Future of Futurama

Sharpshooter005 01-09-2006 09:33 PM
quote:
I can't really watch the new shows that much anymore. They're just bad.

Maybe it's just because I grew up loving that show, but..even when it's not as good as it used to be. And I can conciously recognize why it's not. It still manages to entertain me.

quote:
its not really that good.

Again. I think it's because...family guy lately has literally become NOTHING but musical numbers and cutaway jokes. Those are fine, but they do it constantly. The earlier seasons did at least have some pacing. I realize the "it's just like the time (blank) did (blank) *cutaway*" is a staple of the show. But now it just seems like every other scene does that.

quote:
at least the daughter (Hilary) is fine.

This is true. The rest of the show is completely forgettable and does nothing for me, but it does have that going for it.
Pygmalion 01-09-2006 11:09 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Zaphod Beeblebrox
Ahh yes. Who could forget that episode where Bender goes to robot hell?

Well it was made into a Megaman flash a while ago. Here it is. Megaman Goes to Hell

That was funny. Thanks for digging it up, Zaphod!

Pygmalion
BethMcBeth 01-11-2006 07:41 PM
Yay! That would be fun to see more Futurama, even if it like only went on DVD I would probably still enjoy it. ^_^""

-Beth
David Ryder 01-11-2006 08:05 PM
More Futurerama? awesome. "Fire it up."
corrupt 01-11-2006 09:31 PM
Hopefully it'll be here to stay!
Mugiwara Luffy 01-11-2006 09:36 PM
Futurama was a great show. I often preferred it over Simpsons and Family Guy. And given the current state of those two shows--they aren't the comedic gems they once were--I'd love to see a return of Futurama. Though I suspect it's quality would rapidly degrade as well....

But there is something different about Futurama. First of all, the characters aren't as stale and one-dimensional as those in the other two shows, in my opinion. Plus, there's a whole galaxy to draw plot ideas from. So I could see this working out...
R.Smith 01-27-2006 02:51 AM
http://www.gotfuturama.com
Futurama Return to DVD Seems Likely

quote:
The other day, Billy 'Fry' West posted on his message board that he got a call, saying that production for up to four Futurama DVD movies will start around July or August:

quote:
[The] Futurama project is a done deal! [...] There are 4 DVD movies that we'll start recording at the end of July or August. Full feature length FUTURAMA movies. Everybody is excited to get back together--as I am!

Into the Future,
Billy

We tried to verify this post with sources close to the show and ... didn't get a denial. That's way more than what we got before!

Since FOX didn't go public about this yet, there might of course be last minute reversals. Expect more info here soon.

In context of our last update: This is purely about DVDs for now. Peter Liguori and the FBC are responsible for the TV part of FOX.

Time for Fry to dance! Smile

Can't wait to see this again

on new DVD's!!! Big Grin
R.Smith 03-21-2006 08:20 PM
http://www.gotfuturama.com/

quote:
New Futurama Season(s)?

Our friend Billy West has once again spilled the beans. According to a post he made on his message board, Futurama is going to be renewed for television with 26 episodes. No word as to what station it will be on, who will rejoin the cast, or whether it'll be two seasons that would consist of 13 episodes each or one HUGE season of 26 episodes. Please keep in mind though, all this information is still very unofficial. Nothing is down on paper. No contracts signed. Nada. NOTHING. But, it's still pretty awesome.

quote:
I'm this close to selling my show--''Billy Bastard--Amateur Human Being,'' And the other good news is that they're doing 26 new episodes of ''Futurama'' for TV and we're hammering out the deal now. The original plan was to have the DVD's first but that's no longer the case.I'm totaly jammed dude.

Greetings from the year 3000! It still sucks!

Billy

Update:

quote:
I'm getting different bits of info that say this news may not be the case.There IS something up Futurama project wise but but it might be the DVD's still.It's hard to keep up with things--but I'll try to do better.

Sorry,
Billy

So there you have it folks, the return of Futurama as a series may not be the case as of right now. In related news that backs up the idea of Futurama coming to DVD rather than TV, Bill Morrisson recently spoke to a fan about how the Futurama Movie script is almost finished at a convention in Germany. Woot.

Update 2: (mArc)
Another well-informed source tells us that there was no basis in reality for the 26 episode rumour. The plan to make direct-to-DVD movies is still existing.

Man, sure does seem like either way we'll have more Futurama this year, or maybe next. Big Grin
R.Smith 05-01-2006 03:19 AM
The above was apparently wrong info. Frown

quote:
Update 2: (mArc)
Another well-informed source tells us that there was no basis in reality for the 26 episode rumour. The plan to make direct-to-DVD movies is still existing.

Update 3: (Jon)
Bill Morrison was misquoted as to say that the Futurama script is almost finished, and rather was speaking about a Simpsoms Movie script. As of now, there's no Futurama script.

I missed this when it was first posted.

quote:
Futurama on Comedy Central in 2008

The (subscription) media publication Variety and zap2it are reporting that Comedy Central is going to pick up all 72 existing Futurama episodes starting 2008 when Cartoon Networks' 5 year run ends. The new contract is said to be for 5 years again but this time comes at around $28m compared to rumoured $10m paid by Cartoon Network. If things stay as planned, Comedy Central wants to run Futurama weekdays at primetime.

That's 2 years to go but at least we know that Futurama won't just vanish from the air.

28-10-2005

BUT just read this, of course may or may not be more rurmors.

quote:

April 26th Interview with Matt Groening
quote:

AVC: What can you say about the Futurama movies?

MG: We're going to do four of them, straight to DVD. And as we speak, I'm exchanging e-mails and ideas with David X. Cohen and Ken Keeler, both of whom worked on the show from the very beginning. Right now we're trying to figure out whether to do a giant epic, or separate crazy movies, or what. But I wager that Bender will be featured prominently.

AVC: On Futurama, Robot Devil has appeared a number of times. Is there a Robot God to go along with him?

MG: That's one of the things we're probably going to explore in one of the Futurama movies. In one of our best episodes, we had a conversation between Bender and what apparently was God, and I think we're going to explore what was really going on in that conversation.
R.Smith 06-23-2006 02:27 AM
quote:
Futurama DVD Movies on Track

Even though there is little information about the four Futurama DVD movies, the project remains on track (i.e., as it stands, they are going to be produced). To give you an idea of the timeline, the first of the movies is tentatively planned to be released around Xmas 2007. We'll let you know once we get more information from our sources.

Here's the one everyone wants to read:

quote:
Reuters: 13 New Episodes for CC

After word from two voice actors had spread during the last two days, the news agency Reuters is now reporting that "Comedy Central has resurrected the former Fox animated series from "The Simpsons" creator Matt Groening and David X. Cohen. At least 13 new episodes will be produced."

They go on to quote David Bernath, senior vice president for programming at the network.
quote:

"We are thrilled that Matt Groening and 20th Century Fox Television have decided to produce new episodes of 'Futurama' and that Comedy Central will be the first to air them."
"There is a deep and passionate fan base for this intelligent and very funny show that matches perfectly with our audience, and it is great that we can offer them not just the existing library but something they've never seen as well."

A press release from Comedy Central dated June 22nd supposedly verifies this information but is not available to the public on their media website yet.

Update: It seems that some of these articles got some things confused. The 4 DVD movies which we reported about a few days ago will eventually be shown as 4 episodes each on Comedy Central. This makes the number of episodes 16, not 13. But as I understand it, there is no other new content other than those movies.
Jonny Axehandle 06-26-2006 09:13 PM
Okay, the episode with the "What if?" machine is on right now (The one where Fry asks what life would be like if it were a video game) am I the only person on the net who has ever noticed that one of the aliens at the end says "All your base are belong to us"? - EDIT: Meh, scratch that. I just found some stuff about it on Wikipedia.

quote:
Originally posted by 088nd
There was way too much emotion on Futurama for a comedy show.

That is why it is more creative than The Simpsons and all of the other animated comedies. Everything else is just non-stop silliness and parodies, but Futurama had comedy along with stuff the ending of the episode with Fry's dog.
Patsai 06-29-2006 03:36 PM
Futurama, from the very beginning, has always been creative with their ideas. There aren't really any two episodes on the series that are really alike.
Chitter-Box-Kat 06-30-2006 11:52 PM
I heard about it from my dad and I'm excited. I loved watching Futurama. BRING IT BACK!
Sharpshooter005 07-01-2006 12:22 AM
I'm pretty confident that this won't wind up the way family guy did. Considering they apparently had a whole plotline drawn up that would span the course of the series, instead of "...so...okay, we have 30 minutes. How many references to the '80s can we fit in there"
R.Smith 12-15-2006 10:59 PM
DXC Interview on ToyFare Magazine

quote:

Justin Aclin of ToyFare Magazine notified me that they have a short interview with Futurama executive director David X. Cohen on their site. Especially of interest to the Futurama fans:
quote:

ToyFare: So where are you right now in the production of the new season?

DAVID X. COHEN: We're about halfway through the writing, but just getting started on the animation. One big decision we have not yet made is how, once again, to "end" the series - hopefully not for the last time.

The interview also touches on some story line details and merchandise Cohen would like to see.

On the latter topic, Toyfare Magazine also features an interview with the toy producer "Toynami", who did the Futurama i-Men in the past. They are about to release new 6" figures of Fry and Dr. Zoidberg in spring 2007. Later figures will be Leela and Zapp Branigan, and yet later Bender and Kif.