Watchmen

Generalissimo D 01-23-2006 04:05 PM

So they were planning to make a movie on this most awesome comic, and its been in limbo for the longest time.

I'd like to see this done, but looking at it now, I'm not sure if it'll even come out as well as one would hope.

So yeah, talk about it if you want.

:D:
Travis Bickle 01-23-2006 04:43 PM
Since David Hayter is no longer involved with it, it's no longer going to be the best comic-to-film adaptation of all time.
Travis Bickle 04-07-2006 01:53 PM
So there's a rumor going around that Zack Snyder will be directing it with David Hayter's script. Zack's only movie so far was the remake of Dawn of the Dead (which was awesome), but he's in the middle of making 300, which is another one of my favorite graphic novels by Frank Miller, and it's supposed to be amazing.
Mr. Peabody 04-07-2006 02:48 PM
Some stories should not be made into movies, and I count Watchmen amongst them.
Travis Bickle 04-07-2006 03:26 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Peabody
Some stories should not be made into movies, and I count Watchmen amongst them.

NEVER!
Generalissimo D 04-07-2006 04:07 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Cerpin Taxt
So there's a rumor going around that Zack Snyder will be directing it with David Hayter's script. Zack's only movie so far was the remake of Dawn of the Dead (which was awesome), but he's in the middle of making 300, which is another one of my favorite graphic novels by Frank Miller, and it's supposed to be amazing.

I think, IIRC, that 300 is about Spartans. And the Battle of Thermopolayae(sp?). Or something.

I fail to see how one could ruin it without seriously trying.
Mr. Peabody 04-07-2006 04:16 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Zaphod Beeblebrox
I think, IIRC, that 300 is about Spartans. And the Battle of Thermopolayae(sp?). Or something.

Yes, 300 is about the battle of Thermopylae. The title is from the 300 Spartans who fought and died alongside their King, Leonidas, against a massive Persian army attempting to conquer Greece.

Other Greeks were present at the battle, but Leonidas gave them permission to leave before the Persians surrounded them all.
Generalissimo D 03-12-2007 01:29 AM
Nine Kuze 03-12-2007 01:32 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. D

Yeah. That's the shot that's in the 300 trailer... supposedly and all.

Interesting nonetheless, and I still need to finish reading this.
Peace.
Nine Kuze 03-16-2007 01:30 AM
Hurm, double post. Most remember to investigate further.

I finished reading the Watchmen novel today...

...holy sh** its amazing. The ending was top notch and you can really feel and getting an actual reading on the paranoia of the people in the United States as WWIII comes closer and closer. And you don't get that in much books.

Also, and I'm just nitpicking here, but why didn't Adrian Veidt (for some reason, I alwyas call him "Conrad Veidt". D should know what's up :o) create another monster to kill half of a city in the Soviet Union, kind of as a way to even things over? I mean, he got the result he wanted but I feel like an even playing field could have achieved if both the US and the SU were crippled in the same manner. But yeah, the result would have probably be the same anyway.

A film would be damn nice, but I don't know if there's a director out there who could translate this to a proper film (no offense, Synder). And my friend and I were talking about the other day that Ron Howard should play Rorschach. Sounds interesting. Most remember to investigate further.

Also D if you read this, you remind me a lot of Rorschach. Which is amazing mind you.
Peace.
Mr. Peabody 03-16-2007 09:02 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Nine XXVI

Also, and I'm just nitpicking here, but why didn't Adrian Veidt (for some reason, I alwyas call him "Conrad Veidt". D should know what's up :o) create another monster to kill half of a city in the Soviet Union, kind of as a way to even things over? I mean, he got the result he wanted but I feel like an even playing field could have achieved if both the US and the SU were crippled in the same manner. But yeah, the result would have probably be the same anyway.

The best explanation for that would be that a second "alien" would result in thousands of more dead civilians. While Veidt believed his scheme was necessary to bring about world peace, he anguished over the thousands of deaths it would cause.

Interestingly, President Ronald Reagan once spoke to the United Nations and asked if the nations of the world would put their political and cultural differences aside and unite to fight an alien invasion.
Generalissimo D 03-16-2007 10:34 AM
Hurm.

Ron Howard would probably fit well, but I remember reading the Shaun of the Dead guy was up. Dye his hair and get him to do a good ol' emotionless American accent he'd probably fit better.

Granted, maskless Rorschach appears for, what, 6 pages at most?
Hobodoken 03-16-2007 01:33 PM
He's maskless a fair ammount in the beginning, but you don't know its him.

He also pulls up the mask to eat beans.

Cold beans.
Nine Kuze 05-17-2007 11:11 AM
quote:
Originally from Hollywood North Report
Here's another HNR EXCLUSIVE folks! Yours truly, Ricky Smith has just received word The Watchmen will open up their production offices in June with shooting to begin in mid to late August.

The Watchmen will be helmed by 300 director Zack Snyder and could possibly reunite him with his former leading man, Gerard Butler.

The Watchmen is a DC Comics property that in a gritty and alternate 1985 the glory days of costumed vigilantes have been brought to a close by a government crackdown, but after one of the masked veterans is brutally murdered an investigation into the killer is initiated. The reunited heroes set out to prevent their own destruction, but in doing so discover a deeper and far more diabolical plot.

Warner Bros is set to release the film in late 2008.

REMEMBER, YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST!

Peace.
Sharpshooter005 05-19-2007 05:45 PM
quote:
The Watchmen will be helmed by Dawn of the Dead director Zack Snyder

Fixed because that > some homoerotic adaptation of a picture book where sweaty guys in beards scream "SPAAARTAAAA" for 90 minutes.
Mr. Peabody 05-19-2007 08:57 PM
This movie is going to suck. Anyone who has read the book knows it. Mad

But here are a few predictions for The Watchmen:

The film will take place in 2008, instead of 1986.

Dr. Manhattan defeats the Iraqi insurgents, resulting in the repeal of the 22nd Amendment and a third term for George W. Bush. Crying

9/11 will be revealed to be Veidt's first attempt at bringing world harmony.

The Comedian has been the government's assassin for several years. RIP Michael Moore and Ralph Nader. Dead

Dr. Manhattan will discover he "contaminated" his friends on a Jerry Springer-type show.

The nation that the US is on the verge of war with is Iran, which in the film has nuclear weapons.

Iran nukes Israel after Dr. Manhattan disappears.

US bad. Iran good.

Veidt will be a tycoon/movie star. Lots of Ozymandias merchandise will be in the background.

Veidt hires numerous limousine liberals to help him with the alien invasion. They all go boom before the plan is carried out.

Rosarch's journal, containing Veidt's deception within its pages, is revealed to the world via a right wing Internet site.
Generalissimo D 05-19-2007 08:59 PM
quote:

Dr. Manhattan defeats the Iraqi insurgents, resulting in the repeal of the 22nd Amendment and a third term for George W. Bush. Crying

The Comedian has been the government's assassin for several years. RIP Michael Moore and Ralph Nader. Dead

Dr. Manhattan will discover he "contaminated" his friends on a Jerry Springer-type show.

The nation that the US is on the verge of war with is Iran, which in the film has nuclear weapons.

US bad. Iran good.

Veidt will be a tycoon/movie star. Lots of Ozymandias merchandise will be in the background.

Veidt hires numerous limousine liberals to help him with the alien invasion. They all go boom before the plan is carried out.

Rosarch's journal, containing Veidt's deception within its pages, is revealed to the world via a right wing Internet site.

After the Iran fiasco over 300?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

No.
Mr. Peabody 05-19-2007 09:06 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Call Me D. Just D. The D.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

No.

Remember that Veidt idolized Alexander the Great, who was keenly interested in the Persian Empire. When Veidt's on screen, he'll say Iran is just misunderstood.
Generalissimo D 05-19-2007 09:18 PM
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Call Me D. Just D. The D.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

No.

Remember that Veidt idolized Alexander the Great, who was keenly interested in the Persian Empire. When Veidt's on screen, he'll say Iran is just misunderstood.

spoiler (highlight to read):
And then Veidt drops the mutant.

Yeah, no.
Big Money 05-19-2007 10:43 PM
quote:

US bad. Iran good.

Is this about how people though 300 was about Iraq or something?

Because that movie was about a comic book, goddamn it.