Act 3:Electric City

Roger_Smith 02-07-2006 01:31 PM
There's a confusion about this episode and all the series.

-First in Act 10 it is said that after the Event, the world have been destroyed and there's only in Paradigm City where the people live normally. Do the society Paradigm knows about the existence of Electric City ? Sure thing, they send Roger in this city !
-Then in Act 16 Roger wonders if there's people outside paradigm, does he forgot his combat with the giant electric snake in electric city ?
-Then we learn bout the existence of the union, in Act 22 Alex said there's stranger outisde paradigm but they're all "wanderers" as he forgot Electric city who is a town like all the others ?

PS:Just an additional detail in act 3 why Roger screams when the creature is charging electricity ? Does he think it's the end ? Is he frightened by the monster ?
A Clockwork Tomato 02-07-2006 05:04 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Roger_Smith

-First in Act 10 it is said that after the Event, the world have been destroyed and there's only in Paradigm City where the people live normally. Do the society Paradigm knows about the existence of Electric City ? Sure thing, they send Roger in this city !

Weird, isn't it? Alex Rosewater clearly thinks that the people who live outside the domes are worthless scum who all deserve to die, though he's dependent on these people for lots of things, including electricity.

Well, bigotry is like that.

Presumably, when you peel away the layers of prejudice and ignorance, what people mean is that everything outside of the city is unimportant and doesn't really count. "There's no one there. Well, no one important. At least, there aren't any other countries. Well, there are, but they're not REAL countries..."

One thing I like about the show is that a lot of what passes for fact is really just denial -- just like real life!
paul1290 02-08-2006 08:48 PM
It might be possible that Electric City is one of several smaller cities outside Paradigm that are under the control of Paradigm's government and may be considered part of Paradigm City.
Spoderman 02-09-2006 08:05 PM
Electric City is a horrible episode.

Seriously.

Its only slightly worse than Day of the Advent... and possibly Bring Back My Ghost.
Lost_Cyborg 02-10-2006 08:00 AM
Roger screamed because he was electrocuted wasn't he?
Spoderman 02-10-2006 04:23 PM
quote:
PS:Just an additional detail in act 3 why Roger screams when the creature is charging electricity ? Does he think it's the end ? Is he frightened by the monster ?

Do you laugh when you're in pain?
SmothPocket 02-10-2006 09:43 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Roger_Smith

-Then in Act 16 Roger wonders if there's people outside paradigm, does he forgot his combat with the giant electric snake in electric city ?
-Then we learn bout the existence of the union, in Act 22 Alex said there's stranger outisde paradigm but they're all "wanderers" as he forgot Electric city who is a town like all the others ?

Maybe Electric City is Just the name they gave it because thats that the sign said after "the event". I always saw it as a part of paradigm... kind of like a suburb.

quote:
as he forgot Electric city who is a town like all the others ?

like i said i think it is more of a "town" and not a city. In a way i feel that all the domes are different "towns" or regions of the city.
Roger_Smith 02-12-2006 08:57 AM
quote]Originally posted by paul1290
It might be possible that Electric City is one of several smaller cities outside Paradigm that are under the control of Paradigm's government and may be considered part of Paradigm City.[/quote]

But when Roger comes in the city we can see "Welcome in Eletric City"

quote:
Originally posted by Lost_Cyborg
Roger screamed because he was electrocuted wasn't he?

No, i talk about the moment when the old men climb in the tower, the monster open his mouth and looks like he is trying to charging electricity, he doesn't electrify the Big O.
Mattartist 02-26-2006 01:12 PM
... I do believe you are refering to a "gasp"... Big Grin
Mrs. Beck 03-02-2006 04:03 PM
Yeah, I always found that odd. However, there's quite a few things in some of the episodes like that that really don't make sense when put into the rest of the series. When I say 'episodes like that', I mean the ones that - in my oppinion - were a bore to sit through, and really aren't all that interesting. It's the only one besides 'Bring Back My Ghost' that I skip when rewatching the series (Yay for DVDs!).

But back on topic, Roger really doesn't scream when it's charging ... I don't seem to recall that at all. It's a different story when the darned snake-thingy electricutes him, but ... hey, electricity isn't so nice when it's going through your entire body, y'know?
SEELE 08 03-02-2006 05:52 PM
Electric City is one of my least favorite episodes. Kind of boring and everytime it's on AS it seems to be the only episode I catch. I wound up just buying both seasons to make myself happy and see something other than Electric City.....blech! Oh Well
Ollen70 03-02-2006 09:51 PM
Yeah, I sort of wonder if maybe they hadn't completely figured out where they were going with the plot when they wrote electric city. There are some other things that aren't quite right in that episode either. I'm pretty sure, at one point, there's a scene that shows the night sky, which wouldn't work because of what we know about Paradigm's sky.

But over all, I thought of electric city as an extension of Paradigm, since there's a contract with the Paradigm group. It's kind of like the part of Paradigm across the river that you only see in the aerial shots. Because there aren't any domes there, it's like it doesn't really count, like Clockwork Tomato said. Either way, I don't really see electric city being outside of Paradigm's control - definitely not a rival city.
Randolph 03-02-2006 10:01 PM
Actually, there are stars in more than one episode, I believe.
Also, as is mentioned in Act 16, the people of Paradigm-- or at least,
Alex and Roger-- know what stars are. Now, that could just be the
Memories talking, or they've seen them before. Paradigm can't be cloudy
all the time.

It would make sense that the "Stage Lights" could dim or
break light and simulate stars. The Simulation would need to be realistic, no?
StevieV019 03-03-2006 07:35 AM
Wow...no love at all for the 3rd episode. Electric City is one of my favorite, if not my favorite episode. Its kinda basic in nature, but I think it really starts to show the depth of Paradigm City and exactly how involved Roger gets with his job. Plus, the way they present the episode is incredible in my opinion. Being that it was the first episode of Big O I ever saw, I could be slightly biased, but I always get a kick out of seeing it...

Electric City is part of Paradigm City. If you go by the theory that Paradigm City is based upon New York City...its not far fetched to think that Electric City is part of the Paradigm City proper. Im going to have to yield to our New York residents on this one, but isnt "New York" or "the City" really just Manhattan? I could be wrong...but that was always my impression. However, you've got all the burroughs and surrounding areas so close to the city that Ive always thought of New York City encompassing all the surrounding areas and such. Technically, thats probably incorrect...but at the same time, Ive met and known people who say their from New York when actually their from Brooklyn, or Queens, or the Bronx, or Long Island, Staten Island, etc. I think Electric City is actually one of these burroughs or a surrounding area that is close by.
Spoderman 03-03-2006 09:26 PM
Sorry, Electric City ranks among Missing Cat, Bring Back My Ghost, Day of the Advent, and Daemonseed as being sub par... if not completely unwatchable.

When I was showing Big O to two of my friends, one of them turned to me during Electric City and exclaimed: "This is really corny, George."

This part of the First Season is trash in my opinion. Now, when I introduce people to Big O, I skip those episodes, and my friends seem to like it MUCH MORE. The second season is amazing, but these few episodes could have been done soooo much better. These episodes only serve to offer minimal character development (for characters you really never see again!) and Roger/Dorothy interaction.

I really don't see the need to develop characters that already have entire episodes devoted to them (Roger has acts 13/14 all to himself, Dastun has Winter Night Phantom, Dorothy's character is developed CONSTANTLY...etc)

I apologize if I'm stomping your artistic beliefs, but I just don't think any of those episodes can hold a candle to the rest of the series.

The jury is still out on A Legacy of Amadeus. It serves to illustrate the humanity of certain androids, but what the hell is up with the villain? Sure, Gieseng is evil, but they could have done a better job of making him look more like an actual person, as opposed to a maniacal blue elf. His death scene is also laughably stupid: Constanze's arm falling on him causes him to mistakenly aim the phonosonic machine at himself... at which point he has enough time to scream. Fantastic.

Also, phonosonic means "sound sound"

lol.
StevieV019 03-07-2006 08:10 AM
Thats fine, to each their own when it comes to opinions...

As for Legacy of Amadeus, again, another great episode, one of the best of the series. The main reason, I like it, as well as Electric City, is that these episodes make Big O standout from other anime series' that are out there. They may be a little eccentric, but they (in my opinion) totally encompass Big O's identity as a show. It helps illustrate just how much of a mystery the city is and what the residents have to deal with. The music, the cinematography, those are the elements that make the episodes standout to me. The stories from the episodes may seem basic and not important with respect to the grand scheme of things of the plot, but the technical aspects (as stated above) of the show and the artistic mastery of the music are what make the episodes so special to me.
Nine Kuze 03-08-2006 12:56 PM
quote:
Originally posted by SEELE 08
Electric City is one of my least favorite episodes. Kind of boring and everytime it's on AS it seems to be the only episode I catch. I wound up just buying both seasons to make myself happy and see something other than Electric City.....blech! Oh Well

Yeah, that's the same for me as well. I don't get get it either. Everytime I want to watch Big O, its always Electric City. But I gotta agree with Stevie and its one of my favorites ones as well.

Legacy of Amadeus sucks in my book. I can never get into it. And I keep asking this around the threads in the Smith Mansion... Why does everybody hate Day of the Advent. I actually like that one.

quote:
When I was showing Big O to two of my friends, one of them turned to me during Electric City and exclaimed: "This is really corny, George."

That's what most people who are new to any type of anime say when they first view it. Haters.

Also, your name is George?
Peace.
Zopwx2 03-08-2006 04:46 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Spoderman
Electric City is a horrible episode.

Seriously.

Its only slightly worse than Day of the Advent... and possibly Bring Back My Ghost.

I'm pretty sure Day of The Advent takes the cake for sh**tiest Big O episode.
Randolph 03-08-2006 04:56 PM
For the record, I also happen to like Day of the Advent.
I do not consider any of Big O's episodes to be "sh**ty".
Some are a bit weaker than others, but they make for
a palatable, enjoyable whole.
Zopwx2 03-08-2006 05:03 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Randolph
For the record, I also happen to like Day of the Advent.
I do not consider any of Big O's episodes to be "sh**ty".
Some are a bit weaker than others, but they make for
a palatable, enjoyable whole.

I'm sorry if I offended your love for the anime.