Deathnote

Mugiwara Luffy 12-29-2005 05:18 PM
Has anyone else read this manga? It's from the same guy who did Hikaru no Go and Viz is putting it out. I've read the first two volumes so far and I must say, I've never been so enthralled by a manga before. Usually I just breeze through them and I might occasionally go "Oh that was good" but I literally couldn't put this one down. I highly recommend it!
Green_Bird 12-29-2005 06:31 PM
Thank God, I'm not the only one here that has read it...I was beginning to think that I was the only one here who did.

Anyway, It's a very good series, if you like manga with a darker theme....then you'll deffenatly like this one. If you're to lazy to look up the plot summary....then here...

quote:
Yagami Raito is a 17-year old kid who's top in his class and in the nation yet has a pretty normal life aside from his incessant studying. One day his eyes fall over a notebook laying on the ground outside of his school. Reading the English cover, "Death Note," and noticing that the writing inside is also in English, Raito decides to take it home to read it. Within the next 5 days, Raito has already killed many just by watching and recording names of criminals from the news. The Death Note enables him to kill anyone whose face and real name is known. To know more about the rules of the notebook read the terms of the Death Note. Picking up the notebook once more, a monstrous creature appears and speaks to Raito, introducing himself as a Shinigami (God of Death) named Ryuuku. Ryuuku tells Raito that only the owner of the Death Note can see him and that he, Raito, is now the owner of it and may use it as he chooses. If Raito does not want to keep the notebook, he may give it to someone else and Ryuuku will erase all related memories from his mind. The notebook bonds both Raito and Ryuuku, but any mental pain will be delivered to Raito alone. He then decides that no matter what it takes, no matter who gets involved, Raito will cleanse the world of evil criminals. Although Raito is doing a pretty good job gathering up bad guys, when he is interrupted by a top detective by the label "L."

(Snagged from deathgod.org, just note that Raito is Light and Ryuuku is Ryuk in the offical Viz translation)

And only the art's done by Takeshi Obata....The story's by Tsugumi Ooba. Just a small corection.
David Ryder 12-29-2005 08:27 PM
yeah, Deathnote is pretty decent. up to to vol. 15 or 16 in japan. I just hope it doesn't drag on and on wtihout keeping things fresh.
Mage 01-02-2006 11:27 PM
I'm currently on the first volume of deathnote, though I know the third volume is out now. The first volume in my opinion lacks in the beginning of the middle but gets way better as you get towards the ending.
Green_Bird 01-06-2006 08:21 PM
Might as well post this here.....

There have been rumors of a live-action Death Note movie happening sometime soon. There hasn't been anything offical stated on it only a few supposidly offical (I.E. a guy claming to be with the indistry) postings on a fan run message board in Japan.

To see the LiveJournal post that I got this information from, click here. Alot of people like the idea.....What do you think on this?
Mugiwara Luffy 01-06-2006 09:04 PM
Now, there's a manga that WOULD make a good live action movie. And it wouldn't look stupid or hokey since the characters are all real people, except the Shinigami. There's enough action, mystery, and suspense to create a good thriller.

I would see it. That is, assuming this is not just a rumor.
Green_Bird 01-15-2006 08:47 PM
The Live Action Death Note has now been confirmed by Shonen Jump (Japan)....

quote:
Originally posted by oceanizer in this LJ post

It's been rumored for a while (first time I heard about this news from trust worthy site is December 25) but I think it is finally confirmed:

Death Note Info from Weekly Shonen Jump issue 8:
- Weekly Shonen Jump issue 8 (1/23) will announce Death Note's live action movie adaptation. There will be two movies: first one on June, second one on October.
- Obata Takeshi Art Book "blank et noir" will be released on May 2. There will be seven extra items such as figure and copied original art. Limited version, DEATH BOX, will be released at same time.

So there you have it folks......Two movies.

EDIT 1/17: Now confirmed at ANN
Green_Bird 01-23-2006 07:51 PM
Sorry for double posting....But the actors who will be playing Light and L have been chosen....

Tatsuya Fujiwara will be playing Light and Kenichi Matsuyama will be playing L. To see pictures of them please reffer to this LJ post....they have also cast Takeshi Kaga as Soichiro Yagami (Light's dad) for some strange reason O_o .....
Mugiwara Luffy 01-23-2006 07:58 PM
I just read Volume 3; amazing, as always. L really has Light trapped, and now there's another Kira?! This just keeps getting better.

I think maybe I can identify with Light a lot. Plus this seems to be a very intellectual manga with two geniuses engaged in a brilliant web of logic and counter-logic. I just can't put it down....
Green_Bird 02-04-2006 01:25 AM
Another movie update....The WB Japan's website's up....even if it's just a splash page right now.... And yes, I did say Warner Bros. is behind it. So there is a posability that the movies might hit state side.....But theatrical or remake is still yet to be desided if anything.....
Schwarzwald_X 02-04-2006 05:03 PM
I've read the first two volumes- I have to say...
this manga is amazing. I've never been a big manga fan.... but a friend let me borrow the first 2 volumes. This one has me in its web- I read them both in nearly one sitting. It does start off sort of slow... but man, oh man.... I NEED TO GET AHOLD OF VOLUME 3!!!!!!
Green_Bird 03-01-2006 08:12 PM
The movie makes history, First ever movie to shut down a whole subway line during busness hours in Japan!

quote:
Major Subway Line Reserved for Death Note Movie
A first for Japan

Tatsuya Fujiwara, the lead of the live-action film adaptation of the popular manga “Death Note”, will appear in a big scene for which they have reserved an entire subway line. While there have been plenty of subway film locations in other countries, this will be the first time that a major subway line in Japan will be reserved during business hours.

The scene that was filmed was one in which Light, the genius college student, who by using “death notes” to kill evil people is trying to make an ideal world, buries the FBI agent (Shigeki Hosokawa) who is tailing him. In four round trips from Meinohama Station to Fukuoka Airport Station (13 stations apart - about 25 minutes of travel) they shot 53 cuts. With a strange sense of nervousness, Fujiwara said that he could understand how Light feels, and went on to give a vivid portrayal of the character.

With the announcement of the role of Light’s rival L being played by Kenichi Matsuyama, Fujiwara said that he’d “like to wage a great psychological war” with him. Other members of the cast that have been announced include Asaka Seto and Erika Toda.

Just thought I'd post this...I found it off of livejournal....
Ano Hito 03-02-2006 07:49 PM
I have a policy to never pick up a manga until I know how long it's going to be. I've been screwed over before...
Green_Bird 07-08-2006 06:46 PM
Manga = Ended.
Movie one = Done
Movie two = in production (Stoping way before Near and Mello come into the picture.)
Game = Under way
Novel = Under way

Now on to the point of this post. For those who don't know, it will also be turned into an anime. The voice cast that was out was fake, however there have been alot of scans out lately...
Chitter-Box-Kat 07-08-2006 07:30 PM
Saw the manga.
Picked up the manga.
Read the manga.
Bought the manga up to...Vol 5.
LOVE THE STORY AND L!
Seen the trailer/teaser thing for the movie.
MUST. SEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE. Drooling
L is L.
Light is Light.
In a press conference thingy, the whole cast showed up and an apple was put in a chiar for Ryuuk. Big Grin
Nine Kuze 08-22-2006 05:09 PM
*Brush the dirt of this thread's shoulders off*

I bringing this back because I recently read the first volume of Deathnote and I'm in the middle of the second volume and I have to say;

This manga kicks ass, hands down. Its intruging and very well written and the cat and mouse game between L and Light is somethin' so interesting. It also has a touch of The Third Man as well, so that appealed to me as well.

And that's also cool that its been turned into an anime and a live-movie as well.

quote:
I think...it should be the other way around o.o

Although I just saw the actors that are to play Light and L respectfully, I have to agree that I think they should switch it around. Physically, they look like the characters, they just have each others parts.
Peace.
Scourge 08-26-2006 12:23 PM
I used to read Deathnote for awhile until I found out a certain someone dies (damn you intronetz!) and I imediatly lost all interest in the book. I still might watch the movie though.
Green_Bird 08-30-2006 10:29 PM
The VAs for Light and L have now been announced! This time they are real and have been approved by SJ:

Light will be played by Mamoru Miyano who is well known for playing Tamaki from Ouran High school host club, Riku in KH, and Kiba From Wolf's Rain.

L will be played by Kappei Yamaguchi who played Inuyasha from Inuyasha, Usopp from One Piece, Ryuichi from Gravitation, and Ranma from Ranma 1/2.
Nine Kuze 09-05-2006 02:09 PM
I just read Volume 7 of Death Note... and it was amazing.

Stop! It's spoiler time:
spoiler (highlight to read):
I was really hoping to get to find out what L's real name was before Rem killed him off. But I guess it doesn't matter in the end. Also, I didn't know that Near and Mellow were boys. Until they actually said so, I was going on the assumption that they were girls. Its work physically I guess. And damn, Mellow's crew kidnapped Light's sister at the end, making for a nice cliffhanger.

I can't wait for the next voulme. Also, thanks for the info on the anime, G_B.
Peace.
Green_Bird 09-05-2006 04:12 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Nine XXVI
I just read Volume 7 of Death Note... and it was amazing.

Stop! It's spoiler time:
I was really hoping to get to find out what L's real name was before Rem killed him off. But I guess it doesn't matter in the end. Also, I didn't know that Near and Mellow were boys. Until they actually said so, I was going on the assumption that they were girls. Its work physically I guess. And damn, Mellow's crew kidnapped Light's sister at the end, making for a nice cliffhanger.

I can't wait for the next voulme. Also, thanks for the info on the anime, G_B.
Peace.

If people would get off their butts and translate the how to read 13 if they haven't alredy, then L's real name will be known to all. I remember before I spoiled myself on the 7th volume after only reading up to 2, I thought Near and Mello were female when I first saw them...and then I saw fanart and learned Mello's real name and then I relized they wern't ._. ...