Terrible american remakes of foriegn films?

Zopwx2 02-07-2006 04:06 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Mike
quote:
Originally posted by Zopwx2
DAMMIT LOOK ITS HILARIOUS INDIANS MAKING FIGHT CLUB EXCEPT ITS JUST FULL OF MATRIX STYLE FIGHTS!

Really? Cool. I thought it would have been a musical like almost every Indian movie.

(thanks for getting back on track. That whole OMGINTERNETS tangent was totally pointless and probably ruined this thread. And it could have been a cool thread, too.)

umm I think its probably a musical too... Big Grin
Mr. Peabody 02-07-2006 04:06 PM
quote:
Originally posted by X Prime
quote:
Originally posted by Sharpshooter005
quote:
"OMFG it's teh r0x, Am3rica is teh sux."

Theres footage of their parliament degenerating into a fistfight though. Which I've ALWAYS said is a practice in government which needs to be encouraged.

I want to see more people getting beaten with gutter percha canes in the senate (or was that the house, I forget...in the 19th century someone basically caned an opponent is my point)

quote:
Might making right in the Senate would be terrible. The Senate is supposed to be the Old Boys Club, not some muscle-bound hot shot brawl

It was sometime before the Civil War... an abolitionist was caned bya southern Democrat.

That incident of which you write about occured on May 22, 1856. It was between Senator Charles Sumner of Massachusetts, and Congressman Preston Brooks of South Carolina.

During this time in America, there were militant groups fighting each other over the possibility of slavery moving into Kansas. These gun battles led to the popular moniker "Bloody Kansas."

Political debate was just as fierce and personal. On May 19, the abolitionist Sumner gave a speech in the Senate in which he criticized President Franklin Pierce and the South. Sumner particuarly singled out Senator Andrew Butler of South Carolina, and made insulting comments about his physical disability. Butler was not in attendance when Sumner gave his speech.

Three days later, Brooks, who was Butler's nephew, marched into the Senate. He stood over Sumner, who was reading some papers at his desk, introduced himself as a relative of Butler's, and began to club Sumner over the head with his cane.

Brooks' cane was soon broken and Sumner was left a bloody mess on the Senate floor. The Massachusetts senator was forced to resign his seat due to his injuries. Brooks also resigned his seat, but hundreds of Southerners sent him relpacement canes for the one he broke defending his uncles' honor.
Generalissimo D 02-07-2006 04:48 PM
quote:
quote:
Might making right in the Senate would be terrible. The Senate is supposed to be the Old Boys Club, not some muscle-bound hot shot brawl

Oh I never said it should or would have any effect on legislation. I just find the mental image of flipping on C-Span only to find Orrin Hatch and Ted Kennedy engaged in a knife fight incredibly amusing somehow.

This is assuming its possible for me to find C-Span any more addictive and entertaining than I already do. Which is sort of doubtful.

California would have taken over the Union by now, if that was true.
Fujiko 02-07-2006 07:50 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Zopwx2
Well now heres what happens when a good american film is ruined in another country: Indian Fight Club

I heard about this. I also heard that they made a remake of Sweet Home Alabama (that one with Reese Witherspoon).

The biggest difference about these films compared to the American ones is that they'll only be six hours longer.

They made an Indian Idol (Pop/American Idol remake). Does that count?
Buck Buck #1 02-07-2006 08:14 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Peabody
quote:
Originally posted by some other guys

Some other stuff

That incident of which you write about occured on May 22, 1856. It was between Senator Charles Sumner of Massachusetts, and Congressman Preston Brooks of South Carolina.

During this time in America, there were militant groups fighting each other over the possibility of slavery moving into Kansas. These gun battles led to the popular moniker "Bloody Kansas."

Political debate was just as fierce and personal. On May 19, the abolitionist Sumner gave a speech in the Senate in which he criticized President Franklin Pierce and the South. Sumner particuarly singled out Senator Andrew Butler of South Carolina, and made insulting comments about his physical disability. Butler was not in attendance when Sumner gave his speech.

Three days later, Brooks, who was Butler's nephew, marched into the Senate. He stood over Sumner, who was reading some papers at his desk, introduced himself as a relative of Butler's, and began to club Sumner over the head with his cane.

Brooks' cane was soon broken and Sumner was left a bloody mess on the Senate floor. The Massachusetts senator was forced to resign his seat due to his injuries. Brooks also resigned his seat, but hundreds of Southerners sent him relpacement canes for the one he broke defending his uncles' honor.

I love that story. That was one of the highlights of AP US history.
seraphjei 02-20-2006 09:05 PM
I don't mean to be a thorn in anyone side but just as many other countries are remkaing foreign films, american is remaking their own share of foreign films as well. e.g. The Ring, The Grudge, My Sassy Girl, Il-Mare, Oldboy. So I really dont think other countries remkaing American films is that bad especially since these days Hollywood is remaking some of their OWN films. Also I am absolutley appaled by the quality of the American remakes. They are indeed better in terms of cinema quality, but they butchered the story and many cultural elements of these films. So go figure.
Spooky 02-20-2006 11:59 PM
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned "Shall We Dance." I haven't seen the American version, but since it stars J-Lo, I can almost for certain say that it is awful.

The Japanese Version was fine. I guess American's are too lazy to read subtitles.

I'm almost waiting for the day when Hollywood remakes "Life is Beautiful." Ha ha ha.
Sharpshooter005 02-21-2006 12:32 AM
The one everyone forgets...probably because it isn't Japanese so I guess it dosen't matter...is the remake of Solaris.

I watched maybe..four minutes of it. And just subconciously wanted to begin writing "Steven Soderbergh is not Andrei Tarkovsky" ten thousand times before mass mailing it to everyone even remotely involved with every hollywood studios (I'm including the custodial staff here). It just isn't supposed to happen, its just not done.

Also...wasn't "My sassy girl" a romantic comedy? If I hate that genre anyway, you'll forgive me if I have trouble believing this is somehow a loss just because it was initially a foreign movie.

EDIT: Fun fact since this was about "bad remakes eminating from India". The director of the remake is Indian. So..maybe there is something going on.

quote:
who the HELL wants to read subtitles if they have a choice?

Going back to Tarkovsky though...if I catch one of you dubbing one of his movies. I do know how to make it look like the air conditioner crushed you "by accident". I'm from New Jersey, I of all people would know how to make an accident befall someone.

Yes I'm irrationally defensive of that one director.

quote:
at least you admit that the defense is irrational.

Well..when am I ever really rational would be the question.
X Prime 02-21-2006 12:33 AM
Ringu is FRIGGING OVERRATED. Yes, I said it. It was never that good in the first place. Second, how in heck do you expect to translate elements only found in one culture!? it's a part of the localization process to make it understandable for the audience. Deal with it.

Lastly, who the HELL wants to read subtitles if they have a choice? As someone who is hearing impaired and reads captions, as well as is a speed reader capable of digesting over 100 pages of Harry Potter in an hour or less, I can tell you right now that subtitles are probably extremely distracting to the average individual... who rightly enough has no real incentive to see a film in a language they don't understand!

The turn this topic has taken reeks of failure. I assign it a value of G-minus: Unusual Failure.

EDIT:

Sharp: Hey, at least you admit that the defense is irrational.
Sharpshooter005 02-21-2006 12:46 AM
quote:
Ringu is FRIGGING OVERRATED.

The whole..."scary little girl" thing, thats sort of what started it right?

If that winds up being overused and ruining the silent hill movie...yeah. Not going to be happy.

quote:
So go figure.

The thing is it is actually more common in India specifically. Their copyright laws were (and still are to a degree) incredibly lax.

It's just the "Bollywood" industry hadn't really taken off internationally or garnered much attention in the west for a while. So nobody really noticed.

quote:
The turn this topic has taken reeks of failure. I assign it a value of G-minus: Unusual Failure.

...We could begin bludgeoning one another with canes?
David Ryder 02-21-2006 02:06 PM
quote:
Ringu is FRIGGING OVERRATED.

I agree on that. Japanophiles have to find something to bitch about at every turn. If it's not how japan is so much better than america, it's how we "ruin" their films. Also isn't Ringu engrish anyways?

quote:
they butchered the story and many cultural elements of these films. So go figure.

Most likely because they wheren't making it for a japanese audience in mind.

quote:
I guess American's are too lazy to read subtitles.

or it could be the fact that most americans, like myself don't care all that much if it's in the "authentic" language.

quote:
"scary little girl" thing

isn't that like every Japanese horror movie? Ringu, Dark Warter, and several others. They are the same movie with slight differences.

This topic is about foriegn countries remaking american films, not "They butched the Ring and other japanese movies!!!"
Nine Kuze 02-21-2006 02:43 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Spooky
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned "Shall We Dance." I haven't seen the American version, but since it stars J-Lo, I can almost for certain say that it is awful.

I'm almost waiting for the day when Hollywood remakes "Life is Beautiful." Ha ha ha.

Oh, don't worry about the American version of "Shall We Dance". It was rather bad, although Richard Gere was in it. But having J-Lo more than makes up for that on the other hand. But watching J-Lo dance has its... nice "visual effects", if you know what I mean Big Grin . Actually, this is one of Lopez's best "acting" performances. True, that's not saying a lot (or more to the point, NOTHING) but still, overall her "acting" sucks. Just not as bad in this movie.

About the Life is Beautiful comment, don't ever freak me out like that ever again. That scared the crap out of me, I literally skipped a heart beat when I read that. That hasn't happened by the way, has it? Maybe I need to call Sharpie to conduct an "accident".

quote:
isn't that like every Japanese horror movie? Ringu, Dark Warter, and several others. They are the same movie with slight differences.

Yeah, that's true and its funny how no one really seems to notice that. And you forgot The Grudge, which was the best one out of the three mentioned.
Peace.
David Ryder 02-21-2006 03:03 PM
quote:
Yeah, that's true and its funny how no one really seems to notice that. And you forgot The Grudge, which was the best one out of the three mentioned.

Yeah most japanophiles like to pretend the at japan's movie industry is faultless.However the american movie industry's is just as bad, as they love to force movies such as Save that last dance down our throat, I have a name for movies like that but I shall reframe from using it. Tongue
Spooky 02-21-2006 06:31 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Gaddes
quote:
I guess American's are too lazy to read subtitles.

or it could be the fact that most americans, like myself don't care all that much if it's in the "authentic" language.

More like I find it more distracting when the mouths don't match the actual words, than reading subtitles.
Sharpshooter005 02-21-2006 06:46 PM
quote:
I find it more distracting when the mouths don't match the actual words

It depends though, if its bad enough to be hysterical it can save what would otherwise be a lackluster movie.

I mean..yeah I like Godzilla. But I'm not going to pretend godzilla and ultraman (jet jaguar actually, if I'm remembering it correctly) is a cinematic tour de force.

Also the mechagodzilla ones are almost depressing, since I wind up feeling sorry for mechagodzilla. I'd explain why but it gets pretty long.
Spooky 02-21-2006 06:49 PM
Good point. Sometimes a bad dub can totally save a movie, especially if it screams "suckage" from the opening credits.
Generalissimo D 02-21-2006 06:50 PM
Cookie if you go over the character limit.
Travis Bickle 02-21-2006 07:42 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Spooky
Good point. Sometimes a bad dub can totally save a movie, especially if it screams "suckage" from the opening credits.

The only exception to this rule is Kung Pow: Enter the Fist. Also known as one of the worst movies ever made.

I also saw an English Dub of Masculin, Feminin once that was so bad that even the French people in the audience fell asleep.
Sharpshooter005 02-21-2006 08:04 PM
quote:
The only exception to this rule is Kung Pow: Enter the Fist.

Yeah but...does it count if its intentionally bad.
Travis Bickle 02-21-2006 08:07 PM
quote:
quote:
The only exception to this rule is Kung Pow: Enter the Fist.

Yeah but...does it count if its intentionally bad.

It was actually supposed to be funny. The director/star/guy who doesn't deserve to live with the wierd tounge said it was the best thing he ever did.

I hope he dies of cholera.