For Sharpshooter: Silent Hill

M.S. Feather 04-23-2006 07:38 PM
It's very rare that I came across a horror movie that I like. That being said...I enjoyed this film.

Not just as a film adapted from a video game but simply as a horror movie this is a lot better than most of the crap I've seen from the genre in the past few years (most were just bad sequels).

The games, of course, will always be better and creepier because of the added and deeper sense of emersion into the world that you simply can't get watching a film. But I have to say they did a decent job. The mood and atmosphere was set just right, the visuals were beautiful (and creepy) and the music score was fan-fricken-tastic.

For me the movie started to go downhill a bit after they entered the church for the first time but everything that took place in Silent Hill before that was gold. I wasn't disappointed...and it was a video game based movie...*looks out window to see if there are flying pigs*
Guess this wasn't a sign of the apocalypse.

quote:
Originally posted by Sharpshooter005
edit: I remember saying "pyramid head couldn't be done using a guy in a costume" earlier in the thread...well apparently that could be done, and was done quite well. Whoops?

Ah, Pyramid Head was a pleasant surprise. He was one of the main things I was looking forward to in the movie. The first time he actually sauntered into frame I think I felt...glee. He was easily one of the biggest highlights of the film (for me anyway).

By the way, when Rose went underground to confront 'the demon' and she ran across the bobblehead nurses in the hallway and they started moving toward her in unison...was anyone else reminded of Michael Jackson's Thriller? No? Meh, guess I'm the only idiot that laughed at that. Tongue
Sharpshooter005 04-24-2006 03:25 AM
Anybody manage to catch what that mural in the church said? All I can remember is "dominum" and "deus".
088nd 04-24-2006 10:00 AM
quote:
Originally posted by M.S. Feather
Ah, Pyramid Head was a pleasant surprise. He was one of the main things I was looking forward to in the movie. The first time he actually sauntered into frame I think I felt...glee. He was easily one of the biggest highlights of the film (for me anyway).

I was the same way. My friend and I were practically to the point of applause when he first came in, with the sound of his Great Knife dragging.
Sharpshooter005 04-24-2006 11:54 AM
I read somewhere that the dvd (which is probably what'll decide a sequel, even more than the box office stuff...though apparently it's on its way to at least breaking even, 20 million return on the 50 million investment and thats just the first weekend of its domestic opening) is going to be a typical barebones release with the movie, stock commentary track, and not much else. Though Gans has apparently said theres a LARGE amount of extra material, so if the dvd sells well/the movie does well enough to warrant it, they might do the special edition with more commentary. And to be totally honest this is one of the few movies where I'm actually looking forward to the commentary track on the dvd almost as much as having the actual movie on dvd.

So yeah...it's monday, a sequels not assured, and it'd be terribly delusional interweb fan of me to pretend it is, but I'm cautiously optimistic there will be something.

quote:
was anyone else reminded of Michael Jackson's Thriller?

Are people actually going "haha..thriller", or is this some grand internet meme I missed out on, because..I'm seeing that joke EVERYWHERE.

I suppose it crossed my mind, but I'd been unable to totally avoid reading bits about the film before it came out (thankfully nothing major)

Edit: Apparently Rhada Mitchell (Rose) was on the late late show, and said the
spoiler (highlight to read):
Sore/vine/whatever stuff that spread when the 'janitor' monster touched the wall
was supposed to represent
venereal disease.

So it's good to know they apparently were thinking "lets make stuff represent really ghastly, unsettling stuff" when writing the script.
paul1290 04-24-2006 05:34 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Sharpshooter005
Silent Hill #1 at the box office.

quote:
Sony scored its fourth No. 1 opening of the year with "Silent Hill," starring Radha Mitchell as a mom hunting for her ailing daughter in a mysterious town. Along with "Silent Hill," two of Sony's other top debuts were horror movies that were not shown to critics beforehand, part of a growing trend where studios skip critic screenings when they expect bad reviews.

Two-thirds of the audience for "Silent Hill" was under 25, an age group less likely to pay attention to reviews, and the horror genre tends to pull in fans over opening weekend no matter what the critics say.

Sounds like CNN doesn't like Silent Hill.
Big Money 04-28-2006 09:52 PM
quote:

By the way, when Rose went underground to confront 'the demon' and she ran across the bobblehead nurses in the hallway and they started moving toward her in unison...was anyone else reminded of Michael Jackson's Thriller? No? Meh, guess I'm the only idiot that laughed at that. Tongue

Yeah... that's exactly what I thought. Exactly.

The movie was pretty tight, ignoring how retarded Rose was and other goofy stupid parts. It wasn't really that great of a movie in terms of meaning or overall quality, but it was lotsa fun.

PYRAMID HEAD!
Hienrich Ele 04-28-2006 10:14 PM
I saw this movie yesterday.

I never played the game, but I am a sucker for gore/horror movies, so I went to see it.

I thought it was a tad too long. But other than that, I loved it. And I loved it a lot. It was a lot of fun to watch.

Barbed Wire rape is a win in my book. Wait... That came out wrong.... Or did it..?

I judge movies in 2 aspects.

1) Do I want my money back?

And

2) Did I, at one point during the movie, cry out "I WANT TO DIE!!!" or feel as if I need 2-3 hours of my life back?

The answer both these questions was a 'No' in regards to Silent Hill.

I liked it.