Final Destination 3 is the best so far

DorothyFan1 02-10-2006 10:36 PM
I saw Final Destination 3 today...and I loved this film. I would get the DVD right this minute if it was available legally. This is a great movie. What sets it apart from its predecessors is the fact that even the "slow" moments of this film had meaning. Excellent writing by writer/director James Wong. I have to see this movie again because there are some intriguing philosophical questions that he has peppered into this installment that makes you think. Some of the stuff mentioned in this movie was eerie. Like the photograph of the WTC with the huge shadow of an airplane on it taken by a tourist long before Sept 11...an eerie indication that Death does like to play tricks once in a while. I know.

I was watching the movie Titanic for the first time in the theater...and this is the weird thing that happened to me...while I was watching the movie...something was gnawing at me...as if there was something about the film that was trying to tell me something. This feeling of impending dread...not forthe movie..but something "else" was going to happen that mirrored the Titanic. And I swear...that the following actually happened....

During the sequence where we see the Titanic breakup and the bottom half is bobbing in the water like a corkscrew...an image flashed in my mind...the World Trade Center. It came to me completely by surprise. I was stunned and horrified by what I "saw" in my vision...and I never told anybody. Granted...my "vision" happened after events that occurred after the "first" attempt on the WTC back in 1993...but I never in my dreams would have thought of the WTC while watching the movie Titanic as an eerie premonition that something that horrible was going to actually occur.

So viewing this movie for me...was very thought provoking. Plus it got me thinking about something that I conjured up from pure inspiration...especially during the opening credits of Final Destination 3. The opening credits were showing creepy montages of wax clowns on display in carnivals interspersed with fortune telling cards asking "Do you want to know your fate?" Seeing that sequence suddenly made me come up with this wild thought...what if death and fate were intertwined? What if our deaths are fated to happen the way they occur whenever they do happen? What would this mean? My wild theory on this is...death is necessary to ensure that fate can't be changed. If our fates can be changed..so can our deaths be as well.

Another wild theory related to the above I've come up with is this...why did the woman in the movie get those premonitions of impending death? Like why did I suddenly get that image of the WTC flash in my mind while watching Titanic? My theory is this...time/space is not constant and uniform throughout the universe...and that there are "bubbles" of time and space floating out of sync that bounce around..and some people who are both knowingly or even unknowingly gifted may get "hit" by these bubbles of time/space..and therefore are able to "see" what the future may bring. Since time/space is infinite...and there is no sense of linear time in the time/space continuum...we may sometimes "see" what we're not supposed to see. It's just like the woman Helen in the movie who says "Why me?"

Anyway...food for thought. The action in this film is well done...watch out for the tanning salon scene...I thought it was brilliantly done...yet horrifying to watch. I'm surprised this movie didn't get an NC-17 and I suspect it probably got cut to avoid that rating. The ending is definitely a surprise and it leaves things open for interpretation.
David Ryder 02-11-2006 12:19 AM
aren't the final destination movies just blood bath "horror" movies that pretend to be though provoking? Judging by lines like this "Do you want to know your fate?", it's basically saying we all die but you guys get to die in the most awful ways we can come up with.
Travis Bickle 02-11-2006 01:39 AM
You know what's funny? A friend and I actually went to see it today to see how bad it would be. And we were right. It sucked horribly. It sucked worse than War of the Worlds, When A Stranger Calls, any of the Exorcist prequels and Rob Schnieder movies combined. Oh dear God it sucked.
Generalissimo D 02-11-2006 09:37 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Cerpin Taxt
You know what's funny? A friend and I actually went to see it today to see how bad it would be. And we were right. It sucked horribly. It sucked worse than War of the Worlds, When A Stranger Calls, any of the Exorcist prequels and Rob Schnieder movies combined. Oh dear God it sucked.

Don't walk into any of the Final Destination movies expecting any sort of quality or point. They are comedies.

I'm hoping this one's as funny as the other two.
Sharpshooter005 02-11-2006 10:43 AM
I never really was that into the final destination movies, but James Wong gets a pass since he wrote some fairly awesome episodes of x-files and millennium.

(Yes I am shilling for people to buy the dvd sets of Millennium. If theres even a slim chance there would be a movie, or even better, another station picking it up, then I'm all for it.)
Nine Kuze 02-16-2006 03:03 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Zaphod Beeblebrox
quote:
Originally posted by Cerpin Taxt

Don't walk into any of the Final Destination movies expecting any sort of quality or point. They are comedies.

I'm hoping this one's as funny as the other two.

It was pretty damn bad, but not as bad as what CT and Zaphod mention. Surprise you didn't throw in the Fantastic Four, CT. Big Grin

Anyway, this is one of the mysteries in the movie industry that I'm trying to figure out. Why would anybody continue this franchise and make a third movie? Hell, why in the world was their a sequel in the first place. The first one was straight, nothing special but the sequels were just god awful. It's so bad I not even sure that I can call it comedy, I was just laughing because it was so damn pitful. At least comedies are supposed to make you laugh. Man...
Peace.
DorothyFan1 02-16-2006 06:18 PM
quote:

why did the woman in the movie get those premonitions of impending death? Like why did I suddenly get that image of the WTC flash in my mind while watching Titanic? My theory is this...time/space is not constant and uniform throughout the universe...and that there are "bubbles" of time and space floating out of sync that bounce around..and some people who are both knowingly or even unknowingly gifted may get "hit" by these bubbles of time/space..and therefore are able to "see" what the future may bring. Since time/space is infinite...and there is no sense of linear time in the time/space continuum...we may sometimes "see" what we're not supposed to see. Just like Wendy in the movie who says "Why me?"

I don't understand why people who read this thread are ignoring my theory. Sure...it may be laughable...but it does have an interesting premise that might actually be theoretically possible. People are simply pouring horse manure on the movie and not thinking about the philosophical quandaries this theory about "death" entails. Fine. Whatever. But I wrote the article to accentuate my belief and theory on why some premonitions happen and I'm disappointed nobody has picked up on this. Shame.
Sharpshooter005 02-16-2006 06:28 PM
quote:
Like why did I suddenly get that image of the WTC flash in my mind while watching Titanic?

4 years prior to Titanic coming out, there was a truck bomb...so..yeah. Something had already happened, albeit on a much smaller scale.

Maybe you live near where it was? Or saw it? Theres alot of factors here.

What I found sort of amusing in a "thats odd" sort of way. James Wong wrote or produced or..something, the short lived x-files spinoff The Lone Gunmen

One episode featured a remote controlled passanger aircraft being rerouted so it would collide with...yep, you guessed it.

edit:Alll this talk about that movie...I could go into how Titanic was just a typical 1980s class warfare plot formula, but with a ship sinking at the end instead of a breakdancing contest to save some type of civic center. But...seriously, we all knew that. It was breakin 2: electric boogaloo with an iceberg. And by breakin 2 I really mean almost any movie of that type..they were all identical.