Where is Vera from?

minespatch 08-26-2006 08:46 PM
quote:
Originally posted by A. Rosewater
you think that song reminds you of WWII too?!?.....i thought i was the only one who thought that, seemed like some song out of a war movie, strange.........

the song you might remember is from cabarete called: Tomorrow Belongs to Me.
SEELE 08 08-26-2006 11:18 PM
I wish I knew more about the creator of Big O's political leanings and idealigies. I often find myself thinking of Big O in political science classes because of all the refrences to various political philospers and concpets within the show. I think the Union and Paradigm are a refernce to Communism vs Capatilism.
Chitter-Box-Kat 08-27-2006 12:46 AM
I figured Paradigm was good ol' NYC when I heard "Hudson River" in the episode Bring Back My Ghost. And as a local resident of NYC, I got a sense of familiarity looking at the buildings of Paradigm. I felt like I was seeing different parts of the boroughs. And there is the American money spewing from the breifcase n Act 1...and a bevy of other dead-ringers that were mentioned in previous posts.

As far as Vera's nationality goes, French and German both came to mind, though I lean more towards German. And it wasn't really the accent that made me think so. It was the vocals of the Union a few have mentioned. Whenever I hear the song, I sounds like thier singing in German. And the song makes me thinkof WWII as well.

Of course this is just me. Some have different opinions. Oh Well
X Prime 08-27-2006 01:17 AM
They are singing in English.

And they are singing the French national anthem.
SEELE 08 08-27-2006 02:13 AM
So didn't Angel and Vera talk about a place called "Delphi" once?

Also...
The French....our are enemies...what the hell...
Jixie 08-27-2006 03:47 PM
quote:
Originally posted by SEELE 08
So didn't Angel and Vera talk about a place called "Delphi" once?

Angel mutters 'delphi' to herself in Eyewitness when she's talking to Roger in the car. I'm not sure what it was supposed to mean.

There other times french is used by Union members-- Sybil Rowan, of course, with her 'you're so sweet'. Vera bids Alan 'adieu' before they shoot each other.
Mike 08-27-2006 04:39 PM
People for the most part have American accents in a city that very strongly resembles New York, so having characters with strong European accents is a way to show they're from somewhere else. I think that's really all there is to it.
SEELE 08 08-27-2006 04:52 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Mike
People for the most part have American accents in a city that very strongly resembles New York, so having characters with strong European accents is a way to show they're from somewhere else. I think that's really all there is to it.

It's either that or them Frenchies took more offense to the "freedom fries" debacle than we thought!
Nazrael 08-27-2006 06:00 PM
Maybe she's German, but also fluent in French.

spoiler (highlight to read):
Remember, right before Alan shot her she said "Adieu."
Shadow dorothy 08-27-2006 10:01 PM
I'm pretty sure their from france.
Tsukaggin 08-27-2006 10:17 PM
We've narrowed it down and agreed on some part or the whole of Europe. So can't we just say Europe from now on, and leave it at that?