Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition

M.S. Feather 01-27-2006 10:58 PM
So, DMC3: SE was released this Tuesday. It's a special edition of the game but rather than re-releasing the game with the fifty buck price tag Capcom opted to release it as a greatest hits title at only twenty dollars (sweet!).
Some of the extra features in the special edition include: Virgil as a playable character, a cut-scene gallery, a new save system, a new boss and a Bloody Palace mode.

I was planning to pick up my copy tomorrow but I was wondering how many of you guys were planning on buying it? And for only twenty bucks why wouldn't you? ^^
Travis Bickle 01-28-2006 02:02 AM
I just bought it today, along with Devil May Cry 1 and 2. I never played any Devil May Cry, but since I'm linking Dirge of Cerebrus a lot, I decided to cave in and do so.
M.S. Feather 01-28-2006 08:31 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Cerpin Taxt
I just bought it today, along with Devil May Cry 1 and 2. I never played any Devil May Cry, but since I'm linking Dirge of Cerebrus a lot, I decided to cave in and do so.

Oh, that's fantastic! Well if you like action games I'm sure you'll enjoy the gameplay in the Devil May Cry series. Ah hell, I know you will!
Well, maybe not DMC2 so much…the only really fun part of that game was the Must Die Mode and that was only because it was a little more challenging. Oh Well

Oh yeah, I also got my copy today.
I put it in and the usual memory card message came up. I clicked yes to continue without any save data and another dialogue came up and said it detected data for the first version and unlocked Virgil and Bloody Palace mode for me. Awesome! O_o
I already beat the previous version with Dante a few times so I decided to start off this one with Virgil.
Uh, I have it paused at the moment, so excuse me but I gots things to do. ^.^

Aah, I’m so excited! XD
corrupt 01-29-2006 04:21 AM
Sweet, i'm gonna buy dmc 3 when \i finally move to england for good...

I bet vergil kicks a$$
X Prime 01-29-2006 09:23 AM
It's not being released in Europe at all at this point in time.
M.S. Feather 02-03-2006 06:37 AM
quote:
Originally posted by X Prime

Yeah, guess we can just hope if it sells well enough here they'll give it a European release. It would be a crime to keep something so awesome from the European peoples.

Anyway, as for getting to play as Vergil I was a little disappointed. The story is 100% identical to Dante's (minus the cutscenes), you don't even get to fight Dante at any point in the game you just fight another Vergil (but in a red coat). That just made it feel so cheap...

The gameplay itself however was very fun! Vergil's Dark Knight style is fairly identical to Dante's Trickster style, so if you've mastered that Dark Knight should be a breeze. Vergil is also a lot more powerful than Dante. Honestly, Vergil can mow through enemies so fast the game doesn't even become remotely challenging until the Must Die mode and even then... Tongue

I'll try and post up a full review in the reviews thread sometime next week. Smile
corrupt 02-03-2006 12:17 PM
quote:
Originally posted by X Prime

Oh, bollocks...
David Ryder 02-03-2006 02:53 PM
so this is more or less the same game, just with Virgil and a few added goodies? hmmm pass. ok Capcom now release Monster Hunter II if you would please.
Dingo 02-03-2006 10:03 PM
I just got it today. I love it! No Vergil yet.... my memory card with my save from DMC3 is in a car thats currently in another state.

But I just got up to the first Jester fight.... wow. It's so ummmm out of place.
M.S. Feather 02-04-2006 01:47 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Dingo
But I just got up to the first Jester fight.... wow. It's so ummmm out of place.

Yeah, I was a little surprised with how they decided to place the Jester battles into the game. It would have been nice if they had made a cutscene or two to go alongside the battles, not just throw a portal into the middle of the room for no apparent reason. The battles themselves aren't particularly challenging either. Oh well, I still think he's a pretty cool character.
X Prime 02-04-2006 11:58 AM
quote:
Originally posted by M.S._Feather
quote:
Originally posted by Dingo

Yeah, I was a little surprised with how they decided to place the Jester battles into the game. It would have been nice if they had made a cutscene or two to go alongside the battles, not just throw a portal into the middle of the room for no apparent reason. The battles themselves aren't particularly challenging either. Oh well, I still think he's a pretty cool character.

Come back after DMD3's third battle and say that. He becomes a nightmare unless you complete very hard to acquire Super Dante or Super Vergil.
M.S. Feather 02-05-2006 09:21 PM
Yeah I did complete Very Hard Mode first, that’s why I hinted at the Must Die Mode being easy. Tongue
So far I’ve really only played through the game as Vergil and I definitely expect Dante’s side to be a good deal more challenging. Hopefully Jester battles and all.

Actually to tell you guys the truth, the only part of Vergil’s game I had any real trouble on was the Greyon battle on Very Hard Mode. …I hate that damn horse. -___-

I wish they’d given Virgil a better double jump move like air hike rather than his upwards teleport. It would have made a few battles like Greyon’s that much simpler.
You’d jump and try to teleport away from an enemy then accidentally teleport into the attack you were trying to avoid…don’t laugh, I know it happened to you at least once. ^^
X Prime 02-06-2006 05:28 AM
Geryon is pure scum. Nothing else to say.

And yes, Vergil is easier on account of several things:

1: Free Aerial Rave (Annihilates Cerberus, Geryon, Arkham 1, and Beowulf, ESPECIALLY Beowulf since he is elementally weak to Yamato)
2: Judgment Cut (absurd medium ranged damage, rapes Nevan and plasters Arkham II)
3: Lunar Phase (Obliterates Agni and Rudra so hard that they can't move, spamming it against them is an easy win even on DMD. Also rips apart the chess pieces and Hell Vanguards.)

and the big daddy....

4: SUMMONED SWORDS.

Those things are just CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP. I mean... free hits, no matter where in the arena you are, no matter what attack you're executing... The ONLY time you shouldn't use them is against Vante.
StevieV019 02-06-2006 11:27 AM
Thanks for the heads up...Ill definitely pick it up. I havent played it yet, but have played DMC 1 and 2, so this is definitely in order for me. Greatest Hits...oh yeah!