So, y'know.. Mech games.

Brock 02-12-2006 10:58 PM
Giant robots, mechs, mechas, etc.. There've been plenty of games for them. Armored Core, Mech Assault.. So, what's your favorite Mech Game? What game makes you feel 50 feet tall and want to step on the new Ferrari that dares to stand in your path?

Me, I liked "Shogo: Mobile Armor Division". Albeit, it's a bit older now ( 1998, I believe ).. But it was good for it's time, and is still loads of fun today. There were two kinds of levels: MCA, and On-Foot. Of course, you couldn't just get out of your mech and run around.. But if you were tired of melting metal ( and who is? ), you could always play an On-Foot level / map for a while instead ( AKA "playing as a squishie" ).

It had a nice, though short, storyline.. Good music, good design, awesome multiplayer, and it still has a small, die-hard community that will play online and are still making mods and maps for the game.
Inigo Montoya 02-12-2006 11:11 PM
I liked Starsiege. It had a good storyline, decent graphics, great gameplay and efficient and logical mechs. They looked like they could exist.
Mike 02-12-2006 11:15 PM
Armored Core is hard.

I had this one game, called..G-NOME. It came on this computer I got a real long time ago. It was fairly good, there were a bunch of different mecha and you could get out on foot and steal them. I never finished it though. And I never ever saw it for sale by itself.

I like Mechwarrior 4. It doesn't show internal damage like 3 did but it was longer and had less of the "oh crap, I'm going to run out of ammo because I didn't salvage enough in the last mission and I don't have enough armor left to repair myself!" thing. Also, you can drive an Atlas. Even though my favorites were Thor and MadCat.
Randolph 02-13-2006 02:05 AM
SHOGO: MAD was a very good game indeed. I still have it on my hard disk. I haven't played it almost a year though.

Armored Core 3 may have been the most boring giant robot game I have ever seen. I literally fall asleep trying to put my mecha parts together. The music is positively hypnotic, in a bad way.

For a good Mecha title... uh, I haven't played too many. Shogo was more of an FPS than an honest Mecha game.

The robot fights on Goemon's Great Adventure and the n64 Mystical Ninja were excellent. Giant robot + ukelele hawaiian = pwnage.

I will not even mention Mechwarrior 2. Just because.
M.S. Feather 02-13-2006 05:55 AM
My favorite mech series would probably have to be the Super Robot Wars games. I've only played untranslated ROMs, so I can’t really say much for the stories. Tongue
But the Gameplay itself is wonderful. The attack animations are lovely and I really enjoy the strategy involved. Plus, what's better than having all of your favorite mechs from different series battling side by side?

Xenogears has also always been a favorite of mine. I also really liked Front Mission 3, it was a pretty cool strategy RPG.

I haven't played to many mech games on this generations consoles however. I think the last one I played was Gundam Side Story 0079 for the Dreamcast. I didn't really like the games controls...I guess it kind of scared me off of further mech games because I wasn’t sure how they would handle.

Ooh, I am really looking forward to the new PS3 Gundam game though. I've never really wanted to play a game solely based on looks before but damn, those mechs are gorgeous! ^^
Brock 02-13-2006 05:55 AM
I played Armored Core and Armored Core: Masters of Arena. I liked MoA a lot more.. But then again, I like any game that lets me customize my death machine. And yes, the music got annoying after a while.. While the lack of music in-game was also annoying. I like some sort of tune to listen to while I'm playing.

And ohsh**, I forgot about Mystical Ninja. I loved the Robot Battles in that game.. It's just too bad they were few and far between. .-.
David Ryder 02-13-2006 06:43 AM
I liked Shogo as well. Armored core is good but getting kinda worn out, as they just release exspansions with minor upgrades. Front Mission is also amazing, very realalistic. The gundam games are a mixed bag, well 99% of them suck, Zeonic Front was great and the new one on PS3 looks amazing. The mechwarrior series is ok too, not a huge fan of the designs but I like the Mad Cat. There was an anime styled one by Lucas arts on the SNES the I adored but I can never remember it's name.
paul1290 02-13-2006 08:23 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Mike

I like Mechwarrior 4. It doesn't show internal damage like 3 did but it was longer and had less of the "oh crap, I'm going to run out of ammo because I didn't salvage enough in the last mission and I don't have enough armor left to repair myself!" thing. Also, you can drive an Atlas. Even though my favorites were Thor and MadCat.

Yea, conserving resources in Mechwarrior 3 was really frustrating. Mechwarrior 4 had less options for customizing your mech though, but it was still more fun.
088nd 02-13-2006 08:55 PM
I really like Zone of the Enders, even if it was short, and even if no one else did.
seraphjei 02-28-2006 10:42 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Hyper Metal
I liked Starsiege. It had a good storyline, decent graphics, great gameplay and efficient and logical mechs. They looked like they could exist.

Amen to that, the underrated king of mech games.
Zaku 03-14-2006 09:07 PM
Battletech games are really good. Mechwarrior 2-4 and Mechcommander 1-2 are amazing games, although Mechassault was... disappointing. Lone Wolf was an improvement, but it still didn't feel like a Battletech game.
Asirt 03-14-2006 09:33 PM
Starsiege is to this day, the only mech game that I have ever played. It is also one of my favorite computer games as well. Although the Cybrid missions were very difficult, I still enjoyed both that and the human missions. It was also fun to play online as well. It's too bad that very few people, as seraphjei mentioned, have heard of this game.
Paradigm Dog 03-28-2006 11:07 AM
My top 5 mecha games:

1.) Zone of Enders 2: Second Runner (PS2)
2.) Gundam Side Story 0079: Rise from the Ashes (Dreamcast)
3.) Robotech: Battlecry (PS2/GCN/XBOX)
4.) Gundam: Federation vs. Zeon (PS2/DC)
5.) Virtual-On: Ontario Tangram (DC)
StevieV019 03-29-2006 08:23 AM
I dont know if this counts or not...but I always liked the Front Mission games. Yeah, it was strategy tactics and what not, but I enjoyed them...

I thought Zone of the Enders was fun to play...

And of course I loved Virtual On as well...
Generalissimo D 03-29-2006 03:56 PM
VIRTUAL ON!

That game rocks in 400 different ways.

Arcade only, of course.