Episode 44 Discussion: "Hoenheim of Light"

Shredder 01-28-2006 11:40 PM
Sorry about the late thread, but tonight's ep saw Ed and Al's reunion/confrontation with their dad as well as a few other interesting revelations. (Plus Ed and Al finally find out about Hughes, nearly 20 episodes later). I hope everyone's still watching the show, we're getting close to the end here...
Jstar136 01-28-2006 11:56 PM
Woot! I just saw it! Shocked

Crazyness! The end was great between the two... ( I don't want to spoil it)

I like how Ed charges in and punches his dad away.

What's up with Al? He's waterproof?

GO ARMSTRONG! I love his muscles!
Sephiroth 01-29-2006 12:00 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Shredder
Sorry about the late thread, but tonight's ep saw Ed and Al's reunion/confrontation with their dad as well as a few other interesting revelations. (Plus Ed and Al finally find out about Hughes, nearly 20 episodes later). I hope everyone's still watching the show, we're getting close to the end here...

Indeed, their revelation about Hughes' death does seem rather belated. However, aside from that minor annoyance, this episode was pretty good. First of all, there is something going on with Lyra and Hoenhiem, they know each other, and apparently are goign through some kind of decay. Also, they have the same smell, which might be from that decay. Obviously, Lyra does not plan on getting rid of Lust, as she has been hanging on walls for quite some time now.

I'm excited to see how Mustang's decision to confront the Fuhrer will turn out, especially since he now knows that he is a homunculus. On that same note, Ed seems to be preparing for a final confrontation with the homunculi, as he was digging up his mother's bones to use as a weapon against Sloth. It seems as though the climax is very close.

Oh, and the Lt. Ross and Hoenhiem thing was hilarious, especially her partners reaction. Somebody was just a tad bit jealous.
NVWC2006 01-29-2006 01:59 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Jstar136
Woot! I just saw it! Shocked

Crazyness! The end was great between the two... ( I don't want to spoil it)

I like how Ed charges in and punches his dad away.

What's up with Al? He's waterproof?

GO ARMSTRONG! I love his muscles!

The power of the Philosopher Stone Al's become protects his life now. He is in himself probably the single most powerful alchemic item in the FMA universe. a little thing like water isn't about to get rid of him.

i like how armstrong was all "would you doubt someone who's muscles can do this?!" it's like he's been acting weird all this time just so he can use it against people as neccesary.

As for the thing going on between Lyra and Hoenhiem... think about how when Ed mentioned Lyra, he also mentioned Dante right after that, and Hoenhiem nearly broke a dog's leg off at the shock of the name.

*hint hint tip tip clue clue*
Phantom X 01-29-2006 02:13 PM
I know this was from lsat episode, but the part where Ed and Al touch and they find themselves at the gate. It struck me as odd for the moment, but them it made me realize. Could Ed and Al be the key to the door now? If they are, the could simply take hold of, let use the exapmle Lust, take her and just throw her back through the door? Then she would find a way back, but her body wouldnt handle such a travel, and end up decaying. Just another one of my crack pot theories, no need to pay attention.
Xero-Hour 01-30-2006 04:49 AM
I think it was kinda sweet that the (...for lack of a better term) golems that Hoenheim makes look like Al .Though i did think it was odd that Gluttony was scared of a few dozen spikes . All in all a very good episode ....as usual
Nine Kuze 01-31-2006 02:36 PM
Another great episode and I think the eps are just going to get better and better... FINALLY, Ed and Al confront their father, Hohenheim and it was funny that Ed punched and kicked him (not saying that he doesn't deserve it but funny nonetheless).

Although Ed hates Hohenheim, it was rather cool to see Al connect with his father. Seeing Al in the armor for the first time and using alchemic versions of him to protect himself against Dante's alchemy was a nice touch. But I don't get one thing: when Roy and Hohenheim were outside talking, Roy said that he wanted to talk about how Hohenheim's appearence in some of the photos he has seen of him. What the hell does that mean? Does Roy know about Hohenheim's secret,
spoiler (highlight to read):
that he switches from body to body after a while?
And it was weird that Hohenheim just started talking about the homunculi out of the blue.

You know, I can now see why people call Ed a whiny little punk. This was not Ed's finest episode, except when he punched his dad. That was funny. But the boys finally find out about Hughes' death (a shout out to Hughes!!!) and Ed goes on a rampage, pulling the Peter Pan saying that he never wants to grow up. Not realizing that he did that way back when in Episode 3, Ed also looks weak when he says that he hates Roy now. Its not that saying is what made him look bad but it was how he said it that made him look like nothing more than a little punk with a cool looking arm.

Other stuff: It looks like Lust is still in trouble and watching Hohenheim confront Dante was pretty damn cool. I'm also wondering why Dante's new body (LYRA Crying ) is decaying so fast and how Mustang is going to confront Pride (maybe he'll just ask him). And way the episode ended with Ed digging up his mother's remains from her grave was pretty good. That's what he needs to defeat Sloth, but still man, that's your mama. Alright, I'm out.
Peace.
evanASF27 01-31-2006 02:42 PM
I was lucky enough to see this in the hotel room I stayed at over the weekend in Pennsylvania. I am VERY suprised at how much information has been woven into the last few episodes O_O Some very alluring mysteries are finally having some light shed on them...which I thought might actually ruin the fun (for me >.>) but actually it's jumped from "Woah what could be goin on in there?" -> "So [insert something] is doing all this!?" -> "How the HELL are Ed and Al (and Roy?) fix all of this?!"

It's very VERY VERY frickin awesome @_@ And I am basically just as hooked as I was when season2 of Big O was airing (minus some of the hyperacting posting with classic rabid fan-ness thrown into the mix Embarrassed Sweatdrop ). This is one of the points of the show where I'd kill to see the next # episodes back-to-back-to-back-to-back...all in one night....because I wanna see what happens next ;_;

I'm just really ticked that I didn't set the VCR to record it ~_~;;

*Edit*
quote:
when Roy and Hohenheim were outside talking, Roy said that he wanted to talk about how Hohenheim's appearence in some of the photos he has seen of him. What the hell does that mean? Does Roy know about Hohenheim's secret,
that he switches from body to body after a while?

I don't remember Roy talking about that. And I believe you've just spoiled Hohenheim's secret for me x_x;;

*Edit again cos I forgot to refresh the page when posting*
quote:
You know, I can now see why people call Ed a whiny little punk. This was not Ed's finest episode, except when he punched his dad. That was funny. But the boys finally find out about Hughes' death (a shout out to Hughes!!!) and Ed goes on a rampage, pulling the Peter Pan saying that he never wants to grow up. Not realizing that he did that way back when in Episode 3, Ed also looks weak when he says that he hates Roy now. Its not that saying is what made him look bad but it was how he said it that made him look like nothing more than a little punk with a cool looking arm.

Well everyone who's saying Ed is being whiny needs to remember that he's still just a kid. He's been exposed to some really heavy stuff...so he's got on the one hand his adult conscience and view of the military, and on the other hand he's got the physical/mental child instinct trying to come out at times because of it being supressed. The childish outbursts, like when Ed automatically goes into "revenge" mode after finally hearing about Hughes' death, really show how he's seriously not old enough to be prepared with such situations and tragedies, although he handles them (or attempts to) better than many people his age in the show. I personally think the struggle between wanting to be himself (a happy, youthful kid who wants to make up his lost childhood) and the all-knowing adult personality (the strong, fearless, knowledgable solider and alchemist) came off pretty well in this episode as well as in a few others.
Nine Kuze 01-31-2006 03:19 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Zenigata-Da-Vida
*Edit again cos I forgot to refresh the page when posting*
quote:

Well everyone who's saying Ed is being whiny needs to remember that he's still just a kid. He's been exposed to some really heavy stuff...so he's got on the one hand his adult conscience and view of the military, and on the other hand he's got the physical/mental child instinct trying to come out at times because of it being supressed. The childish outbursts, like when Ed automatically goes into "revenge" mode after finally hearing about Hughes' death, really show how he's seriously not old enough to be prepared with such situations and tragedies, although he handles them (or attempts to) better than many people his age in the show. I personally think the struggle between wanting to be himself (a happy, youthful kid who wants to make up his lost childhood) and the all-knowing adult personality (the strong, fearless, knowledgable solider and alchemist) came off pretty well in this episode as well as in a few others.

OOPS!! Sorry if I ruined anything for you. But Dante said Hohenheim
switches bodies from time to time just like she does.
Also, you do bring up a very good point about how Edward struggles to just be himself. It is true he has seen some pretty distrubing things at a very young age (his mother dying, trying to bring back his mother, his brother losing his body right in front of him) and that for most of the series, he tries to act like he can take everything and be an adult, not just for himself but for Alphonse as well. But its also like Hughes said in the episode where he was capped: "You sometimes forget that they're kids at all." Its true that Edward does a remarkable job in keep himself in check and in dealing with all the crap he has gone through in life, but the bottom line is, he is still just a fifteen year old kid.

My bad for before, Edward. Much love, son.
Peace.