Gideon Freudmann

Generalissimo D 02-07-2006 05:47 PM
Who is this man?

And why is he coming to my school?
Hobodoken 02-07-2006 05:52 PM
quote:
Originally posted by some website
Gideon Freudmann is on a one-man mission to rescue the cello from NPR pomposity. Rather than dwell on classical music's calcified past, he uses his instrument to explore new sonic possibilities. He can saw off a lovely melody whenever he wishes, as he demonstrates on "Tuscany", but he specializes in the offbeat and unusual. His version of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" does for that hoary old chestnut what Jimi Hendrix did for the national anthem. "Due Course" could be the B side of a Beatles single, while the tile cut is cello funk. And what can you say about tunes with names like "Hasidic Jig" and "Abra Cadaver"? In "Good Old Boy" he even makes a foray into cello bluegrass. This album also includes some solid vocal work and some truly bizarre lyrics. Take that, NPR.
**** (4 stars)

=O

Yay Google! =D
Travis Bickle 02-07-2006 07:00 PM
He's a cellist. I think that's how you spell it. My grandmother likes him, for some odd reason.
Generalissimo D 02-08-2006 10:03 PM
OH.

MY.

SELF.

I saw the concert...final bill counting the CD I snagged(signed too!) is 25 bucks.

To put it simply, it was awesome. I didn't think you could be so f***ing metal with an electric cello.

Hasidic Jig was one of the strangest things I've heard in a while. Irish Jews!