(The New!) Battlestar Galactica

Dork 01-25-2006 10:13 PM
Has anyone else been watching this new Battlestar Galactica on the SciFi Channel? I caught a couple of reruns during a marathon on SciFi a few weeks ago and I've been hooked ever since.

It's funny, 'Babylon 5' revolutionized the American drama. Every new drama nowadays has some essense of 'Babylon 5's formula. But 'Battlestar Galactica' is the only show I've seen that has actually improved on what JMS did. BSG has a lot of elements similar to B5 but much better executed. Not to rag on B5 that is. You've got to respect the classics but I'm kinda surprised it's taken 10 years for this to happen.

Anywho BSG's wonderful for the B5 fan and it does some great work in exporing humanity through robots (Cylons) for the Big O fan (obviously) in us all.

Anywho, bought the first DVD set. The show just hits the ground running. My favorite episode so far is 'Tigh me Up, Tigh me Down'. Battlestar Galactica is a really hard drama but there's always a little humor found in the oddest places. Great stuff. Check it out.

edit: Edited for huh... title stuff.

muchlove
-Dork
Mike 01-25-2006 10:24 PM
I always loved the dorky old Battlestar Galactica for all its corny 70sness.. I remember way back in the way, Sci Fi used to play that one with the big huge gun on the ice planet like weekly.

And then when they got to Earth and it was 1980....yeah that was dumb.

I've always wanted to see the new one, but I don't know when it's on so I haven't gotten the chance to see it.

...also I never got that into B5. I guess cause I started watching it from the middle.
Inigo Montoya 01-26-2006 08:29 AM
My dad and I have been following the new Galactica series since episode 1, and it trult is worthwhile. It's a whole hell of a lot darker than the classic series, so some classic fans might not like it, but it's definitely worth giving a shot.

SG1, Atlantis, Surface and Galactica. The only three good series on TV right now.
The Ghost of Ember 01-26-2006 09:39 AM
I watched it off and on for a while, I caught the last of the original Mini-series, and a few of the first few episodes and then sort of lost interest. However, a couple of months ago I watched a marathon and got hooked all over again. I didn't like the original Battle Star Galactica, but I did find the fact that the Cylons in the original were religious interesting, and I'm glad it seems that it has transitioned over to the new one to some degree.
IanC 01-26-2006 10:54 AM
Ive only seen the miniseries, but i thought it was awesome, i was gripped throughout the 3 hours Smile
Wingnut 01-26-2006 01:44 PM
Well I definately love this series and have been watching it since day one. Those that know of the original series know that the Galatica ran into another battlestar, the Pegasus, and it was around for a short time. It was commanded by a man called Cane. Well history repeated itself and in the triditiopn of replaceing females in previously male roles, Cane is a woman. One that happens to be played by one Michelle Forbes aka Ensign Ro from Star Trek: TNG.
Dork 01-26-2006 05:30 PM
You can download past episodes on itunes for a buck ninety-five each and watch them on your computer (or download it to your ipod if you're a sap who's bought an ipod). I missed the last two episodes so I just bought them. Rarely have I incountered a singular episode of anything that's so good I wouldn't regret throwing away two bucks to watch it on my computer. But I tell you now; I threw away two bucks to watch an episode of Battlestar Galactica on my computer and I totally don't regret it.

'Resurrection 2' was quite quite good. I'm saving the other one until after dinner.

I'm hooked.

muchlove
-Dork
Travis Bickle 01-26-2006 05:34 PM
A few weeks ago, I watched TV for the first time in about 8 months. I flipped on Sci Fi channel and watched about 5 minutes of Stargate: Atlantis, where some dude that looks like Coolio was talking about smoking futuristic space marijuana.

I will never watch the Sci Fi channel again.
kaura117 01-26-2006 06:09 PM
See, one watches Stargate: SG1 out of loyalty, Stargate Atlantis for its campiness... and Battlestar Galactica because there's no denying its brilliance. Ye skipped out about an hour early.
Dork 01-28-2006 01:12 AM
I think 'Black Market' was the single least interesting episode of BSG I've seen so far.

I think I like everyone in the show equally. Periodically I like to see more of Rosalin, Baltar, or Helo and Sharon but for the most part I don't care if any one character is featured more strongly in an episode or if another is totally out. The only exception to this is Lee/Apollo. He's a rather dull character. It doesn't help matters that the actor doesn't seem to be at the same talent level as the rest of the cast. An entire episode devoted to mainly Lee was just cruel and unusual treatment.

I was surprised that the Captain of the Pegasus
spoiler (highlight to read):
showed up dead. I actually did like him. Wonder who'll head up the Pegasus now? Eye brows would have risen had anyone but the CO of Pegasus taken over when Caine died but the ship's so far down the chain of command now you have to wonder if Adama and Rosalin will apoint someone they trust from the Galactica to captain the Pegasus now.

I'm of two minds about the possibly of Adama/Rosalin action (it's been brought up on other boards I've visited). The Slezzy Romantic in me likes the idea while the idea while the part of me that still has a backbone loves their relationship as being one of two intimately close friends who've known each other together. And that cute little kiss Adama gave Rosalin back in 'Resurrection part 2' apeases both girls at first glance. On second glance the kiss summoned my aforementioned Slezzy Romantic. The me who still pocesses a backbone has weaked the Slezzy Romantic influence over the years. Through mutual protection they've negotiated only to let the Slezzy Romantic out when given solid evidence that some hanky panky may be afoot (or resonably be afoot at some future time). The kiss was not sufficant game to lure the Sleezy Romantic beast out of her great slummer but the way those two (er... mainly Adama) looked at each other in 'Black Market' caused the great beast the roar a great roar.

I really am againist those two as a pair. They work better, as people and as a team, as they have been. Besides, there are way too many romantic relationships on that ship already. And we've got potentially more drama afoot with Dualla shooting Lee Adama sad little looks.

muchlove
-Dork
Dork 02-07-2006 12:17 AM
Just an FYI SciFi is having a BSG marathon all day tomorrow. They're showing, I believe, Home 1 and 2 through to Scar with 'Final Cut' amitted once again.

I spent a few hours today clearing out my DVR's harddrive for this Big Grin
The Ghost of Ember 02-08-2006 12:03 AM
I tend to agree with you about Black Market, however I thought Scar was pretty weak as well, I don't know, the whole 'profiling a single character' thing just doesn't work for me. Starbuck (Can't think of her real name right now) is a pretty good character and all, but the whole sort of feel they've been going for with Black Market/Scar just hits all the wrong buttons with me. Still an excellent show, just a low point methinks.

PS: The dictionary informs me that methinks is an actual word. Is the world going insane or am I?
evanASF27 02-08-2006 12:35 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Cerpin Taxt
A few weeks ago, I watched TV for the first time in about 8 months. I flipped on Sci Fi channel and watched about 5 minutes of Stargate: Atlantis, where some dude that looks like Coolio was talking about smoking futuristic space marijuana.

I will never watch the Sci Fi channel again.

Stargate Atlantis cannot compare to Stargate: SG1. SG1 is sooo much better. You can tell it was very good for a very long time since it was only recently that it "jumped the shark" (when they got rid of O'Neill). Atlantis was an interesting diversion...but it's become boring because the classic crappy Sci-Fi writers went away from the Stargate rules and went to make up their own crap (which is and always has been, c r a p ).

Anyways, back to the subject... I haven't seen BG in a looooonnnnggg time. I've probably only seen 3 episodes and that was a too long ago to remember. I'll probably have to start watching it >.>;;

(Oh btw, "cumtria!", is the best phrase ever invented on the SG1 show..*bows respectfully with fingers interlocked*.... Ep. Tin Man)
Dork 02-08-2006 01:05 AM
Atlantis is actually somewhat enjoyable. Granted, both Stargate programs have that bland Star Trek feel to them although they do take themselves less seriously than any Star Trek ever has. My main problem with Atlantis is that it's big bad evil villian is a species that can't help being a big bad evil villain. An antagionist who cannot change, who cannot control what makes them an antagionist is not fun. Atlantis took the easy way out on the villians and it sucks a great deal of enoyablity out of watching it.

'Methinks' is not only a word but methinks it's a word with much awesomeness about it.

'Scar' was better than 'Black Market' but it's still a weak episode. Starbuck's* sudden fall from grace is a little hard to swallow even considering that she was quite close to the recently deceased Caine. I can see pieces of where her fall came from but it doesn't quite mesh. I wish there'd been heavier hints of the fall in the episodes after Caine's death. What makes it even worse is that the pilot who yanked Starbuck's top gun mug is Kat of all people. Kat went through basis fighter training, what, 6 months ago? Kat was far from getting that mug legitimately and even so it's far fetched that she's even rivaling Starbuck.

I'm also getting quite annoyed by these flashback episodes. This is the third one in a row. Sadly next week's episode doesn't look much better. It doesn't look horrid but I'm not sensing a stellar outing this friday.

On the plus side I susccessfully recorded those two episodes I missed a few weeks ago during the marathon today (well, yesterday now). I finally free of itunes' cruel grasp of my access to two of the best episodes of the season Big Grin

Horrid itunes. It's great that the option to buy missed episodes is out there but it's not a perfect situation.

*Kara Thrace Big Grin

muchlove
-Dork
DorothyFan1 03-05-2006 08:09 PM
I see nobody has started this one so...can I do it?

This is one of the best shows anywhere since the demise of the X Files and Buffy the Vampire Slayer shows. I remember seeing the original campy series a long time ago and didn't think much of it then. But what a difference 25 years makes. The new Battlestar Galactica is dark...the writing is incredibly good and we're getting a great show to boot.

I'd like to use this thread to discuss the philosophical ramifications of the show...religious, moral, political and also use this discussion thread to talk about the theories about the Cylons "Plan" and spoiler discussions as well. I couldn't do this on TWOP...as I was severely warned not to discuss spoiler speculation on their forums...so I thought this would be the right place for me to do it.

So...anybody here watch this show?
Inigo Montoya 03-05-2006 08:12 PM
I have to agree. The show is dark, much more twisted than the original.

However, the show as a whole is melodramatic. Yet, this is part of the draw of the show. It's interesting to see where they'll carry the series, especially with the season finale coming up next Friday.
Sharpshooter005 03-05-2006 08:24 PM
I've only seen a few episodes. So I can't really comment on the writing, or the plot, or the acting...I can however say this, superficial as it may sound.

The chick who plays boomer..yeah. That alone would be good television.

That having been said...I applaud them for removing the worst part of the original series. That damn kid and his damned robot dog, I hated that. I hated it when I first saw it, I hate it even more now.

Also, I do sort of miss the old cylons...the idea of having them blend in with humans is interesting. But really, they were pretty awesome to begin with.
DorothyFan1 03-05-2006 09:53 PM
The reference to the kid and his robot dog...may not have been Battlestar Galactica. Correct me if I'm wrong...but I think it was the short lived even campier series Buck Rodgers.

Grace Park is doing a terrific job as Boomer. Certainly alot more memorable than the original Boomer. As for Katie Sackhoff...she's Starbuck. There's no other way to put it. She's great. Who was that guy who played him before? Oh..yeah...Dirk Benedict. Katie Sackhoff has made the Starbuck character her own. I originally had fears her casting would doom the show...what with all the uproar of changing the sex of the character.

I have to say Executive Producer Ron Moore has done a fantastic job of updating this series. It really is engrossing tv. For those of you just joining the ride...this show is it. Better (in my opinion) than Lost. Below is spoilers if you want to know...
spoiler (highlight to read):
Lucy Lawless has been hired for a full time gig for 10 episodes and she's being revealed to be the Cylon Supreme Leader.

In my opinion, the best episode of this series was in Season 1 called "Flesh and Bone" which was flat out haunting and eerie. It was a disturbing episode because in this one...Starbuck was commissioned to interrogate a Cylon prisoner of war and used torture to gain information. (Stuff like this is what separates it from its campy predecessor). It's really hard to watch...the stuff that was done in that episode. And it was shown literally at the height of the Abu Ghirab torture controversy that erupted a couple of years ago. (Ron Moore insisted that the episode was penned long before the photos were published.)

That episode in a nutshell shows what this series is all about. Questions about who are we? What makes us human? Does God exist? These are incredibly difficult questions and Battlestar Galactica faces them head on with no apologies. This is what makes this show such terrific viewing.
Pygmalion 03-05-2006 10:10 PM
quote:
Originally posted by DorothyFan1
The reference to the kid and his robot dog...may not have been Battlestar Galactica. Correct me if I'm wrong...but I think it was the short lived even campier series Buck Rodgers.

Alas, it is true; Noah Hathaway played Boxey, who had a robot dog. You can see them on the cover art in the IMDB listing.

Pygmalion
kaura117 03-06-2006 11:29 PM
BSG easily deserves its reputation as one of the best- if not the- best shows on television right now.

The original version, however, should be utterly ignored and left to rot in the dustbin of history. >_>