What are you currently reading?

BethMcBeth 02-09-2006 08:06 PM
I am currently re-reading Aparat by Clive Barker and then I'll start the second book in this series.

Iam also re reading my Big O Mangas, and Pet Shop of Horros on the side too.

-Beth
Pygmalion 02-12-2006 11:54 AM
I'm reading Reign of Iron, by James L. Nelson. It's about the events leading up to the clash of the ironclads USS Monitor and CSS Virginia (formerly Merrimack).

When the Civil War broke out, Gosport Naval Yard -- one of the largest naval shipyards in the country -- was surrounded by Confederate Virginia. After an unsuccessful attempt to destroy what couldn't be carried away, the Union left a huge bounty of supplies and the half-burned Merrimack. Upon this hulk was built the Virginia, an iron-clad ship mounting rifled guns and a ram.

The Union Navy, desperate to stop this perceived behemoth, commissioned USS Monitor, an ironclad of an entirely new design by Swedish-born engineer John Ericsson.

Nelson happens to live near my grandmother's home on Orrs Island. I've read several of his historical novels, and this book is as exciting as any novel.

Pygmalion
The Fallen Phoenix 03-04-2006 12:31 PM
I've finished Winterson's the Passion (read it in a day), so now I'm beginning Collins' the Woman in White.

Meanwhile, I'm reading Brooks' Bobos in Paradise and Pieper's Prudence for my classes.
Sir Nise 03-04-2006 12:33 PM
The Illiad- by Homer
Hobodoken 03-04-2006 01:38 PM
Blood Sport by Dick Francis. I still need to return Starship Troopers...
RoseRose 03-04-2006 08:08 PM
Dreadnaught (can't remember the author, and it's currently sitting in my backpack) it's about the lead-up to WWI.

Fiction, nothing right now, but, I'm usually reading something or another... David Weber a lot of the time.
Sephiroth 03-04-2006 08:37 PM
I'm currently reading Talk to the Hand by Lynne Truss, author of Eats, shoots, and leaves. It's about how rude everyone is in the world today, and why wise people would never bother to leave their homes. Very, very funny.
Inigo Montoya 03-06-2006 08:24 AM
Reading through Chronicles and Legends again in the Dragonlance series.

Quite good books, I've always enjoyed reading Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman.
RoseRose 03-06-2006 01:40 PM
quote:
Originally posted by The Venome Lord
Reading through Chronicles and Legends again in the Dragonlance series.

Quite good books, I've always enjoyed reading Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman.
I've never liked their books that much. I've read a few, but they're not as good as other books I've read. They're not BAD... just not excellent in my opinion.
Inigo Montoya 03-06-2006 08:51 PM
Read Legends. It's rather dark, and the twisted romance novel covers on the front add to the feeling. Raistlin's darkness is captured excellently in it, as well as his indefatigable kernel of compassion that still remains in him.

But other than that, I'm reading Time Enough For Love again by Robert Heinlen(sic).
RoseRose 03-06-2006 09:19 PM
quote:
Originally posted by The Venome Lord
Read Legends. It's rather dark, and the twisted romance novel covers on the front add to the feeling. Raistlin's darkness is captured excellently in it, as well as his indefatigable kernel of compassion that still remains in him.

But other than that, I'm reading Time Enough For Love again by Robert Heinlen(sic).
*needs to read that again* THAT is a good book. I like all his Future Histories that I've read, really.
Nine Kuze 03-07-2006 03:25 PM
I am currently reading Ian Fleming's James Bond in "You Only Live Twice". It's the one after James Bond's wife gets killed by the archvillain Blofeld and he feels like he has no reason to live. So, to see if he still has it or if he should get on with it and fire him, M sends him to Japan to complete an impossible mission with the guide of Japanese agent, Tiger Tanaka. When asked what he is going to be doing in this mission, Tiger looks at Bond and said "Enter the castle, and kill the Dragon." Oh, and James Bond "becomes" Japanese in this novel.

It's really good, and I'm half way there and you get to see the differences between the Japanese and the British which is actually really interesting (and Fleming does it in his usual prejudice). I think in the films, it was one (if not the last) of Sean Connery's roles as James Bond.
Peace.
DorothyFan1 03-08-2006 12:01 AM
I'm reading the new book titled "The 33 Strategies of War" published by Viking Press. I'm devouring everything in this book. I wished this had been published years ago so I could have put some the suggestions mentioned to work for me.

This is the modern treatment of the classic Chinese military strategy book "The Art of War" by the famous Chinese philosopher Sun Tzu. it essentially teaches you how to fight dirty when you're forced to...whether in the cubicles of your workplace to the boring parties you need to attend to show yourself and match wits with people who are better than you in every way...looks, jobs, etc.

It's great material because the author shows how military leaders of the past adjusted to different situations and turned the difficulties they faced to their advantage. Absorbing stuff.
Yomiko 03-08-2006 02:18 PM
I recenty finfished The Tale of Desperux.
Now I'm reading The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman, its book one of His Dark Materials, its 399 pages long.

In senoir lit. last week I finished Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury.
David Ryder 03-16-2006 05:25 PM
Case MJ-12: The Truth behind the government's UFO conspiracies. Pretty much all I read are UFO books. Tongue
Fujiko 03-19-2006 02:18 PM
For school, I'm currently reading The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoyevsky. It's pretty long (the version I have is approximately 600 pages or so), and I hear this one I have has been condensed and that they've made the lettering smaller. I haven't had much time to read it, ironically, but I went through a sixth of it in one day and I'm enjoying it. It's about four brothers who become involved in their father's murder. (Don't feel too bad...he's an asshole.)
ebie 03-21-2006 01:28 AM
I just finished reading Romeo and Juliet tonight...
It was so sad and yet so good at the same time...
I cried, I smiled, I danced, I cheered and then I cried some more....
Pygmalion 03-21-2006 09:43 AM
I just finished rereading An Anthropologist on Mars, by Oliver Sacks. It's a very interesting book, because Sacks, a neurologist, writes about people whose brains are out-of-normal in some way, but he shows the whole person, not the disability. A very interesting book to anyone who has wondered what it's like to be someone else.

Pygmalion
pen1300 03-21-2006 10:08 AM
My books at this moment:

The Witches of Karres by James H. Schmitz for Sci Fi Lit. I didn't like the first chapter and I have to read this for the next two weeks...

Farenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury. The man is BRILLIANT.

The Artist's Way by Juilia Cameron. Good self-help book in my opinion, but I haven't actually done the work for it yet.

And let's not forget the text books for class, but I won't list them.

The Tale of Desperux is a GOOD book. I see why it got the Newbery Medal thing. She has a new one out about a glass rabbit, which I'll have to read eventually.

Later,
Pen1300
Sir Nise 03-21-2006 04:23 PM
Brave New World by Aldous Huxley.

It is awesome.