Tristan & Isolde

Green_Bird 01-14-2006 02:25 PM
Yesterday my mom and I went to see it. It was a very good movie....the fights were good, not too cheesey like other movies set around that time....oh and we can't forget the story. All and all it has something for everyone....If you like love stories and/or sword fighting/people getting stabbed....you would like this one.

Here's the IMDb page for it.....

Has anyone else seen it and/or would like to comment on it here....or if you just want to debate about if Shakespeare barrowed some things from the original Tristan & Isolde story for Romeo and Juliet...I guess you can do that here too.....
Dork 01-24-2006 07:58 PM
I'll try to see this eventually if only because I saw the Kate Mulgrew version a couple years back and quite like it.

All and all 'Tristan and Isoldt' feels like Romeo and Juliet only the emotions are more genuine. I think people blow 'Romeo and Juliet's romantic content way out of proportion. Romeo and Juliet's story is one of two melodramatic teenagers who get in a tizzy over a mutual crush and stupidly kill each over because of it. It's the perfect love story for 13-year-old girls but it doesn't do much for me.

I sound like an old crone but I've felt this way about 'Romeo and Juliet' since I was 15. I actually don't mean to sound so harsh. I don't generally like Shakespeare but that's most likely because his ideas have been so thoroughly dispearsed through the literature body that when you finally get around to reading them his plays are nothing new. What I do find interesting is how he revolutionized the way stories are told. Story telling theory of the time held that suspension of disbelief couldn't handle location changes. And people certainly wouldn't put up with a 3-hour play that took place over more than a 24 hour period. Then Shakespeare came around and started putting on plays with scene changes that went around the world and whose plots took decades to unravel their goodies.

Sorry about that. I have a thing for revolutions in story telling.

Anywho, will see this movie even if I have to rent it (I will have to rent it).

muchlove
-Dork
Sharpshooter005 01-24-2006 08:38 PM
quote:
It's the perfect love story for 13-year-old girls but it doesn't do much for me.

I like to think of it more like a comedy, in that everything that can go wrong does, but at the end instead of a resolution where it all works out they both die.

quote:
God, we love you. XD Best synopsis of T&I ever. We commend you greatly.

I think I was referring to romeo and juliet with that one..but...I can't remember right now exactly what I was thinking then.
Raphaela 04-30-2006 11:41 PM
quote:
I like to think of it more like a comedy, in that everything that can go wrong does, but at the end instead of a resolution where it all works out they both die.

From both the Venome Lord and myself...

God, we love you. XD Best synopsis of T&I ever. We commend you greatly.