Silent Hill general discussion

Mike 01-25-2006 09:58 PM
You know....I never played Silent Hill.

But I watched my friend play it once. Basically he wandered around a foggy town for a half hour with a board with a nail in it. Then he went into an apartment building....something happened with a key...and the whole time he was freaking out shreaking PYRAMID HEAD IS GOING TO GET ME!!!!!!
Generalissimo D 01-25-2006 10:23 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Mike

But I watched my friend play it once.

Ditto. But it involved a chick stabbing dogs with a knife. Weird.

This pyramid thing intrigues me. Must remember to investigate further.
Travis Bickle 01-25-2006 10:28 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Mike

But I watched my friend play it once. Basically he wandered around a foggy town for a half hour with a board with a nail in it. Then he went into an apartment building....something happened with a key...and the whole time he was freaking out shreaking PYRAMID HEAD IS GOING TO GET ME!!!!!!

Yeah...2 is awesome like that.

You can, however, get 1-4 on Ebay for around $50 total. And 2-4 are on PC, so if you know where to look, you don't have to pay for them.
X Prime 01-26-2006 03:00 AM
Not recommanded to go for SH3 PC, as it was apparently a bad port.
corrupt 01-26-2006 04:32 PM
I played it when it first came out, I was 8 and f****** sh** scared
Generalissimo D 01-29-2006 06:18 PM
I downloaded the demo for SH4 yesterday, and installed it today.

I was amazed. I didnt think killing zombies coming at me from the walls with a shovel would be so much fun.
paul1290 01-29-2006 06:32 PM
I've only played Silent Hill 4 so far.

I've heard Silent Hill 2 and 3 were much better so I'm planning on getting them sometime soon.
X Prime 01-29-2006 08:37 PM
Honestly, 1 and 2 were the best in the series. Period.

The order they belong in is however up for debate.
David Ryder 01-29-2006 09:01 PM
1 and 2 are the best, I can argue with that. 3 was good and I loved the vocal songs by Melissa Williamson. 4 on the hand was good in it's own right, and more songs from Melissa Williamson is always a plus.
Travis Bickle 01-29-2006 09:47 PM
quote:
Originally posted by X Prime
Honestly, 1 and 2 were the best in the series. Period.

The order they belong in is however up for debate.

Chronological?

X Prime 01-29-2006 09:51 PM
No, order of greatness between 1 and 2.
Travis Bickle 01-29-2006 10:10 PM
quote:
Originally posted by X Prime
No, order of greatness between 1 and 2.

Ok. Spoiler time.

The entire opening 20 minutes of 1 was awesome, especially when you get to the fence. The whole White Claudia plot was awesome. Wait...the entire plot was awesome.

2 was really emo. ZOMG MY DEAD WIFE IM SO SAHWEE. However, Pyramid head kicked ass. The only charachter that could come close to him is Walter Sullivan, who just wreaks of badassness. HE STABBED HIMSELF IN THE NECK WITH A SPOON! How metal could you get?

3, in my opinion was the weakest one. The only reason I liked it was because it kind of finished off what was left over in 1.

4 is amazing, and I like it better than 2. When I looked in the hole in Eileen's apartment when my place was haunted and that rabbit was staring and pointing at me, I almost sh** myself completly. And the wall people were f***ing TIGHT. The ghosts that also came out of the wall were badass. DID I MENTIONED THEY RANDOMLY APPEARED OUT OF A WALL?!

So yeah. Buy them all. That's the only way you can really play them.
088nd 04-10-2006 06:22 PM
Somebody please explain to me the plot of SH2. I really don't understand the relationship between James and the town, etc. Damnit, this game confused me.
Xel 04-10-2006 06:23 PM
quote:
Originally posted by 088nd
Somebody please explain to me the plot of SH2. I really don't understand the relationship between James and the town, etc. Damnit, this game confused me.

Er... narrow it down to something more specific and I'll tell you. :o
Travis Bickle 04-10-2006 06:30 PM
spoiler (highlight to read):
James killed his wife recently and it's haunting him, and pretty much everything surrounding him is a representation of his feelings, thoughts and guilt. Emo? Kind of. Scary? f*** yeah.
Sharpshooter005 04-10-2006 06:38 PM
quote:
2 was really emo

I'm not ashamed to admit, the very ending of that game
Specifically that shot of the lake with the voiceover reading the letter, maybe thats only one possible ending, I forget
was sort of depressing.

quote:
pretty much everything surrounding him is a representation of his feelings, thoughts and guilt.

Not the
doormen
, that was
Angela

Overly technical, I know.

edit: Oh right. Is it just me having bad luck, or is the first one not easy at all to find? I've honestly spent five minutes sifting through the huge piles of old PS1 games they'll sometimes have at drastically cut prices..no luck.

Or is it only available if you buy it online somewhere. Maybe now I can finish it, the first time I played it the school just completely freaked me the hell out...which was pretty awesome, I admit.
088nd 04-10-2006 06:39 PM
Alright, so does it have anything to do with the cult events or any of the sh** from the first game?
Sharpshooter005 04-10-2006 06:43 PM
quote:
Originally posted by 088nd
Alright, so does it have anything to do with the cult events or any of the sh** from the first game?

2? Yes and no.

Yes, there are references to the cult, evidence of them, and they're generally present in an incredibly ambient sense.

Largely? No. The town is more of a
purgatory
sort of thing in 2.
088nd 04-10-2006 06:57 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Sharpshooter005
2? Yes and no.

Yes, there are references to the cult, evidence of them, and they're generally present in an incredibly ambient sense.

Any specific examples you could give?

For some reason the game just confuses me. I mean, I read some plot analyses, which basically said to the effect that

everything in the game was a creation of his imagination

but I still don't have a grasp on the game.
Sharpshooter005 04-10-2006 07:49 PM
Oh you've beaten it. Okay then..um...I'll try to do this from memory (it's been a long while since I've played it).

What basically happens: James' wife dies of a terminal disease. Three years later, he recieves a letter in her handwriting asking him to return to silent hill, which was a place they'd vacationed shortly before her passing. So far, very simple. And of course then he gets there, theres fog, theres monsters, all that fun stuff. Along the way he runs into that little girl, Laura. Heres the first big factor into whats happening, and how it's happening. You'll notice Laura is basically a little brat to James, and seems completely unconcerned with the fact there are f***ing zombies milling about the town. This is because they don't exist to her, she's basically an innocent and as such the town isn't magnifying any of her regrets or sins. The fact she seems so antagonistic towards James is she was in the Hospital at the same time as his wife Mary, and feels he neglected her in her last days. Then theres Maria, Maria looks very similar to Mary except...well, basically a slut. She dosen't really "exist" in the most literal sense of the word, rather she's a projection of James' longing for his wife and the physical attraction she held prior to her illness. Eventually James makes it back to the hotel he stayed with Mary at prior to her death...thats where he finds the tape. At which point it becomes clear he's repressed his memories, and his wife didn't die. He mercy-killed her.

As for the other characters, and why they're also there.

Eddie is a psychopathic murderer. This is why theres always a corpse near him. Eddie dosen't see monsters either. Monsters aren't his hell, his hell is a sea of normal looking people who he feels are laughing at him or taunting him.

Angela is there because she murdered her father, after he molested her. Again, she's in denial for most of the game. Once you hit the hotel, and you run into that walking door monster, thats (arguably) when she wakes up and realizes why she's there. In the end though, she can't leave, she's convinced herself she deserved to be raped. Hence why she just sort of resigns herself to that flaming staircase, claiming its "always like this" for her. Basically she just surrenders to the purgatory that is Silent Hill.

Now for the monsters. The straightjacket demons are, obviously, patients. The nurses, obviously nurses. Those boxy things that fly are supposed to be hospital beds. Notice every monster you see has sort of a medical or death related motif. This represents Mary's illness, the fact that some of the monsters make skittering noises like bugs when you knock them down is supposed to be decay. The mannequins are more some subconcious represntation of James lusting over how his wife used to look before the illness, or thats the explanation I always assumed was true.

The only monster that isn't James's mind is the doorman, and if you'll notice...the doorman has a growth on his back that sort of resembles someone forcing themselves on someone else, atop a bed. Thats Angela's subconcious memory of the rape.

And finally, Pyramid Head. Pyramid Head is both real in a way and imagined. In the historical society is a picture of the executioners which presumably used to deal with prisioners at the jail you make your way through, James saw this picture, it found its way into his subconcious. Pyramid Head is basically an eternal reminder of what James did, thats why Maria keeps getting apparently killed after narrowly being seperated from James, it's supposed to be the town reminding him he can't save his loved ones. Furthermore at one point pyramid head...well he basically rapes one of those mannequins. Again, thats James's subconcious/the purgatory of silent hill sort of torturing him. Pyramid Head is really the only monster with a masculine form, which again...well yeah. It's James's guilt being manifested by the town.

And now for the connection to the cult, it's very hard to see but you'll notice Pyramid Head wears a robe with a symbol on it...thats the Valitel sect, Valtiel being one of the three gods of the town (I never totally understood how that worked). The cult, or part of it, reveres Valtiel. If you've played 3, I'm pretty sure that weird thing that periodically turns the valves is Valtiel.

Theres also a theory Pyramid Head is the "red devil" mentioned in a newspaper article in the game, when you first see him he's bathed in a red glow. Apparently Silent Hill 4 expands on that more, I haven't played it so I have no idea.

Furthermore theres an ending where you try to raise Mary from the dead, using a cult ritual, I think it even involves white claudia.

So theres no direct narrative connections. There are little hints, mostly it's 3 and 4 that contain the hints to 2, but 2 has some references to the others. Basically 1 and 3 have the town as being in the grip of a cult attempting to bring about "paradise" through the ressurection of their god. Silent Hill 2 seems to have the town as more of a purgatory, cursed by its own history, and acting as some kind of beacon to people with intense guilt. I have no idea what 4 is like, or if it reconciles the two fairly differing views of just what the town itself is.

I have no idea if this made it more or less clear.

quote:
I read some plot analyses

I've probably read the same ones (or at least really similar), so this probably isn't new information.

edit: And according to wikipedia, Gans (director of the movie) said in a magazine they're remaking SH1...But without Harry, the main character will be Rose (the main character in the movie). So...the entire nature of what the town is/why its like that may get retconned totally, or this will be some non-canonical thing, or....who knows really.