Star Wars: Empire at War

Mike 01-09-2006 10:50 PM
Why hasn't anybody said anything about this game yet?
http://pc.ign.com/objects/713/713904.html
http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/star-wars-rts/

It's a new Star Wars RTS coming out...and it looks like it's actually going to be good*. Really good. I just want to command a legion of Star Destroyers led by an Executor, and wacthing sissy Rebels flee as I bring raw smackdown upon their foolish ships with my monstrous cans of whoop-ass.

Alternatively, I want to topple the evil empire with guerilla warfare and funky Mon Calamari ships. And X-wings. And maybe K-wings! :o

*Galactic Battlegrounds was good, but it was basically Age of Empires 2 with different graphics.
088nd 01-09-2006 10:51 PM
You WOULD start a Star Wars game thread.

Looks good though.
Travis Bickle 01-09-2006 10:55 PM
They need to stop making Star Wars games. Period.
Mike 01-09-2006 10:57 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Gonzo

It would be a lot better if 3/4 of them didn't suck out loud.
Travis Bickle 01-10-2006 12:18 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Mike
quote:

Agreed. Galaxies is one of the worst MMOs I ever played (at a friend's house), the Ep. 2 games sucked, Ep 3 game sucks, and everything else is pretty much garbage. Jedi Outcast pwns hard, and Battlefront 1 and 2 are ok, but they all got old really really fast.
Jim Starluck 01-10-2006 12:46 AM
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Mike
quote:

Agreed. Galaxies is one of the worst MMOs I ever played (at a friend's house), the Ep. 2 games sucked, Ep 3 game sucks, and everything else is pretty much garbage. Jedi Outcast pwns hard, and Battlefront 1 and 2 are ok, but they all got old really really fast.

If only they hadn't abandoned the X-wing series...

Anyway, I'm not entirely sure about Empire at War yet. Superficially, it looks somewhat like Star Wars: Rebellion, which was both fun and tedious at the same time. If they've taken that game, ironed out the wrinkles and given it some modern graphis, this could potentially kick ass. Won't know until I get my hands on a demo or the game itself, though.
David Ryder 01-10-2006 12:51 AM
I don't know about anyone else but I loved the SNES Starwars games. Much fun.
corrupt 01-10-2006 05:03 PM
hear hear, mmorpgs are crap if u have to pay for them...
Mike 01-10-2006 07:30 PM
Rebellion sucked. It tried to do way too much all at once and the actual combat part was awful. Plus it was REALLY hard.
Sharpshooter005 01-10-2006 07:46 PM
This is going to follow the starcraft model, where you micromanage resources..isn't it?

I just...I wish every strategy game would turn out like either sid miers gettysburg, or dawn of war. Both of those made you focus on...you know...actually strategizing as far as battles. There wasn't any of this "oh you didn't get X amount of X resource by a certain time in the battle. You could carry out a masterful battle plan, but it won't matter!!!"

I understand resources are important in combat. At the same time...I really doubt Napoleon paused in the middle of a battle to micromanage the grain harvests of a single farmer.

quote:
All of the gameplay and action within Star Wars: Empire at War is a persistent, meaning that strategic and tactical elements from previous events will have a permanent effect on the galaxy.

This is interesting though. But it makes me wonder...is this an massively multiplayer game? It dosen't seem to say.

Since yeah...I don't do monthly fees.
Mike 01-13-2006 10:36 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Sharpshooter005
This is going to follow the starcraft model, where you micromanage resources..isn't it?

I just...I wish every strategy game would turn out like either sid miers gettysburg, or dawn of war. Both of those made you focus on...you know...actually strategizing as far as battles. There wasn't any of this "oh you didn't get X amount of X resource by a certain time in the battle. You could carry out a masterful battle plan, but it won't matter!!!"

That is why I cheated. Like a little sissy girl.
quote:
quote:
All of the gameplay and action within Star Wars: Empire at War is a persistent, meaning that strategic and tactical elements from previous events will have a permanent effect on the galaxy.

This is interesting though. But it makes me wonder...is this an massively multiplayer game? It dosen't seem to say.

Since yeah...I don't do monthly fees.

I think they meant that if you lose a battle, you keep going with the campaign and your enemy has that little bit more of an advantage over you. Instead of a loss just meaning you have to try again.
X Prime 01-13-2006 10:47 PM
The worst thing about Starcraft? easy.

"KEKEKEKEKEKE ZERGLING RUSH"

Dear lord. After the first few times of seeing that, no more Starcraft battle.net.
Mike 01-24-2006 09:28 PM
I had a friend who would max out the population cap and make 200 of those big flying crab things. That was messy.

Also, no, this game isn't all about mining stuff. Owning planets makes you money. Owning more planets makes you more money. More money lets you buy cooler things with which to own other people.

Plus, the demo is fun.
corrupt 01-24-2006 09:30 PM
I played a game called rebel assult, it was kool, i layed it when I was 6-7 I think, twas kinda like time crisis
Mike 01-24-2006 09:36 PM
....yeah that's a completely different game from like 15 years ago. It was fun back in the day but FMV games where everything follows a set pattern got old fast.

Edit: Yes there is a demo. I said I played it in my last post.
corrupt 01-24-2006 09:38 PM
Twas entertaining for a 6 year old, btw is there a demo of empire at war yet?
Hobodoken 01-24-2006 09:57 PM
There is a demo out, as people have stated multiple times.

I've played it, it looks solid. The tutorial runs you through the basics of both sides, and you can play a short mini-campaign for the Rebellion.

It has it set up so that there are space battles, and land battles, having a space-fleet at a planet prevents ground forces from landing, but the Rebels can send a single unit (squad) in without fighting the space-forces. They've made the Rebellion and the Empire very different, and it looks like it'll be fun.