Where is Vera from?

niceguy 09-23-2003 04:59 PM
She french canadian people
A. Rosewater 09-23-2003 05:30 PM
she's from france right?........what i never understood was why does paradigm have the arch d'triumph in it when its suppose to be a future version of New York?.......anyone know????
Lady Tesser 09-23-2003 05:53 PM
I say German orientation. Ronstandt's not exactly Polynesian, you know. And her accent is getting thicker in every scene she's in - not to mention they can't decide which accent she has. Ep 20 was German, Ep 21 was French ('Deest'oy zee doome!' - it was like listening to an episode of 'Allo! Allo!').

She reminds me of one of those career military German women who try to simulate femalehood even though they left it behind with their souls.

And she actually looks like a middle-aged Nanami from 'Revolutionary Girl Utena'.
Sixfortyfive 09-23-2003 06:00 PM
Oh MAN... I *completely* forgot about this, but here's your proof of Paradigm being NYC:
http://www.the-big-o.net/library/design/paradigm.html

Characters 9 through 14 of the first paragraph spell out "Manhattan." A rough Babelfish translation of that section is...

Far past, it is categorized to the place where it was called Manhattan at one time (in these times as for the place name it does not remain in even memory) the city where it is enclosed in the dome (or the slum around) name. It happened 40 years ago, "what?" in order that the earth becomes the world where it is covered in the cloud whose always lead color is thick depending upon, that escapes from the trick of cold and the air circulation which are brought, the people of part construct the enormous dome. Inside the dome, the air and the atmosphere which are purified good temperature and humidity are managed artificially, and being mistaken ones in the sunshine and the time fall also the rain and to the snow. Paradigm city main street - But, as for having been permitted the fact that it resides there, about it is possible to invest on the equipment and, we are limited by the people who can be rich, poor ones are thrust to the slum around the dome.

And am I the only person that remembers Rosewater's "Bank of America" check in Act 12?
SharpDressedMan 09-23-2003 06:48 PM
I know the voice actor is German but I still think they are intending for her to be interpreted as a person from France. I think the fact that the robots name is Bonepart makes it so that there is really no question. The voice actor could be a Japanese person but they could be playing a squirrel... that would not neccesarilly make that person a squirrel in real life just like vice versa just because the voice actor could be german and be playing a French person in the show and not neccesarilly be French in real life. Ok that was the worst comparison in the world but get what I'm saying. The fact that the English voice actor is german doesn't make much difference in what is intended for the character by the creator of the show and that to me seems clearly to be french. Hope I've done a good job of proving my beliefs... oh wait! Of course I have... haven't... have... haven't... oh well! Guess i'll wait and see.
Sixfortyfive 09-23-2003 06:50 PM
I still say that "Union" = "European Union." No specific nation.

And I've got their anthem, "Flag." I reeeaaaally think it sounds German, but I can't be for sure.
niceguy 09-23-2003 06:52 PM
No she not from france, she from canada. A big portion of the canadian people in real life speak french they are called french canadian and canada borders the north american continent which includeds new york city the place this anime take place in.
Sixfortyfive 09-23-2003 06:54 PM
The foreign megadeuses seemed to have come from across the sea.
StevieV019 09-24-2003 07:35 AM
I must applaud you, Sixfortyfive...I remembered the Bank of America check as well (I was waiting for you/someone to bring it up...hehehe)...did it say New York on it? I do recall they zoomed in on the check,all checks have the state of which the bank's check is drawn on...so it'll probably say NY...glad someone remembered that....
SharpDressedMan 09-24-2003 12:17 PM
After my talk with you sixfortyfive I guess I'll end up agreeing with you. I think the union is of no specific nation and is bassically a combination of peoples from across the ocean... more than likely Europe. So I suppose that song that they sing is their anthem? Sounds very much latin to me but I could deffinitely be wrong... but now that I'm listening to it doesn't it really remind you of one of those old songs from back in WWII I mean that you would hear the Germans singing? Yeah so definitely the European union but I guess the nationality of Vera is still anyones guess. I'll probbobly just have to hold my final judgement till the end of the series... so sad to say... end.
A. Rosewater 09-24-2003 12:35 PM
you think that song reminds you of WWII too?!?.....i thought i was the only one who thought that, seemed like some song out of a war movie, strange.........
InsInIfIcant 09-24-2003 03:07 PM
The foreign Megadeuses came from up from the sea so that would suggest they are from overseas. Before seeing stripes I didnt think there would be that many conspiritors in the city. How did they all get in without anyone noticing they havent lived there their whole lives? Vera isnt anget #1 if I remember correctly, so who is? Either Angel or Alan was agent 340 or something so it looked as if everyone wasnt there. Though it does seem like Paradigm is New York I dont think it is important and I doubt they will ever confirm or deny it.
Golgo13 09-24-2003 03:16 PM
Accent is definitely German, but then why have a megadeus named Boneaparte, unless she got it as a trophy from conquering France Shocked

Oh, and they show the Brooklyn Bridge in an episode, Paradigm is postively NYC.
R.Dorothy Waynewright 09-24-2003 05:56 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Golgo13
Accent is definitely German, but then why have a megadeus named Boneaparte, unless she got it as a trophy from conquering France Shocked

Oh, and they show the Brooklyn Bridge in an episode, Paradigm is postively NYC.

Okay, I agree with Sixfortyfive... I think the Union is just a group of people from random European countries.

But okay, are you people deaf? Vera DOES NOT have a FRENCH accent, no way. Its definately German. Its amusing, because German and French accents don't even sound alike. Maybe you were all just assuming French because of Winter Night Phantom? I did at first, but after listening to her talk for a bit, its definately a German accent.

And as for how could Vera be German but have a French (assuming its French just because its called Bonaparte) megadeus....well subscribing to Sixfortyfive's theory, thats possible, and even likely. So there you go.

Big Grin
SharpDressedMan 09-24-2003 07:34 PM
Well now it is my opinon heavily that Vera is German but I do agree that the union is just plain European. Just watch Austin Powers and listen to Frow Farbisama... almost identical and she is german! HAHAHA THEY KINDA LOOK THE SAME! She is definitely not canadadian since the Megadeuces from across the ocean. I know I said the song is like a song that would be sung by the germans durring WWII... and well I dont know much about European history of music but I asked my bro and he says that the song sounded semi Russian. Now I didnt really think this but who knows.

The only problem that I have with all this junk about the union is....

WHERE IS ALAN AND ANGEL'S EUROPEAN ACCENTS?
Perhaps the Union consists of many people from around the world that just weren't born in Paradigm city! Think about it!
Patsai 09-24-2003 07:54 PM
Well, we're certainly getting some debate here!

Anyway, remember the Union's vocal song? Doesn't it sound like the French national anthem?
R and D 09-24-2003 08:21 PM
i guess ZE FRENCH UNION! Big Grin
Sixfortyfive 09-24-2003 08:24 PM
quote:
Originally posted by RogerSmith
Well, we're certainly getting some debate here!

Anyway, remember the Union's vocal song? Doesn't it sound like the French national anthem?

Again, the words in the song sound GERMAN! I have the soundtrack and have listened through it more than once.

As for Alan and Angel's lack of accents... Wouldn't the Union want to send in agents that DON'T have a suspicious foreign accent? Hmm?
paradoxx 08-25-2006 07:20 PM
Paradigm City is New York city for most intents and purposes.

Vera is from Quebec, When she refers to the "union" she is talking about the North American US-Canadian (and I guess Mexican) Union (which doesn't exist in our world yet, although it is getting close to it).

Her goal is to restore the glory of the international union so that the divisions between nations (US, Canada, Mexico) do not interfear in her level of control. Her desires are grandiose and vain, everything she espouses that others are held back by. "you always wanted to live in this city of vanity didn't you?" is one of hte statements she said to Angel.

But i could be totally off track here.
SEELE 08 08-25-2006 07:38 PM
I always thought that the Union was a refernence to the fallen Soviet Union. The color red is associated with the Union like it is with Communism in general and the Union's agents are expected to act for the good of the Union as if their very existance was to serve the state. Vera also seems to think that Paradigm's lost memories belong to the "people". And didn't France have a short-lived communist goverenment at one time....The communist theme for the Union makes sense in contrast to Paradigm's highly capatilist nature.