Future of Futurama

Nine Kuze 01-09-2006 05:01 PM
Hobodoken 01-09-2006 05:02 PM
*prays to various dieties*
Pygmalion 01-09-2006 05:06 PM
I'd like to see more Futurama, as long as the team's back together.

Pygmalion
Generalissimo D 01-09-2006 05:09 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Hobodoken

I pray to Alan Rickman.
Sharpshooter005 01-09-2006 05:12 PM
I'd have much rather this came back instead of family guy. Or it had come back in place of American Dad. I forget why seth macfarlene needs two shows that are identical in some ways.

Coincidentally. I recently won some...bizzare..trivia contest thing on one of the larger futurama fansites, and wound up getting that "monster robot fun collection" dvd (it's basically just sort of a "best of" dvd. But it has my two favorite episodes, "hell is other robots" and "roswell that ends well" so thats pretty nice)

quote:
There was way too much emotion on Futurama for a comedy show.

Alot of the show stemmed from the general setting and the characters, yeah.

They usually...managed to pull it off well. But I can think of some parts of some of the episodes where it seemed sort of forced to a degree.
088nd 01-09-2006 05:14 PM
There was way too much emotion on Futurama for a comedy show.
corrupt 01-09-2006 05:32 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Zaphod Beeblebrox
quote:
Originally posted by Hobodoken

I pray to Alan Rickman.

Indeed, you should join my church, the joint church of Alan Rickman and the Fonz, aboot futurama....

F*** YEAH!!!
R.Smith 01-09-2006 05:37 PM
Heh, I've been following Futurama's possible comeback on:

Can't get enough Futurama

Billy West (Fry's VA) had once mentioned on a video that they were making a movie, but there's nothing 'solid' on it yet.

It's really all still waiting the green light, but I think given Family Guy's comeback, and Fox was probably happy to get more viewers on the Sunday's the new episodes were shown, I bet they'll want get the same results from Futurama.

Although I've also heard that they might be planning a direct to DVD approach.
Dork 01-09-2006 05:38 PM
I've heard murmurings of a Futurama return for a few years now. The last thing I heard was that a straight to DVD movie was perhaps in the beginnings of being in the works. I'd like to see it back, in whatever the incarnation. It was a good show.

muchlov
-Dork
The Ghost of Ember 01-09-2006 06:19 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Sharpshooter005
I'd have much rather this came back instead of family guy. Or it had come back in place of American Dad. I forget why seth macfarlene needs two shows that are identical in some ways.

Yeah, I tend to agree on both cases. The only characteristic difference between Family Guy and American Dad that I can tell is that Family Guy is actually, you know, funny. Maybe I caught a bad episode or something, but it really was just awful.

In any case, Futurama might come back, hey, yeah, I've only heard this exact same story rehashed over and over again over the past year. Look, I love Futurama, and I'd love for it to come back, but actually give us something concrete before 'announcing' it for the fifth time. Please hear my plea entertainment news sources!
Generalissimo D 01-09-2006 06:23 PM
quote:

Uhh...drugs? And American Dad has an ALIEN. That makes it different from Family Guy who only has a super-intelligent infant.

Zombie Jesus better deliver.
Sharpshooter005 01-09-2006 06:30 PM
quote:
And American Dad has an ALIEN. That makes it different from Family Guy who only has a super-intelligent infant.

There are parallels, they sort of diverge with the alien but they're still there. Seth MacFarlene has even said, in interviews, "it's basically the same show." Besides...I said some ways, they're obviously not going to be exact parallels.

Whats BIZZARE is I used to loathe american dad, but find family guy tolerable. And in the span of...maybe half a season, that just flipped totally. I think because family guy just took whatever pacing did exist and threw it completely to the wind once they got back on the air. Which makes sense...if your show can succeed where many have failed, and generate enough hype and revenue to be resurrected, you're set no matter what almost. Furthermore fox...has basically said they're paying closer attention to dvd sales now.

Which leads me to believe any new futurama will be...probably a dvd thing. A straight to dvd movie or movies, or a set of episodes. There was another little blurb more recently about talks to bring the series back for a "limited number" of episodes. So the idea of just going right to dvd seems to make sense.

Besides, we couldn't have them juggling the schedule..not with such top notch material as "the war at home" (and yes, whoever is behind that show HAD to have blackmailed someone at fox to have it greenlit. I'm firmly convinced of that.)
Zopwx2 01-09-2006 07:13 PM
Hah for sure I like Futurama.

If they can ensure non-suckiness, I'm all for it.
Generalissimo D 01-09-2006 07:26 PM
quote:
Besides, we couldn't have them juggling the schedule..not with such top notch material as "the war at home" (and yes, whoever is behind that show HAD to have blackmailed someone at fox to have it greenlit. I'm firmly convinced of that.)

I have a theory that they have sets of dice which they tape names of shows too. They do this with new ones, and greenlight the result.'

Edit:

Ahh yes. Who could forget that episode where Bender goes to robot hell?

Well it was made into a Megaman flash a while ago. Here it is. Megaman Goes to Hell
Volt 01-09-2006 07:44 PM
I was just watching the volume 4 DVDs today. Heh. Man, it would be sweet if it got brought back. The later episodes had a little too much Fry & Leila stuff going on, but I maintain that any given episode of Futurama is greater than just about any other comedy (excpet for a few of the old Family Guys).
Sharpshooter005 01-09-2006 07:46 PM
quote:
The later episodes had a little too much Fry & Leila stuff going on

Even when it went wayy too much into that, there was at least still enough humor to keep it going. Admittedly thats probably my least favorite aspect of the series, but even in the last episode (or..the last aired, "the devil's hands are idle playthings" which was heavily reliant on the fry and leela stuff) you still had stuff like the hedonism-bot.

"A man writing an opera about a woman?! How DELIGHTFULLY absurd."

edit: Question. Do the dvds have enough bonus material to warrant a purchase? As big a fan as I am, I can always just watch it on adult swim (and have...a friend of mine in high school and I almost had most of the episodes memorized) so I can't really justify shelling out the cash for stuff thats freely available...and besides, I already have that one dvd.

Oh unless the dvd revenue will help force more of the show. Then I'm all for it on that principle alone.
Patsai 01-09-2006 07:51 PM
Mike 01-09-2006 07:54 PM
THE HYPNO TOAD COMMANDS ME TO POST IN THIS THREAD

Maybe we'll be able to bite Bender's shiny metal ass one more time.
Volt 01-09-2006 08:22 PM
"Due to a technical problem with All My Circuits we will now air a marathon of Everybody Loves Hypnotoad."
"RRRRVVVEEEARRRRRRRRRRRRRRR"

quote:
edit: Question. Do the dvds have enough bonus material to warrant a purchase? As big a fan as I am, I can always just watch it on adult swim (and have...a friend of mine in high school and I almost had most of the episodes memorized) so I can't really justify shelling out the cash for stuff thats freely available...and besides, I already have that one dvd.

Oh unless the dvd revenue will help force more of the show. Then I'm all for it on that principle alone.

I'd say so. There are a few deleted scenes (that are usually pretty funny) and sometimes an animatic for an entire episode, plus an audio commentary for every episode. There are also a few misc bonuses on some discs I haven't looked at (like 3D models, for example). This at least applies for all the volumes I own (I have 1, 2, and 4... and I don't really see 3 being any different). I don't focus on the bonuses too much though, and even though I've seen each episode at least 3 times I don't see myself ever getting tired of the DVDs.

Best quote of the moment:
(After Wormsworth builds a giant mirror to reflect the sun's rays, a small rock hits it and causes it to reflect a concentrated beam of light at Earth)
Some Guy: That's... kinda bright. *gets roasted*
Nine Kuze 01-09-2006 09:17 PM
Getting Futurama back would be some good stuff indeed, as it had the same witty and interesting humor that The Simpsons had... before The Simpsons went to Hell. Seriously, I can't really watch the new shows that much anymore. They're just bad.

And a straight to DVD concept isn't bad either but I'd rather see Futurama get the same treatment that Family Guy last year when MacFarlene and his boys told us not to call it a comeback. As for American Dad which a number of you guys are talking about, its not really that good. Its tolerable but its no Family Guy, actually, just a watered down version of Family Guy, that's not as (or even if at all) funny. The only I like more in American Dad than I do in Family Guy in are the kids Hailey and Steve rather than Chris and Meg. Actually, take Steve out of there because Chris would whip his a**. Just give me Hailey for Meg, cause it seems like the writing team did a much bigger effort on her. Roger's funny but he's no Brian and what the hell is up with the goldfish?...

With The War at Room, I like it. I can see how people wouldn't and after the pilot, its going pretty much downhill but I still watch it. I mean, at least the daughter (Hilary) is fine. Everybody can get fired for all I care.
Peace.