[Comment] Ban Political/Religious Conversation.

Dude Love 02-05-2006 10:33 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Agent Paper
And Cerpin, if I remember correctly, he didn't start dropping his F-Bombs untill provoked.

quote:
Originally Posted by Cerpin Taxt
Not really. He usually say something along the lines of "America sucks. It's better in the UK." Someone comes along and tells him that what he said is wrong, biased and stupid, and he drops the f-bombs.

I don't see a contradiction between those two statements, considering that the word "provoked" can have vastly differing definitions varying between "called out" and "cursed out". Alas, this topic of discussion is highly irrelevant, and I don't really think it needs to continue.

---

quote:
1984:The Forum.

Sounds fun!

---

So, yeah, this thread has spun wildly out of control. Back on topic (hopefully), I really don't think that we need to ban all the "intelligent discussion", as Lt. Sanji points calls it. It's not caused any problems, and I hope it won't in the future.

Honestly, my greatest dream about PCF is that The Speakeasy would one day be unlocked, and Manji, Schwarzwald, ___, FP, R.Smith, Manji, Kairi, Blue Crow, R.Dorothied, Manji, Roan, etc. to start posting in it again. Alas, even though I'm always told it was fun, I understand it was a spam haven and had to be closed. But, I fully believe that's what originally built the forum: the best way to get posts is to get some entertaining, moderately spammy posts. Not a good way to maintain a forum, but if people are having fun, it's a good way to build a member base. At least, that's the way I see it.
The Fallen Phoenix 02-05-2006 10:34 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Zaphod Beeblebrox
You aren't any more innocent than him, Scott. You just don't act paranoid thinking theres some secret club trying to make PCF into 1984:The Forum.

Actually, there is a secret club that has successfully turned PCF into 1984: The Forum. It is called the Team, is made up of seven obscure members, and of those seven it is headed by the two most obscure members in all of Paradigm...

In all seriousness, I will admit that the cause, however misguided, may be a noble one. I do not like to see flaming or arguing or warring any more than you do, Agent--but there is only so much we moderators and administrators can do without crushing meaningful and intelligent discussion. To ban all political and religious discussion would obviously do just that, I think, and I think that is too high a price to pay for what, I think, would be very limited return. As has been pointed out by other members before, a flame war could potentially start in any thread, so it is not as if all flame wars would be forever eliminated.

Regardless of the merits of this proposal, I do not think it helps anyone's case to participate in arguments in this thread, as has been done to this point. I would like to respectfully request their cessation--and my request, I mean order.
Mugiwara Luffy 02-05-2006 10:35 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Dude Love
Honestly, my greatest dream about PCF is that the Speakeasy would one day be unlocked, and Manji, Schwarzwald, ___, FP, R.Smith, Manji, Kairi, Blue Crow, R.Dorothied, Manji, Roan, etc. to start posting in it again. Alas, even though I'm always told it was fun, I understand it was a spam haven and had to be closed. But, I fully believe that's what originally built the forum: the best way to get posts is to get some entertaining, moderately spammy posts. Not a good way to maintain a forum, but if people are having fun, it's a good way to build a member base. At least, that's the way I see it.

I agree. I also find it funny how you said Manji's name three times.

The Speakeasy was good, insane, usually-clean fun.
Mr. Fortnight 02-05-2006 10:39 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Cerpin Taxt
quote:
Originally posted by Zaphod Beeblebrox
quote:
Your like the fool who walks into the lion's cage with meat pinned to your jacket. You're just asking to be attacked. Hell, even I've joined the fray, only because I'm sick of it. Plus I don't want intelligent discussion banned.

I agree with this sentiment. But I'm not up for defending Cerpin Taxt.

You aren't any more innocent than him, Scott. You just don't act paranoid thinking theres some secret club trying to make PCF into 1984:The Forum.

Wait...what? I'm confused. Sanji wrote that.

And I personally don't go out of my way to piss off Agent Paper/Ensign. For some reason, he snapped and started thinking that I was plotting against, and then went on this big rampage and started spamming in threads about it.

Hey, you and X started the fire, and you keep poking at me to keep it burning.

Then again, it takes very little to keep my unbridled hatred towards you lit. After all you got that whole idea about a conspiracy in my head, then you act like I'm crazy when you were the one that said it.

I don't view Krang as Big Brother, far from it. Hell, I respect every authority figure here. But when I'm pushed to the wall, sooner ot later you have to expect me to bite. And today I'm bearing fangs.

Then again, Sanji has made a valid point, this has gone to a ZOMG INTERNETS SERIOUS BUSINESS level of drama, but again, I'm MAD AS HELL.
Travis Bickle 02-05-2006 10:43 PM
quote:
I don't view Krang as Big Brother, far from it. Hell, I respect every authority figure here. But when I'm pushed to the wall, sooner ot later you have to expect me to bite. And today I'm bearing fangs.

I don't really look at Krang as an authority figure. That's too EXTREME. He's really just a normal dude that runs this place out of his own pocket, and because of that, he has every right to kick people out of it if they step out of line (again, myself included).

quote:
... this has gone to a ZOMG INTERNETS SERIOUS BUSINESS level of drama...

It was that way from the start, actually.

My view is this: this thread serves no purpose and never did. It should be locked and deleted.
The Fallen Phoenix 02-05-2006 10:48 PM
quote:
Originally posted by The Fallen Phoenix
Regardless of the merits of this proposal, I do not think it helps anyone's case to participate in arguments in this thread, as has been done to this point. I would like to respectfully request their cessation--and my request, I mean order.

Just repeating for emphasis; it might have gotten lost in the shuffle a few minutes ago. And I mean the arguments themselves, not all discussion in this thread.
Mr. Fortnight 02-05-2006 10:54 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Cerpin Taxt
quote:

I don't really look at Krang as an authority figure. That's too EXTREME. He's really just a normal dude that runs this place out of his own pocket, and because of that, he has every right to kick people out of it if they step out of line (again, myself included).

quote:
... this has gone to a ZOMG INTERNETS SERIOUS BUSINESS level of drama...

It was that way from the start, actually.

My view is this: this thread serves no purpose and never did. It should be locked and deleted.

Meh, fine, lock it and delete it. I don't care any more. I've learned my lesson.
Krang 02-06-2006 12:18 AM
quote:
Wow... then he's being real lenient.

Yes, I did say something to that effect. It's not really fair to ban political threads without warning, so I'll give these forums one last chance before applying The Technodrome's policy on political threads.

quote:
Originally posted by Dude Love
Honestly, my greatest dream about PCF is that The Speakeasy would one day be unlocked, and Manji, Schwarzwald, ___, FP, R.Smith, Manji, Kairi, Blue Crow, R.Dorothied, Manji, Roan, etc. to start posting in it again. Alas, even though I'm always told it was fun, I understand it was a spam haven and had to be closed. But, I fully believe that's what originally built the forum: the best way to get posts is to get some entertaining, moderately spammy posts. Not a good way to maintain a forum, but if people are having fun, it's a good way to build a member base. At least, that's the way I see it.

There aren't weekly server-crushing Big O episode discussions to worry about anymore, so if it would bring some of those members back, I have no problem with opening it again. If you can get a hold of them, let me know if they're interested.

Anyway, I've been getting some complaints about this thread, and since this is not the first time Agent Paper and Cerpin Taxt have dragged their arguments onto the forums, I'm going to have to give them both warnings. It's none of my business what happens between you two off the forums, but from now on, please try to keep your arguments off the forums where they belong.