What would happen if the world suddenly found out that our nukes might not work?

paul1290 01-29-2006 07:03 PM
I'm asking this question because I've recently read somewhere that in a about a decade all of the nuclear weapons in the U.S. arsenal will be past their expected lifespans.

This doesn't really mean they won't detonate. However, it is unknown if they will work or not past that age because the people who designed the nukes in the first place didn't plan that far ahead. We currently have no idea how the plutonium pits inside the nukes will be affected by age past that point. Although plutonium take thousands of years to decay, the decay produces hydrogen gas that may prevent the nuke from detonating correctly.

The plutonium pits are assembled much like a 3D jigsaw puzzle. The gases slowly push apart the sections of the pit. Since the peices have to fit almost perfectly to get all the plutonium to fission, it might not detonate after a certain point. When most of the nukes were first made, they didn't know the U.S. would have to keep them this long so nobody did any research into how quickly the hydrogen would distort the structure of the plutonium past 10 years from now.


How do you think the US would be affected if the rest of the world knew the nukes might no longer work?


Personally, I don't think it would make much of a difference by then. Sure, It might make negotiations with a few other countries (like North Korea) a bit more difficult, but I don't think it would make that big of a difference.
Generalissimo D 01-29-2006 07:19 PM
Well.

We might just get nuked. Depending on the world condition by that time, who knows how it will go.

I'm saying it won't matter much, because nuclear weaponry will be deemed to costly to use.
paul1290 01-29-2006 07:32 PM
The only other country I know of besides the U.S. that has a large number of nukes is Russia. However, their nukes will also expire about the same time because they were made around the same time the U.S. nukes were built. A few other countries might also have some but their nukes are also likely to have been made around the same time as well. So just about everyone's nukes should die out around the same time.

(Unless of course, someone else is building more nukes and keeping it a secret. Then there might be a problem.)
Sharpshooter005 01-29-2006 08:48 PM
quote:
We might just get nuked.


Okay, everybody into the vault.

Oh and could one of you run down to lowes and pick up a couple of spare water chips? You can never have too many.
David Ryder 01-29-2006 09:04 PM
be sure to bring some Rad Away or Rad X, oh and watch out for super mutants and ghouls. also we might have to join the brotherhood of steel.
X Prime 01-29-2006 09:08 PM
I'd go for joining the Brotherhood of Steel. Power Armor and Gatling Lasers for the win!

On that note, the solution to the nuke problem is obvious to me: make more nukes. As much as countries would love to see the U.S. incapable of countering a nuclear assault, I'd rather not give them the pleasure.
Jstar136 01-30-2006 11:45 AM
As of right now, our army is spread so thin we're pretty close to collapsing.

I hate to say it, but nukes might be a good idea to have unless we pull back a large majority of our men.
corrupt 01-30-2006 01:52 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Jstar136
As of right now, our army is spread so thin we're pretty close to collapsing.

I hate to say it, but nukes might be a good idea to have unless we pull back a large majority of our men.



Dammit, nukes are stupid, the completely corrupt an area for long periods of time, and Iraq is a lost cause, it'll just fall as soon as you leave, either that or your armies gonna salughted by somewhere else thats getting pissed off, or the insurgents will band together and kill the army, just leave, cut your losses and leave...
088nd 01-30-2006 03:44 PM
quote:
Originally posted by corrupt
quote:
Originally posted by Jstar136
As of right now, our army is spread so thin we're pretty close to collapsing.

I hate to say it, but nukes might be a good idea to have unless we pull back a large majority of our men.



Dammit, nukes are stupid, the completely corrupt an area for long periods of time, and Iraq is a lost cause, it'll just fall as soon as you leave, either that or your armies gonna salughted by somewhere else thats getting pissed off, or the insurgents will band together and kill the army, just leave, cut your losses and leave...


Glad to see military advice from a 13 year old Brit. Too bad you guys have a pretty poor military now.
X Prime 01-30-2006 04:12 PM
Except for the Navy and maybe the air forces anyway.
David Ryder 01-30-2006 04:18 PM
quote:
Glad to see military advice from a 13 year old Brit. Too bad you guys have a pretty poor military now.


Yeah I was thinking the same.

quote:
your armies gonna salughted by somewhere else thats getting pissed off


Like who? Iran? or North Korea? I know the world hates us and wants to see us destoryed but sorry ain't gonna happen anytime soon.
corrupt 01-30-2006 04:26 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Gaddes
quote:
Glad to see military advice from a 13 year old Brit. Too bad you guys have a pretty poor military now.


Yeah I was thinking the same.

quote:
your armies gonna salughted by somewhere else thats getting pissed off


Like who? Iran? or North Korea? I know the world hates us and wants to see us destoryed but sorry ain't gonna happen anytime soon.



Of course, I forgot some americans have the strange illusion that they are untouchable and that their country has the greatest military... of course look here and you discover you have the sixth largest army, pakistan has a bigger army than you, as does south and north lorea, india and most of all china, which america has giant debts. And its nice to see the moderators take action against prejudice... let me just claify i'm being sarcastic for all the stupid people out there
X Prime 01-30-2006 04:29 PM
..Since when does size equal effectiveness again?

So, if I had 2 million naked villagers armed with sticks, an army of 1 million infantry armed to the teeth would lose. I gotcha. *Rolls eyes*
David Ryder 01-30-2006 04:30 PM
quote:
And its nice to see the moderators take action against prejudice... let me just claify i'm being sarcastic for all the stupid people out there


How am I being Prejudice? please explain because I fail to see how I am.


quote:
Of course, I forgot some americans have the strange illusion that they are untouchable and that their country has the greatest military


I never said anything about the US being untouchable, your putting word into my mouth. and I in no way think the US is the best, it has it's problems (all countries do).
corrupt 01-30-2006 04:34 PM
quote:
Originally posted by X Prime
..Since when does size equal effectiveness again?

So, if I had 2 million naked villagers armed with sticks, an army of 1 million infantry armed to the teeth would lose. I gotcha. *Rolls eyes*


but I don't know, lets say 1,600,000 armed to the teeth paid for from the debts the U.S.A owes them and 447,800 US soliders armed to teeth but not as armed as china, I doubt the U.S.A would win, neither would it win against India or north korea. So i would say I "I gotcha. *Rolls eyes*" pathetic...
Hienrich Ele 01-30-2006 04:39 PM
quote:
Originally posted by corrupt
quote:
Originally posted by X Prime
..Since when does size equal effectiveness again?

So, if I had 2 million naked villagers armed with sticks, an army of 1 million infantry armed to the teeth would lose. I gotcha. *Rolls eyes*


but I don't know, lets say 1,600,000 armed to the teeth paid for from the debts the U.S.A owes them and 447,800 US soliders armed to teeth but not as armed as china, I doubt the U.S.A would win, neither would it win against India or north korea. So i would say I "I gotcha. *Rolls eyes*" pathetic...


...Since when is China armed better than the US?
corrupt 01-30-2006 04:44 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Hienrich Ele
quote:
Originally posted by corrupt
quote:
Originally posted by X Prime
..Since when does size equal effectiveness again?

So, if I had 2 million naked villagers armed with sticks, an army of 1 million infantry armed to the teeth would lose. I gotcha. *Rolls eyes*


but I don't know, lets say 1,600,000 armed to the teeth paid for from the debts the U.S.A owes them and 447,800 US soliders armed to teeth but not as armed as china, I doubt the U.S.A would win, neither would it win against India or north korea. So i would say I "I gotcha. *Rolls eyes*" pathetic...


...Since when is China armed better than the US?



well I geuss if they spent their 650 billion dollars the USA owes them, they could probbably be able to buy the USA army and tell them to give them their weapons to them, of course i'm sure i'll bediscreditted by people egos for being a "13 year old brit" so keep on being cock-sure of yourself...
Hienrich Ele 01-30-2006 04:49 PM
quote:
Originally posted by corrupt
well I geuss if they spent their 650 billion dollars the USA owes them, they could probbably be able to buy the USA army and tell them to give them their weapons to them, of course i'm sure i'll bediscreditted by people egos for being a "13 year old brit" so keep on being cock-sure of yourself...


Yeah... Fairly certain the US is not going to sell its Army to anyone, especially the Chinese.

And I ain't by any far means an economics expert, but wouldn't a debt of $650,000,000,000 be paid of in segements and not one lump sum?

Point is, US > China. Yeah, I base this on nothing but the fact that I hate the Chinese government and everything it stands for. Oh, and also the fact that I ain't speaking Chinese yet due to some military take over.

Plus, you know, don't take the "13 year old Brit" comment as in "ZOMG CALLED ME STUPID CAUSE I AM FROM ENGLAND!11!!" Cause, you know... Insulting the US in everyone of your posts here is no where near as bad as that one statement.

But then again that is getting personal, and this is just the internet. Nothing to take personally.
corrupt 01-30-2006 04:56 PM
I don't insult the U.S.A, I speak truth, I say that iraq is a lost cause, which alot of americans say it is as well and I get a load bullsh** about giving miltary advice, maybe because I don't see an army as just an army I see people, I see parents crying over their dead children, I see nice people, who give sweets (candy) to iraqi children, I see people who join the army to pay for college, I have nothing against america, just the government...
evanASF27 01-30-2006 04:57 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Hienrich Ele
...Since when is China armed better than the US?

Since they have 2 billion frickin people? They have the largest population PERIOD.... if you converted every able person in China into a soldier, sheer numbers would give them an advantage (I said advantage, I too dunno how well they're armed). If you can get half as many people armed with some serious armaments against that hypothetical Chinese army in a hypothetical battle where the Chinese only have left-over WWII gear.....there's still a good chance that the Chinese may lose.

......and now I will stop to figure out how the bloody hell we got to talking about this......

I'm also semi in agreement with Heinrich's last statement there...

You have your opinion about the States (which you've repeated over and over and over again), but for Christ's sake we don't need to hear/see it in every post Neutral That's when things have the chance to get ugly.