What are you currently reading?

RoseRose 05-23-2006 04:33 PM
Remember, Dragonsong, Dragonsinger and Dragondrums happen at the same time as Dragonquest and The White Dragon. And, they're my fav trio, probably. I started with Dragonflight. It was my least favorite, but my best friend's favorite, so... that tells you the range of reviews it's gotten.
Shadow dorothy 05-23-2006 05:29 PM
Menolly is cool. 9 fire-lizards that rock. Beauty is my fav of them.
I'm also reading any graphic novel I come by.
RoseRose 05-23-2006 10:23 PM
Yeah, though they're all cool.

It's just a great series.
Darkfire 05-23-2006 10:40 PM
I'm reading the following: The Brother's War by Jeff Grubb, Heir to the Empire by Timothy Zahn, Dante's Inferno, Douglas Adam's Starship Titanic. I think that's it.
Schoolie 05-24-2006 06:43 PM
Eragon.

Eh, it's okay so far. After about 1/4 through, it feels like a mesh of Lord of the Rings settings with Star Wars plot. I can see a teenager writing this based on his favorite movies and books.
Nine Kuze 05-25-2006 03:00 PM
I just finished of James Bond's "Live and Let Die" and it a good book all around, and it got popping at the end like most of the other Bond books do.

Basically the plot is of after James Bond's wife dies, he gets sent to Japan to help the Japanese government out on a case. He finds out that the mastermind is actually Ernst Blofeld (who killed his wife back in Germany) and he made a Disneyland type fortess of death. So, James gets taught a brief course in ninjustu and goes into the fortess to kill Blofeld. Blofeld captures Bond and tortures him (its not a James Bond book if he doesn't get tortured) but Bond manages to trick Blofeld and kill him. Bond escapes the fortess but develops amensia, forgetting who he was. He's rescused by Kissy, and girl that he met officially for this mission and for several months, keeps him for herself and tries to hide the facts of his past. Then James discovers a newspaper about Russia and remember a little something that he had to do with Russia, goes up there to find out who he is.

I'm now on the next James Bond book, "The Man With the Golden Gun".
Peace.
Generalissimo D 05-30-2006 09:41 PM
I went to the library and picked up The Complete Collection of Milton's poems, as well as volumes 2 and 3 of The Walking Dead. Just got through the second one, and it's good.

So yeah.
Hobodoken 05-30-2006 09:44 PM
I just finished the second book of the Chanur series. I was going to ask my dad where the third one is, but he was passed out in bed. So yeah.
The Fallen Phoenix 05-30-2006 09:51 PM
And I just finished Jhumpa Lahiri's The Namesake (just five days after finishing Winterson's Lighthousekeeping), so I'm back to re-reading Collins' The Woman in White.

Hopefully, I'll get a chance to pick up a new book tomorrow.
pen1300 05-31-2006 07:49 PM
Just finished Capt. Hook by J. V. Hart. That was good. Peter Pan is on my list since that's the second "Peter Pan-like" book I've read.

Currently: A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray.

Later,
Pen1300
Travis Bickle 05-31-2006 09:03 PM
Right now, I just finished reading almost every book by Kurt Vonnegut. The last one I have to read is Cat's Cradle, which I've just started.

After that, it's everything written by Dostoevsky. I go through a book a day, and am a pretty fast reader.
The Fallen Phoenix 06-01-2006 11:30 PM
quote:
Originally posted by The Fallen Phoenix
And I just finished Jhumpa Lahiri's The Namesake (just five days after finishing Winterson's Lighthousekeeping), so I'm back to re-reading Collins' The Woman in White.

Ended up picking up Michel Faber's The Crimson Petal and the White. I'm hoping it lasts me a while so I can actually go more than a week without having to puchase a new book.

...I find that unlikely, but we'll see.
RoseRose 06-01-2006 11:51 PM
quote:
quote:

Ended up picking up Michel Faber's The Crimson Petal and the White. I'm hoping it lasts me a while so I can actually go more than a week without having to puchase a new book.

...I find that unlikely, but we'll see.
That's what LIBRARIES are for.
The Fallen Phoenix 06-01-2006 11:53 PM
quote:
Originally posted by RoseRose

I know, but...I like to own the books I read; that way I can always read them again, plus it's nice to know I don't have a deadline.

...nevermind that you can always renew books. It's still...eh. I'm lazy, I'll admit it.

I still maintain that there's something about actually owning the books...I don't know. It's why I try not to sell or throw out any of my books.
RoseRose 06-02-2006 03:32 AM
quote:
quote:

I know, but...I like to own the books I read; that way I can always read them again, plus it's nice to know I don't have a deadline.

...nevermind that you can always renew books. It's still...eh. I'm lazy, I'll admit it.

I still maintain that there's something about actually owning the books...I don't know. It's why I try not to sell or throw out any of my books.
You'd love a room in my dad's house. There's books scattered throughout the house, but one room holds most of them. There are probably over 2,000 books in that one room. I own (though they're at my dad's) somwhere in the vicinity of 100-200 books, at a conservative estimate. *shrug* How many do you own?

Boy, I wish I had as many as my father... he has ones from HIS father, some of which are held together by rubber bands!
The Fallen Phoenix 06-02-2006 08:51 AM
quote:
You'd love a room in my dad's house. There's books scattered throughout the house, but one room holds most of them. There are probably over 2,000 books in that one room. I own (though they're at my dad's) somwhere in the vicinity of 100-200 books, at a conservative estimate. *shrug* How many do you own?

Boy, I wish I had as many as my father... he has ones from HIS father, some of which are held together by rubber bands!

Not enough. It's hard to get an actual number down because my books are scattered around the house, too. Actually, there are a bunch in my room (many lined up on a shelf on my wall; there's not enough room in my room for a traditional bookcase), and then there are a bunch in the basement where there is room for a traditional bookcase. But I'm not entirely sure how many books are down there since I haven't really checked those books in some time; many of those books are books I inherited from elder cousins who no longer wanted them, though.

I would say that I probably own somewhere in the neighborhood of 100, maybe 200 books, as well, all things considered. That might be a very liberal estimate, though.

Or maybe not. I seem to have (just eyeballing) roughly sixty books in my room, and most of the books are downstairs, so that might actually be a more accurate guess than I thought it was.

As for what I'm currently reading: I've still yet to start Faber's The Crimson Petal and the White. I may begin reading it on the subway ride into the city later this morning. I am not sure if I want to finish re-reading The Woman in White (since there are roughly 50 pages to go in that) first. Either way, I'll probably start The Crimson Petal and the White by the end of the day.

...and yes, I would indeed love that room. Hopefully I'll be able to leave a room like that for my children. Big Grin
RoseRose 06-02-2006 09:47 AM
Hehe. I'm currently reading Japan Unbound, it's for class.

And yeah... the 2,000 books is probably an underestimate... I LOVE that room... you name the genre, he's got something in it. Shakspeare, Heinlein, Clancy, Zane Grey.... Any and every genre, though the most sci-fi/fantasy, because that's the fav of the entire family.
pen1300 06-02-2006 10:21 AM
quote:
quote:

*coughs* Seconds the library comment. You can always buy them AFTER you read them. Library books are free and go out for about 2-3 weeks. Also, you can buy books from the library book sale area, assuming they have one: It's cheap and you support the library, which in these times, we need all the support we can get.

Plus, with the renewing issue, if you're lazy, check to see if they have online renewing. Most systems are switching over to an online thing where you can view your books, renew them (assuming not overdue and you have no fines) and place holds on books, all from the comfort of your computer.

The 200 some books comment: Sounds like my house. I have a good 100-200 books, a good chunk I've never read, but acquired because I want to read at some point or need for my future story time collection. Take my collection and add that to my mom's. We've got books in EVERY room, seriously...except maybe the one bathroom and the basement. The garage even has books (in boxes though). My own bathroom is going to house some books when I find a decent shelf.

"There's no such thing as too many books."

As to what I'm reading: same book as before. A Great and Terrible Beauty. Interesting to be sure and had me reading yesterday.

Fables: Vol. 2 might make its way in there today. Dunno. I'm not sure I like the direction the series took.

Later,
Pen1300
Nine Kuze 06-05-2006 04:27 PM
I have to agree with Fallen Phoenix. Although I read books anywhere I find them, I like to own the books I read as well.

Anyway, over the weekend, I finished James Bond's 'The Man With the Golden Gun' and I'm on the next book (which is also the last one of the series. Feels weird that I'm almost finished with James Bond. Hell, I'll probably just go back to read something like 'Goldfinger', which was the best book of the series), a sort of double feature of Octopussy and The Living Daylights.

I also read 'V For Vendetta' and that's one of the best graphic novels I've ever read. V was an amazing and eccentric character and the way he dies was truly amazing. I didn't see the movie, but from what I've heard about it, the movie truly doesn't own up to the book. And that's a damn shame because the novel is really that damn good.
Peace.
Chitter-Box-Kat 06-05-2006 07:16 PM
I read this book called Tangerine by Edward Bloor. It was interesting, but I wouldn't recomend it to everyone. A while back I picked up this little paperback called Clockwork. I forgot who wrote it, but it was very good by my standards.