2006 good year for animated films

seraphjei 01-25-2006 10:53 PM
2006 list of animated films
With a new year comes a brand new batch of kid friendly animated films to make us feel all warm inside, OR to help kids shut up for 2 hours either way I hope some of these films have more appeal than a chicken that somehow saves the world. (I have not seen chicken little so ignore my bias opinion in that insatnce, of course, you could ignore my opinion all together...)
Travis Bickle 01-25-2006 10:57 PM
A Scanner Darkly is not animated.
Sharpshooter005 01-26-2006 09:25 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Cerpin Taxt
A Scanner Darkly is not animated.

Speaking of which. I'd appreciate it if they'd not use whatever style that is in those financial ads.

Because those ads FRIGHTEN me. I forget which company is doing it.

edit: So...okay wait, how do we know a number of these won't be flops? I thought you needed to wait until at least november to pronounce something a "good year"
Pygmalion 01-26-2006 11:09 AM
I must say I'm looking forward to Meet the Robinsons. We've been fans of William Joyce's art style for a long time. If it does well, can a Dinosaur Bob movie be far behind?

Pygmalion
Travis Bickle 01-26-2006 11:32 AM
Oh wait...almost every movie on that list has 3D CGI instead of hand-drawn.

LAME.

Whatever happened to the days when disney released their animated films of the summer?
StevieV019 02-03-2006 09:28 AM
None of the movies listed there even interest me...except for A Scanner Darkly, which isnt animated...
corrupt 02-03-2006 01:08 PM
quote:
Originally posted by seraphjei
2006 list of animated films
With a new year comes a brand new batch of kid friendly animated films to make us feel all warm inside, OR to help kids shut up for 2 hours either way I hope some of these films have more appeal than a chicken that somehow saves the world. (I have not seen chicken little so ignore my bias opinion in that insatnce, of course, you could ignore my opinion all together...)

Not really animated, more like computer animated there is a difference, I think disney ran out of ideas after hercules came out i think...
Mugiwara Luffy 02-03-2006 01:55 PM
Kids aren't interested in films that aren't CGI anymore. Besides, I'm sure it's easier and cheaper to make than hand-drawn animation.

I'll occasionally go to an animated film. Nowadays though, they're all starting to look the same: talking CGI animals making stupid jokes or riffing on pop culture. No thanks. I guess it keeps the kids entertained though.
corrupt 02-03-2006 01:57 PM
I think hand drawing takes alot longer than CGI i think..
The Baker St. Irregular 02-03-2006 06:49 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Cerpin Taxt
Oh wait...almost every movie on that list has 3D CGI instead of hand-drawn.

LAME.

Whatever happened to the days when disney released their animated films of the summer?

Gone.

Except in Japan, that is.

Some people still consider animation a viable art form. The big American cartoon houses don't anymore. The American public doesn't, and probably never has. And even though anime is still, in large part, a commercial medium aimed to make a profit with each production, it's not hard to tell that it is capable of being highly artistic and mature.

In any case, my opinion is this: Pixar is the only 3D animation studio we need. All the others are crap compared to it.
Zopwx2 02-03-2006 07:08 PM
I though japan phased out hand drawn cartoons as well, using computer aided art.
David Ryder 02-03-2006 07:10 PM
quote:
I though japan phased out hand drawn cartoons as well, using computer aided art.

They did, 99% of all animation in japan is either done digitally or either shipped to Korea in some shape or form (much like over here).
Fujiko 02-04-2006 12:14 AM
Curious George and Ice Age 2 are two that I've been wanting to see. We'll see how that goes, I suppose.
Mr. Fortnight 02-06-2006 02:42 AM
Now, I'm a fan of CG Artwork. A good rendered animation can really impress me. Not to mention if they manage a good story I'm quite satisfied.

I loved The Incredibles, and I certainly hope that since Disney has "reformatted" itself, and Pixar is back on the bandwagon, that we could see more incredible work from Pixar.

Also, I hope with Disney getting a new direction, they'll perhaps return to their 2D roots.

The reason why 2D isn't really profitible in the west is because alot of animation in the 90s was mostly crap that was coming out of US production houses. They either were pretty, chromed up pieces of crap, or not very good looking, sub-standard plotted films.

That, and the pervasive mindset of Cartoons = < 13 crowd.

Outside of The Simpsons, Family Guy, and The Boondocks, I've really yet to see the current mindset shattered.