I kept thinking, "I could have sworn that I've seen this sucka before." Although his story with the woman who betrayed him and his views on humans is remotely interesting, even though its basically Inuyasha's own story with Kikyo just watered down.

quote:
As far as this latest thing goes, the only thing even remotely original was the story about the two weapons.

That's true. The swords angle is rather kind of interesting although they've played the sh*t out of this soooo many times before. The preview for the next episode looks alright, but then again, I said that last week and look at the crap we were handed this week. Just bad.
Peace.
David Ryder 03-29-2006 12:55 PM
I think in the future there needs to be a rule that a show can't go over 100 episodes unless the source material can actually keep the show fresh... a perfect example would be berserk. They should re do the whole anime and start from vol 1 and keep going. It would be over 100 episodes but hey it would hardly ever repeat itself. I for one would pay to see charecter's like Silat, Grunbeld, and Skull Knight.
Raven 03-29-2006 01:02 PM
The fights in Inuyasha aren't even close to being fresh and interesting. Back about 70 episodes ago, a Windscar would be a big thing. Now you have to see it 7 or 8 times an episode. You'd think they'd be able to come up with more than 4 attacks for Inuyasha by now...

As for dragging out the series, that's a no brainer. Only about 3 things even remotely important to the plot has happened in the past 40 episodes. Most animes I've seen have more development in a single episode than this has in over a hundred and fifty.
David Ryder 03-29-2006 01:06 PM
Speaking of new skills, but is it just me or are they becoming a little too similar...I mean InuYasha gets a new one every five episodes. But it's not like the manga is any better, in fact it sucks, kinda like most of takahashi's stuff.
Randolph 03-29-2006 01:09 PM
I've said more than once that all of Inu-Yasha's most vital elements could be condensed into a single 13-episode season. That would be more than enough to tell the entire story to satisfaction. In fact, it might be too much. Make it six. Cram the entire series into six episodes, and we might have a winner.
David Ryder 03-29-2006 01:13 PM
Randolph is right, InuYasha can be done with ease with 13 episodes's with no problem at all if ya ask me. After the first 10 maybe, it got stale, and I will say it now, Kagome is so cookie cutter it's sad.
Nine Kuze 03-29-2006 01:41 PM
quote:
The fights in Inuyasha aren't even close to being fresh and interesting. Back about 70 episodes ago, a Windscar would be a big thing. Now you have to see it 7 or 8 times an episode. You'd think they'd be able to come up with more than 4 attacks for Inuyasha by now...

That's true. The windscar was the biggest thing since sliced demons. Now its the only he does now and he does so damn much its not even that threatning or powerful.

quote:
I've said more than once that all of Inu-Yasha's most vital elements could be condensed into a single 13-episode season. That would be more than enough to tell the entire story to satisfaction. In fact, it might be too much. Make it six. Cram the entire series into six episodes, and we might have a winner.

It's true that InuYasha is WAY TOO DAMN LONG but I don't think 13 would cut it. If you want to be serious about it, I think around FullMetal Alchemist's length would be just right, give or take. That or maybe even 26, but I think that would rush the hell out of it. I don't know of anime that can be reduced to six episodes and be successful. Except for FLCL, which is just brilliant.

quote:
and I will say it now, Kagome is so cookie cutter it's sad.

That's one of the things that got me interested in InuYasha was Kagome. She was so damn cool and interesting in the beginning. Now, she just has flashes of her old self, but yeah, its gone to the point of where she's just somewhat of a shell of her former self and you couldn't pick her out from all the other hundreds of anime school girls like her. But its not her fault. I blame the writers (funny...) and the series as a whole for continuing the way it has.
Peace.
David Ryder 03-29-2006 01:52 PM
26 would be plenty. I'm still fail to see how InuYasha has dragged on for so long. Here's the general flow of the show....

1. New bad guy appears
2. InuYasha, makes some "Bad Ass" comment then....
3. "OMFG WIND SCAR!!!! ROX!!!
4. They kill off Sesshomaru (what the !@#$, really he was the only good charecter...)
5. InuYasha learns yet another new skill.
6. Miroku does something perverted. "HAHA OMFG! He grabs some cheek!!! BRILLENT!!!"
7. Random demons attack.
8. Repeat.
Nine Kuze 03-29-2006 02:00 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Gaddes
26 would be plenty. I'm still fail to see how InuYasha has dragged on for so long. Here's the general flow of the show....

1. New bad guy appears
2. InuYasha, makes some "Bad Ass" comment then....
3. "OMFG WIND SCAR!!!! ROX!!!
4. They kill off Sesshomaru (what the !@#$, really he was the only good charecter...)
5. InuYasha learns yet another new skill.
6. Miroku does something perverted. "HAHA OMFG! He grabs some cheek!!! BRILLENT!!!"
7. Random demons attack.
8. Repeat.

Actually, Gaddes my man, they haven't killed off Sesshomaru. Thank GOD too, because that would only make the series worse than it already is.

The thing is, steps 6 , 7, and 8 take about 10 episodes... each. And that's where the real problem is, way too many fillers, not enough on the main plot.

Speaking of main plot, what the HELL happened to Naraku? Weren't they looking for him and the jewel shards? That's pretty bad when the few people who actually still watch the show can't remember the main plot that well. Talk about a poor plotline.
Peace.
David Ryder 03-29-2006 02:18 PM
quote:
they haven't killed off Sesshomaru.

Good news, because he's the only guy that is even remotely interesting.

quote:
what the HELL happened to Naraku?

no kidding, it's like they just tossed him out and are doing a "villian of the week" type of deal and the bad guy's keep getting worse every episode.
Randolph 03-29-2006 02:44 PM
When I talk about reducing Inu-Yasha to 13 or even six episodes, I mean it in that a lot of things besides just filler being removed. Things that don't really contribute overall, I mean. In short, re-writing more or less the whole thing to get whatever point it had to make across as quickly as possible and shut up.

At least 80% of the show's current content could go, and that's a conservative estimate. Several characters could be dropped out which have little to offer besides weak comic relief *coughmirokucough*, or a useless cute factor *coughshippocough*. It will then need a defined direction, a defined villain and with some kind of interesting backstory besides I DEID AT TEH HANDS OF TEH HUNTAA AND I ABSORBS TEH DEMENS AND NOW OMFG I LIVE AND I WAN 2 KIL J00.

I think the root concept is salvageable, and I like a lot of the characters, they have great potential. It's just not being properly explored.

EDIT: I just thought of the most humorous thing that could have happened to Miroku.
He's in the midst of groping some poor girl. The prayer beads on his hand slip off his wrist, and the unlucky lass gets her ass sucked into the Wind Tunnel.
It's not even all that funny, but it make make things a bit more lively. I could even see that as a running gag.
Nine Kuze 03-29-2006 03:05 PM
quote:
At least 80% of the show's current content could go, and that's a conservative estimate. Several characters could be dropped out which have little to offer besides weak comic relief *coughmirokucough*, or a useless cute factor *coughshippocough*.

Yeah the 80% is being fairly generous and I see what you're saying, Randolph. But Miroku needs to stay, although he does do some of the stupidest things in the show. They can buyout Shippo's contract because I never really liked the hairball from the very first episode they aired of him.

quote:
I DEID AT TEH HANDS OF TEH HUNTAA AND I ABSORBS TEH DEMENS AND NOW OMFG I LIVE AND I WAN 2 KIL J00

What?

quote:
I think the root concept is salvageable, and I like a lot of the characters, they have great potential. It's just not being properly explored.

This is true. Everything to one degree or another is rather good. Its just that the direction sucks and becasue of the length of the anime (and I guess you can throw the manga in here too), the characters have gotten very stale and generic.

quote:
I just thought of the most humorous thing that could have happened to Miroku. He's in the midst of groping some poor girl. The prayer beads on his hand slip off his wrist, and the unlucky lass gets her ass sucked into the Wind Tunnel.

That would be kind of funny and actually, with all the godawful fillers they've had, I'm surprised this hasn't even happened yet.
Peace.
Sharpshooter005 03-29-2006 03:11 PM
quote:
EDIT: I just thought of the most humorous thing that could have happened to Miroku.

May I just say. This would be at least five times more amusing than the "LOL HE FELL DOWN CUZ KAGOME YELLED AT HIM" gag.
Asirt 03-29-2006 03:14 PM
For me, Inuyasha was a interesting show in the beginning when it first aired on Adult Swim. I actually liked the characters and the animation style as well. The storyline was a bit long and weary, but it was good in the first 40-50 episodes. I lost interest since. The story lost its focus, and the characters just didn't seem that interesting anymore. The show probably could very well be finished in 26 or 52 episodes, depending on the story.

quote:
They can buy out Shippo's contract because I never really liked the hairball from the very first episode they aired of him.

Agreed. He isn't that strong either, so yeah.

It's been such a long time since I've seen Inuyasha that I've lost interest in the series now. I perfer a series that lasts either 26 or less episodes (Fullmetal Alchemist, Powerpuff Girls Z and Super GALS! are the only exceptions), but that's just me.

--------------------------------------------------------

quote:
May I just say. This would be at least five times amusing than the "LOL HE FELL DOWN CUZ KAGOME YELLED AT HIM" gag.

Indeed. Big Grin

[Damn this curse on my hand. I will never get any now. Frown ] Big Grin
Randolph 03-29-2006 03:18 PM
Why thank you, Sharpie and Asirt.

To tell the truth, the reason Miroku's Wind Tunnel never got the better of his lechery is probably due to that he has never groped with that hand, unless my memory fails me. He's been wary enough to use other hand for that purpose. Ah, the stories it could tell.

He might be a part of the cast, and he might be slightly amusing... but I can't really think of any valid reasons for him to stay, other than that people seem to like him for some strange reason.

Of course, Sango was a fairly interesting character as well... but how much has she really contributed? I wonder if she could be booted successfully as well...

...probably not.
Sharpshooter005 03-29-2006 03:21 PM
quote:
I wonder if she could be booted successfully as well...

Spin-off series where...every episode is just her mowing down swarms of enemies with the boomerang?

Kind of like After-Mash but the premise makes slightly more sense.
Nine Kuze 03-29-2006 03:32 PM
quote:
To tell the truth, the reason Miroku's Wind Tunnel never got the better of his lechery is probably due to that he has never groped with that hand, unless my memory fails me. He's been wary enough to use other hand for that purpose. Ah, the stories it could tell.

Nah, he's used that hand before. It was the first episode where Miroku appeared and he used to suck Inuyasha into the Wind Tunnel. Kagome got herself sucked up on purpose to stop Miroku because he didn't want to hurt anybody, just Inuyasha. Anyway, when Kagome crashed right into Miroku and the two were knocked out on the ground. Inuyasha came to check on her and the two were talking when Miroku takes his right hand and gropes her on the rear end. That was actually one of the series funniest moments.

quote:
Spin-off series where...every episode is just her mowing down swarms of enemies with the boomerang?

A Sango spin-off series actually sounds more interesting than the actual show at this point in time. And Sango needs to stay. Defintely needs to stay.

quote:
Kind of like After-Mash but the premise makes slightly more sense.

Exactly. Big Grin Or maybe like how Frazier was a spin-off of Cheers, except with less big words.
Peace.
David Ryder 03-29-2006 03:35 PM
quote:
and I guess you can throw the manga in here too

40+ vol's and counting. Just like the anime, it goes no where.

And speaking of charecter's that need to go...Yeah shippo, he really serve's no purpose.

Miroku is also a waste."OMFG!!! Wind Tunnle thingy!!!! ROX!!! HEY SANGO, GUESS WHAT?!1?!" *cops a feel for the 800th time.*

Sango is another charecter that is just kinda there. "BOOMERANG ATTACK!! GOOOOOO!!!!!" Enemy dodge's and slap her around.* "OMFG INUYASHA!!!! LIKE HELP!"

and thus we have both of their roles summed up right there.
Randolph 03-29-2006 03:44 PM
Let me see if I can't somehow summarize this show and find the real problems.

1. Kagome is a girl from the modern era. Normal, casual kid with no real outstanding qualities. Okay.

2. Kagome falls down a well and goes back in time. I could imagine there is a much more creative way to do this.

3. Inuyasha is tacked to a tree by an arrow that was shot into him by Kikyo, who was his romantic interest at some point, who is also Kagome in a former life, who has the Shikkoun jewel buried in her body for whatever purpose, and it shows up hundreds of years later in Kagome's body and activates the... whatever.
There's the problem. It got too convoluted.

What they could have done was this:
Kagome goes back in time, meets Inuyasha. Inuyasha is tacked to a tree, but not by Kikyo. In fact, ditch Kikyo from the story completely. He was put there by a random priest of some village who hates demons. There's the whole racial schtick in a nutshell; humans and demons don't get along, and have the half-breed Inuyasha as the poster child of unity.
Naraku perpatrates the stereotype of demonic evil and Inu and Kagome go bust him up, making peace. TA-DA.

Well, that's the best I can do on such short notice, but it still sounds more interesting than what we have now.
David Ryder 03-29-2006 03:47 PM
*bows before Randolph's sumerization might*

But really you summed it perfectly.