Resident Evil

corrupt 12-31-2005 11:23 PM
Resident evil is one of the best survival horror games ever (in my opinion) your commets and whatnot (advice etc.) post here...
Travis Bickle 12-31-2005 11:24 PM
Let's ring in the new year with a humble suggestion:

Stop making threads.
Sharpshooter005 12-31-2005 11:34 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Gonzo

Stop making threads.

I have to say...I second this.

Furthermore, why is Resident Evil: Survivor even on that list. The scariest aspect of the franchise is the idea someone even MADE that game.

If you pick resident evil survivor? You're wrong. I realize taste is subjective in many cases..but not this one. That game was HORRIBLE. I'm still at a complete loss as to why I EVER brought it.
Lupin IV 01-01-2006 12:12 AM
I'm trying to get all 6 on the GC. I'm currently half-way there.

Anyway, Resident Evil on the psx is my all time favorite.

Hope this isn't Chris' blood. Frown
The Ghost of Ember 01-01-2006 12:16 AM
My thoughts on the Resident Evil series are not high ones. I had a huge hero-worship of the series... Before I had a chance to play it.

Yeah, I had played and owned mature games before my seventeenth birthday, but Resident Evil was one of several series that I had blacklisted to 'after seventeen or you will be banned from all electronic equipment by well-meaning parents.' So I turned seventeen and picked up Resident Evil 4 right away.

And I hated it. The game play was slow and unwieldy, the combination system annoying to deal with, the puzzles simplistic, and no 'horror' present at all. The gore was more 'uh, yeah,' than terrifying, and I more or less found myself bored.

The graphics were stellar though, I will concede that much.

The previous incarnations of the series might be some real gems, but Resident Evil 4 kind of ruined it for me.
AndroidZeroX 01-01-2006 01:27 AM
This shouldn't even be a contest. RE4 owned all Resident Evil games. It was the best in every category, and is even recognized as the greatest game of this console generation by some.
Randolph 01-01-2006 01:59 AM
I fear you are in for some serious repercussions from some people who enjoyed Resident Evil 4, Mr. Ember....

Anyway, I also voted for RE4. Just because Leon is so smart-arse.
My mom loves him. And Luis, because he acts like Antonio Banderas....
Except for the... *ahem, one scene.

ANYWAY. The game itself was probably the best thing I'd seen for
some time. I was impressed by the quality of detail.
I have never before been able to surmount that ultimate
obstacle of pure evil-- the two-foot picket fence. Now, with but the
tap of a button, I can swing right over that sucker and make Goldeneye
cry his golden eyes out.

The character depth was amazing. I have not yet seen a voice acting,
lip synching or motion capture job to defeat that of RE4.
Lookee Krauser and that bad ole knife. I actually forgot to blink.

And, to cap it off, I enjoyed how much detail was put into the guns.
I was genuinely impressed at how much research and nitpicking went
into getting every detail of those things correct. The upgrade system
was very well done also.

So, RE4, absolute 10/10 in my opinion. Who can hate Ramon Salazar?!
WHO, I ASK YOU?!

And, just for the record, if we're going to ramble about underage gaming,
I played Turok: Dinosaur Hunter when I was nine. So there!
X Prime 01-01-2006 02:02 AM
Turok was GREAT. It, in my opinion, is the predecessor to Metroid Prime.

Anyhow... RE4, yay.
David Ryder 01-01-2006 05:17 AM
As far as RE games go, I still like RE 2 & 4 the best because I like Leon, as I can relate to him however he is often victim to yaoi obsessed fangirls that have way way to much free time. RE outbreak is good to and Kevin is pretty damn cool. As for the survior series, Dead Aim was actually ok, it had pretty good graphic, and easy controls, however Bruces voice was awful, and that accent...geez.
Mike 01-01-2006 09:11 AM
I like RE 4. But I never liked the other games, where if you used too many bullets on a zombie you have to start over cause you're screwed.

RE4 doesn't have many BOO make you jump scares, it's more of a creepy vibe that everything here wants to make you die. Horribly. Kind of like Phazon Mines.

Anyway, I alwaysliked Eternal Darkness better. Ancient intergalactic demons are cooler than viruses and parasites.
Patsai 01-01-2006 11:07 AM
Resident Evil 4 is one of the few gaming experiences I've played that has engaged you in such a detailed world you forget sometimes its a video game (although the PS2 version somehow didn't have that same feeling). Even though the game is somewhat railroaded, it doesn't end up being that way your first, second, and even third time through. Just watching the game at work is a treat, and my friend nearly gawked when he had to fight the first boss.

While the voice acting, lip-syncing, and state-of-the-art choreography was accompanied by a somewhat goofy script (some of the dialogue doesn't really make any sense or they flow somewhat irregularly), Leon is one type of hero I'd like to be some day, a genius at heart with some of the most questionable gymnastic skills ever. Makes Solid Snake seem inferior.

That's why I chose Resident Evil 4. I would choose Resident Evil 2 if Leon wasn't as whiny as he actually was back then.
Sharpshooter005 01-02-2006 03:54 AM
quote:
(some of the dialogue doesn't really make any sense or they flow somewhat irregularly)

The dialogue in RE4 is almost brilliant compared to the first one...ugh..

"HERE ARE SOME ACID GRENADE ROUNDS..THEY'RE GOOD AGAINST LIVING TARGETS"

As opposed to what, furniture? And thats...not the only example of bad dialogue either. In fact it's so horrible as to almost be good in a cheesy sort of way.

Also one perk of the new graphics engine...in the cutscenes, characters seem to no longer just wildly gesticulate. That was HYSTERICAL in the previous three (Code: Veronica wasn't as bad. And again, I've tried very hard to forget survivor), their entire range of movement seemed to consist of waving their arms or seeming to touch their hair (ala the "coffee talk" sketches on SNL)

Honestly. I kept expecting one of the characters to go "THERE ARE ZOMBIES, I'M GETTING VERKLEMPT. TALK AMONGST YOURSELVES, I'LL GIVE YOU A TOPIC."

With 4 specifically, Resident Evil seems less about "horror". It's still good, but if you legitimately want to be scared on more of a psychological level than a "boo" level, go play one of the silent hill games. Those are...yeah, generally depressing and scary on a much deeper level. Zombies aren't all that scary...zombies formed from someones subconcious feelings of guilt, now THATS freaky.
Randolph 01-02-2006 06:28 AM
You know, the original Resident Evil for the PSX
wasn't all that bad. It was clumsy, and yes you were very screwed indeed
if you didn't manage your ammunition-- it's happened to me before--
and the dialogue was cheesy beyond belief, but I was able to
just let that slide and enjoy the game.

The only thing that befuddled me was why on earth there was a live-action
video at the game's start. "Who in Heaven's name are these people", I asked
to no one in particular.

But, all in all, RE4 still seems to beat all.... if only for not being as bad as the rest.
Patsai 01-02-2006 09:02 AM
quote:
The dialogue in RE4 is almost brilliant compared to the first one...ugh..

"HERE ARE SOME ACID GRENADE ROUNDS..THEY'RE GOOD AGAINST LIVING TARGETS"

Sure, but when I said that, I meant some of the dialogue between Krauser and Leon was...well, you know, and the script, although I agree it's better than previous RE games, it's still goofy. Leon's transmission conversations between Saddler and Salazar ARE brilliant.

"Just because you killed my small-time sobordinate."
"Saddler, your small-time."
corrupt 01-02-2006 11:46 PM
quote:

Stop making threads.

And may I make a suggestion, start a military coup in a place where I live, and force me to stop mister dictator...
Sharpshooter005 01-02-2006 11:51 PM
quote:
I meant some of the dialogue between Krauser and Leon was...well, you know

I was too busy trying to mash the x button at the right moment to really pay attention.

Yeah that..I hope that was just a onetime gameplay experiment. It also made me think what it would be like if they tried to adapt that into one of the 20 minute long MGS cutscenes. Now THAT would be irritating.

quote:
start a military coup in a place where I live

If you insist.
Travis Bickle 01-02-2006 11:51 PM
quote:
Originally posted by V.F.D
quote:

Stop making threads.

And may I make a suggestion, start a military coup in a place where I live, and force me to stop mister dictator...

And when I reach my finest hour, you will go through extensive conditioning, which will involve day-long sessions of Mavis Beacon and English 101.
Sharpshooter005 01-03-2006 02:35 AM
quote:
day-long sessions of Mavis Beacon

Screw you mavis beacon. I type only with my index fingers, and the speed and precision with which I do it sometimes baffles people. My computer teacher back in high school couldn't get over how odd and yet effective it was.

The hell with the other eight fingers. I only need two.

edit: Unrelated tangent. Anyone remember mario teaches typing? Thats what started, or at least helped this I think...I kept thinking of it entirely as a game, and thus, only using the very fast index finger system I'd gotten used to. I realize it was supposed to foster "normal" typing but...hell, I just wanted to beat the levels.
X Prime 01-03-2006 02:51 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Sharpshooter005
quote:
day-long sessions of Mavis Beacon

Screw you mavis beacon. I type only with my index fingers, and the speed and precision with which I do it sometimes baffles people. My computer teacher back in high school couldn't get over how odd and yet effective it was.

The hell with the other eight fingers. I only need two.

...That's disturbing. I type the exact same way.

DAMN YOU FOR NOT BEING FEMALE!
Sharpshooter005 01-03-2006 02:53 AM
It solidifies my theory though. The proles type with all ten fingers.

The intelligencia? No we only need two, and we control the banks also. Or...we will anyway.