Episode 43 Discussion: "The Stray Dog"

Shredder 01-21-2006 10:51 PM
After all the action of the last couple episodes, tonight's ep slows things down a bit as Ed and Al return to their hometown. We also see the debut of another important character- enjoy! Happy
R.Smith 01-21-2006 11:10 PM
Glad we finally "meet"
spoiler (highlight to read):
Hoenheim Elric

Since I've seen the rest of the series, it makes sense why
he'd go away for such a long time, due to his body deteriating. Just wonder where he was all this time.
Sephiroth 01-22-2006 12:01 AM
Well, I was glad we finally got to meet Hoenhiem Elric (not a spoiler, their Dad's name was mentioned in the third episode), as he is really cool, as was visible in tonight's episode. I want to know how he is able to just kind of pop up in places, without anyone ever noticing that he was there. Also, one has to wonder about the remark that Ross made,concerning the fact that the time without railroads Hoenhiem was reminiscing about existed 100 years earlier.

I actually thought that Roy was going to arrest the Elrics, and was totally suprised when he explained that he was trying to help them. It was also interesting to learn a bit more about Roy and Winry's parents.

One also has to wonder what is going to come of Al's philosopher's stone. If just touching Ed gives him visions of the door, imagine what prolonged contact with him, let alone alchemy might do.
Hobodoken 01-22-2006 02:00 AM
Hehe, I loved how Mustang ended the episode.
Schoolie 01-22-2006 02:17 PM
Great episode to follow up on the climactic events of last week's - a new major character makes his appearance, and we get to see some characters that haven't been around much lately.

The best part was we get to see the Elric's face up with Mustang and Co. right away. I was expecting this cat & mouse/pursuit stuff to build over a few episodes. I'm glad the writers didn't drag it on. The pacing was well done.

It's fun to see Mustang's "posse" do their thing within the boundaries of the military - but still holding onto what they think is right. So now that almost everyone has gathered together, isn't it about time that they all share what they know - e.g. that the Fuhrer is one of the homonculi? (sps?)
David Ryder 01-22-2006 04:51 PM
Fun Fact: Hoenhiem Elric is voiced by Mr. Scott McNeil, aka Duo from GW or Koga from InuYasha. Funimation seemed to just bring VA's from all over, which is pretty cool.
evanASF27 01-22-2006 05:04 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Hobodoken

Agreed...that was an awesome twist on what I (and probably a lot of other people) thought he was going to say in that moment.

quote:
Originally posted by Schoolie
The best part was we get to see the Elric's face up with Mustang and Co. right away. I was expecting this cat & mouse/pursuit stuff to build over a few episodes. I'm glad the writers didn't drag it on. The pacing was well done.

While watching the episode I actually thought they almost went too fast. But then I realized a day had passed between Lior and the "gathering" of everyone in one spot by the river....so it wasn't too quick afterall >.> Though I was damn suprised how Schwarzwald-like Hoenhiem was. Someone with so much "wisdom" and "Truth" that they give off a sense of being almost eccentric......at least that's the impression I was left with after this episode o_O;; I mean staring at Winry for a whole train ride!?

Oh btw...(dunno if this should be in spoilers but >.>;; )
Did anyone else see that brief 3 second shot of the half-face dude in the medical tent? ...Was THAT Archer!? O_O
Sephiroth 01-22-2006 05:18 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Zenigata-Da-Vida
quote:
Originally posted by Hobodoken

Agreed...that was an awesome twist on what I (and probably a lot of other people) thought he was going to say in that moment.

quote:
Originally posted by Schoolie

While watching the episode I actually thought they almost went too fast. But then I realized a day had passed between Lior and the "gathering" of everyone in one spot by the river....so it wasn't too quick afterall >.> Though I was damn suprised how Schwarzwald-like Hoenhiem was. Someone with so much "wisdom" and "Truth" that they give off a sense of being almost eccentric......at least that's the impression I was left with after this episode o_O;; I mean staring at Winry for a whole train ride!?

Oh btw...(dunno if this should be in spoilers but >.>;; )
Did anyone else see that brief 3 second shot of the half-face dude in the medical tent? ...Was THAT Archer!? O_O

It's not really a spoiler. Yea that was Archer. They showed half his body get taken off when the philosopher's stone was created.
And in case you're wondering:
They replace the missing half with automail.
corrupt 01-22-2006 09:20 PM
I missed the last few episodes, so I don't know how they got the philosphers stone...
R.Smith 01-22-2006 09:44 PM
quote:
Originally posted by corrupt
I missed the last few episodes, so I don't know how they got the philosphers stone...

Try reading other's posts in the previous episode threads. That's one way to update yourself.

Another way is to google episode summaries, so you don't have to spam a thread with a post telling us that you've missed previous episodes, that don't provide any contribution to the discussion.
Nine Kuze 01-23-2006 01:41 PM
So that's Hohenheim, huh? To be honest, I was kind of disappointed by his voice at the beginning and I thought the guy's name (Scott McNeil) looked familar (much love, InuYasha!)

Anyway, yeah Col. Archer got messed up as half of his body was missing due to the activiation of the Philospher's Stone and interesting how Pride ordered Roy and his crew to hunt down the Elric Boys on some really faulty and crappy grounds. I thought the "cat and mouse" sequence with Ed, Al, and the State was done pretty well and the boys were right for running away. If the State got them, and eventually the Homonculi, who knows what the hell they would do to them. I mean, I know they would kill them, but who knows before that? The way Roy ended the episode was pretty fresh, telling his story and expressing his anger to the boys. That was cool seeing how Roy sees the boys as great friends that he would do anything he can to help. Really, touching.

Also...
Hohenheim is actually around 400 years old. Just in case anyone was wondering about the railroad thing. And it was funny when he reacted to Winry calling him "old man".

Damn I can't wait to see Hohenheim and Ed and Al confront each other on the next episode!!
Peace.
Jstar136 01-27-2006 11:45 PM
After seeing this episode, it sort of reminded me of how Hoenheim looks strikingly close to Bastian from Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance.

In Fe: PoR, Bastian is a sage who (I think) uses wind as his attack. He has blond hair as well with a dark robe as well. Strikingly similar...

Although, Bastian isn't that powerful in Fe: PoR. Sweatdrop
fractyl2 01-28-2006 11:25 AM
If you note, we have four popular anime VAs on FMA.

Honenhiem: Scott Mcneil
Marta: Tiffany Grant (Asuka of EVA)
Leo: Michael Sinterniklaas (Dark Magician of YGO; Trey of Shaman King)
Lujon: Johnny Yong Bosch (Kiba of Wolf's Rain, Adam of MMPR/PRZ/PRT)