What are you currently reading?

David Ryder 03-21-2006 05:00 PM
The Secret School: Preperation for contact
By. Whitley Strieber

Darn good book.
Nine Kuze 03-23-2006 03:18 PM
I'm not really reading a book at the moment, well actually I am with James Bond's "You Only Live Twice", but right now I'm reading the screenplay to Citizen Kane.

Amazing as hell, I can see why Orson Welles won the Oscar for this. Its very descripted and I can basically picture the movie pretty damn well just from reading this. Not too hard since I've seen the movie already but you know what I mean... I hope. Big Grin
Peace.
angelcakes 03-25-2006 02:25 PM
I have about 6-7 more pages of the last book of the Black Jewel Trilogy, Queen of the Darkness by Anne Bishop, and will hopefully get the sequel Dreams Made of Flesh in the next hour to start on. *crosses fingers*
Chitter-Box-Kat 03-27-2006 08:02 PM
Hi. Chitter-Box-Cat here! I'm curretnly reading Maniac Magee and any manga I happen to buy on a whim. Tongue Wait...do manga count as books? Confused
Dangerous 05-10-2006 03:03 PM
I was reading "stupeur et tremblement" by amélie nothomb. The poor woman !
Hobodoken 05-10-2006 04:02 PM
I started reading Les Miserables, since I loved the play, but the book seems to have become misplaced... I also started a Science Fiction novel, The Pride of Chanur, recommended by my dad. It seems alright so far, involves a human running onto a ship manned by lion-esque aleins... and that's all I've gotten from it so far.
Mugiwara Luffy 05-10-2006 06:05 PM
Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk

It's ok. More graphic than anything. The short stories are good, but the inbetween stuff sounds like filler.
Chitter-Box-Kat 05-10-2006 06:36 PM
I'm reading a book called Children of the River, and re-reading another book called The Blue Girl by Charles de Lint.
Travis Bickle 05-10-2006 07:36 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Mugiwara Luffy
Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk

It's ok. More graphic than anything. The short stories are good, but the inbetween stuff sounds like filler.

Agreed. Nothing is better than Choke, Survivor and Fight Club, though.

BEST AUTHOR EVER = CHUCK PALAHNIUK

Today, I picked up a copy of Turn On, Tune In, Drop Out by Timothy Leary, so that's what I'm currently reading.
Mike 05-14-2006 09:22 PM
I'm reading a book called Forever, by Pete Hamill. It's about this Irish kid who moves to New York in the 1700s and happens to be immortal.

Edit: Wow, I thought all evidence of the Gnostic Bible was wiped out way back when.
ScionofDestiny 05-14-2006 09:27 PM
I'm currently alternating between the Gnostic Bible and the Iliad and the Odysessy. The Gnostic Bible isn't too hard (in the traditional sense) once you get the hang of it, but the Iliad and the Odysessy is difficult in the sense Homer/Chapman really likes to get into the middle of things. I'm more interested in the beginning and the end than the middle.

I'm also re-reading the Icelandic Sagas. I really like the innate spirit in those sagas more than the Iliad, to be honest with you. Who says the Norse/Icelanders skalds can't write?
angelcakes 05-15-2006 09:55 AM
At the moment I've got three books going. Well...two and a re-read ^_^"

I'm reading both Poisonwood Bible (Oprah recommended it XP) and Castle in the Air (Howl's Moving Castle's sequel).

At the same time I'm re-reading Howl's Moving Castle. ^_^
Travis Bickle 05-19-2006 06:23 PM
Thanks to a shipping error from Amazon on my behalf I'm currently reading Maddox's The Alphabet of Manliness. I'm about halfway through, and it's awesome. There's an entire chapter devoted to Chuck Norris.

Proof:

Mike 05-19-2006 07:15 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Cerpin Taxt
Thanks to a shipping error from Amazon on my behalf I'm currently reading Maddox's The Alphabet of Manliness. I'm about halfway through, and it's awesome. There's an entire chapter devoted to Chuck Norris.

The gods are shining down upon you.
Sephiroth 05-21-2006 12:06 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Cerpin Taxt

That is truly the epitome of awesome. I quake in fear of the sheer manliness.

I'm reading Great Expectations by Charles Dickens right now, it's boring, but everybody loves orphans. I'm on the last chapter though, so the long and painful journey that has been this book is finally at its close.
The Fallen Phoenix 05-21-2006 01:44 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Sephiroth
I'm reading Great Expectations by Charles Dickens right now, it's boring, but everybody loves orphans. I'm on the last chapter though, so the long and painful journey that has been this book is finally at its close.

Just like Hawthorne's the Scarlet Letter, sometimes I wonder if I'm the only one who actually enjoyed that book.

Speaking of orphans, I recently picked up (literally on a whim) Jeanette Winterson's Lighthousekeeping, and I've just begun reading it. I have to admit that, so far, I've liked what I've read; the writing style that made the Passion so endearing to me is also warming me to this novel.

And not that I'm complaining--if you knew me personally, you'd know that really, I'm not--but do all of Winterson's females have red hair? Just asking out of curiosity, really.
Mugiwara Luffy 05-21-2006 02:33 PM
Just got Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk today, so I'm reading that.
Shadow dorothy 05-22-2006 03:39 PM
I'm reading Acorna and The Master Harper of Pern both by Anne McCaffery and the Chronicles of Narina. All good books for the furture scienist. Big Grin
RoseRose 05-22-2006 08:31 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Shadow dorothy
I'm reading Acorna and The Master Harper of Pern both by Anne McCaffery and the Chronicles of Narina. All good books for the furture scienist. Big Grin
I love The Master Harper of Pern!!! Robinton's my second fav charachter! (Menolly's my fav, and Jaxom's #3 on the list)! I've read the ENTIRE Pern series, though the ones with her son are no where near as good.
Shadow dorothy 05-23-2006 02:16 PM
really? I just finished Nerilka's story the ending made me cry cause it was sad. I going to read them all in order so next is Dragons Flight and Acorna Rebels.