The Relationship Between Dominus and Megadeus

Spoderman 01-27-2006 08:30 PM
I've had a theory for a while that a Megadeus was the physical manifestation of the memory of its Dominus.

I base this theory on two events, both of which occur within Act 26.

As you all, know, Angel is herself, a memory. She becomes Big Venus, because this is one of her two forms; she can either take a corporeal human shape, or manifest herself as Big Venus. A memory becomes a megadeus.

Also, when Big O and Roger were sinking to the bottom of the ocean, Big O attempted to merge with Roger, meaning that Roger's memory was trying to be remembered, but Roger refused.

He later goes on to say, in his monologue, that he didn't have any memories of who he was, but nobody took them away from him, in all likelihood, he erased them himself.

By refusing to merge with his Megadeus, and therefore his memories, his memories were once again lost.

The other Megadei in the series which responded to humans and androids were likely manifestations of memories searching for their true owners. Ghost responded to Bonnie, Constanze responds to Instro, Big Duo to Schwarzwald, Dorothy 1 to Dorothy, as well as the Archetypes to Dorothy...

However, the thing I'm curious about is the relationship between Alex and Big Fau. I firmly disagree with the notion that Alex is the true Dominus of Big Fau. Schwarzwald specifically states that a Megadeus seeks out a Dominus; a person who is able to arrive at one truth, and is worthy of the power of god, created by man. Big Fau did not choose Alex; Fau was forced to do Alex's bidding. But at this point Fau could not make a decision because it was slaved to Dorothy's memory unit. In a last ditch effort, it merged with Alex so that it might try to put a stop to Alex directly, because Fau was unable to override his actions internally.

I don't know. This is something I'm just throwing out there...
A Clockwork Tomato 01-27-2006 09:43 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Spoderman
I've had a theory for a while that a Megadeus was the physical manifestation of the memory of its Dominus.

I base this theory on two events, both of which occur within Act 26.

As you all, know, Angel is herself, a memory. She becomes Big Venus, because this is one of her two forms; she can either take a corporeal human shape, or manifest herself as Big Venus. A memory becomes a megadeus.

Also, when Big O and Roger were sinking to the bottom of the ocean, Big O attempted to merge with Roger, meaning that Roger's memory was trying to be remembered, but Roger refused.

He later goes on to say, in his monologue, that he didn't have any memories of who he was, but nobody took them away from him, in all likelihood, he erased them himself.

By refusing to merge with his Megadeus, and therefore his memories, his memories were once again lost.

The other Megadei in the series which responded to humans and androids were likely manifestations of memories searching for their true owners. Ghost responded to Bonnie, Constanze responds to Instro, Big Duo to Schwarzwald, Dorothy 1 to Dorothy, as well as the Archetypes to Dorothy...

However, the thing I'm curious about is the relationship between Alex and Big Fau. I firmly disagree with the notion that Alex is the true Dominus of Big Fau. Schwarzwald specifically states that a Megadeus seeks out a Dominus; a person who is able to arrive at one truth, and is worthy of the power of god, created by man. Big Fau did not choose Alex; Fau was forced to do Alex's bidding. But at this point Fau could not make a decision because it was slaved to Dorothy's memory unit. In a last ditch effort, it merged with Alex so that it might try to put a stop to Alex directly, because Fau was unable to override his actions internally.

I don't know. This is something I'm just throwing out there...

You're working on the assumption that you know what people in the show mean when they say that something is "a memory." I'm CERTAIN that I don't know what they mean! (I suspect they don't really know, either.) You might want to define what a "memory" is, exactly.

Personally, I like to focus on the action rather than the dialog when dissecting the show. Not only is the dialog vague and self-contradictory, but the show's biggest talkers were all insane, so you can't trust anything they say! On the other hand -- as far as I can tell -- the camera in Big O never lies (though you need to be alert to which scenes are really happening and which are dreams/visions/hallucinations/flashbacks).

Because of this, I attach a pretty high level of significance to the fact that Big Fau seems to have always had the same colors as Alex Rosewater's suits, just as Big O and Roger Smith both wear black. At the same time, I'm not very interested in what Vera and Alex SAY about Big Fau. They're both self-deluded fools.

At the same time, it's impossible to ignore the dialog altogether, so there's no wrong approach.

One reason why I'm perfectly willing to believe that Alex is Big Fau's dominus is that I don't see any reason why all the Megadeuses have to be on the same side. We've seen (possibly bogus) flashbacks to wars with Megadeuses on both sides. Presumably some of the dominuses on at least one side were jerks.
The Lexx 01-28-2006 09:43 AM
Well, a megadeus seems to need a dominus, no doubt. The sea titan actually went on a rampage looking for it's dominus, and was crying for his loss. Also, the dragon in leviathan seemed to be looking for someone to be part of it.

In the english version, dorothy said "I can't be part of you, no one can." In the subtitled version she said "I can't be your soul, no one can."

I guess in a real sense the dominus is the soul of the megadeus, and a megadeus needs one badly. Remember, an imcomplete megadeus seeks out a dominus.
Randolph 01-28-2006 10:48 AM
One question that brings to mind is, why does a Megadeus need a Dominus?
We know that it needs one, but for what reason? Does it simply desire to smash stuff? To relive it's glory days of battle? To give power to those who most need it?

Regarding Fau's relationship to Alex, it would seem, to me at least, that Fau did not care for Alex very much. Considering the amount of work it took to get Fau to respond to him at all, it would seem he forced Fau into being his Megadeus.

As regards color schemes, it is rather ironic that each character's Megadeus would resemble them personally; almost to the point of absurdity.
Whether this has anything to do with whom their Dominus should be is beyond my understanding. If this were true, how would the Megadeuses account for changes of costume? What if for some reason Alex showed up in a neo-blue leisure suit?
But then if Paradigm is a stage, and all the actor's roles are predetermined, then of course we can doom Alex to have a wardrobe of 1,000 white Benny Hinn business suits.

And as ACT said, we still have a great honking hole in all our theories, which is the lack of a proper definition for "Memories". So, it's all in the air, really.
Spoderman 01-31-2006 03:58 PM
Well despite that, we have to at least try to theorize...

Without a definitive conclusion to the series, all we can do is speculate.

At the most basic level, we know for sure that "memories" have something to do with the connection between a Megadeus and its respective Dominus.

I'm simply branching out on that knowledge.
AnIm@ster 02-02-2006 05:57 AM
cool. Amazing theory. I will think abt it!
R. Daniel Olk 01 04-06-2006 08:15 PM
Spoderman, I really like this theory. It's pretty sound, even in the face of what Clockwork Tomato rightfully pointed up.
ScionofDestiny 04-07-2006 07:35 AM
I was thinking about a theory like this last night - but with a few adaptions.

Rather, from what Angel said in Act 15, I think that a Megadeus is the "former" self - but that theory is based on the assuption that there were two Roger's. I think that before the first one died he was assimulated into Big O.

Memories... I wonder what they really are?