Deathnote

Nine Kuze 11-12-2006 02:53 AM
Read the latest volume this weekend:

Some real complicated stuff going on up here. In a very, very complicated scheme, Light got his sister back but had to give up the Death Note in order to save her and his father's life. During the time, he went to such extremes as thinking of ways to keep the notebook if that meant killing his own father and sister.

spoiler (highlight to read):
There's a three way cat and mouse game going on with Light, Mello, and Near. Light and Near are working with each other and behind each others backs to get Mello and Mello had pretty much blackmailed the President of the United States to do what he wants. Then in return, Light secretly has the President do what he wants and he tries to capture Mello in LA but failed when another Shinigami that Ryuk didn't tell Light about becomes Mello's pawn in trying to get his own Death Note back.

And in the next volume, Near and Mello are getting closer and closer to finding out the truth about Light's secret identity, all three of them.

So yeah, a lot of twists and turns as usual.
Peace.
Scourge 11-12-2006 10:45 AM
Isn't that story over? I coulda sworn it was over, or are you talking about Tokyopop's copies?
Nine Kuze 11-13-2006 10:35 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Scourge
Isn't that story over? I coulda sworn it was over, or are you talking about Tokyopop's copies?

No, it's still going on. I don't know how many volumes there are but the latest one is eight.

Also, I didn't know that Toykopop had copies of it as well.
Peace.
Scourge 11-13-2006 03:40 PM
Hmm I thought it was over for some reason and yes, TP has the license for the manga here in the states.
Nine Kuze 01-14-2007 04:58 PM
I read the latest volume, the ninth one, recently and here's what went down.

Light had the Japanese taskforce raid Mello's hideout, but before hand, Light's father took possession of the Death Note and also made a deal with Ryuk for the Shingami eyes. At the raid, Light's father cornered Mello and found out his real name (and in ironic fashion, I can't remember it at the moment) and threatened to kill him with Death Note. But one of Mello's men was still alive and killed Light's father from behind. Mello destroyed the hideout and escaped.
The United States declared that they were no longer going to pursue Kira, setting up a chain of events where other countries soon followed suit and the SPK is also disbanded with Light keeping tabs on them. Near thought out that Mello would contact one of the members and he does so, he meets up with the female of the group and Near and Mello meet and exchange information that doesn't go to kindly for Light. Mello then calls up one of Light's men and makes him go to the HQ of the SPK and there Near questions him about the Japanese taskforce since he suspects that Kira is one of them.
Light figures out that Near and Mello are somewhat working together and uses his pull as Kira in Japan to stage a riot against the SPK and have them killed, since Light is trying everything in his power to kill both Near and Mello. In the next volume, Light gives up the Death Note yet again to someone who is one of the thousands in favor with Kira.

I know the anime is out now (I saw an episode a while back) and I was just wondering how its going so far and if its any good.
Peace.
Green_Bird 01-14-2007 09:59 PM
From what I've been hearing it's good. I really only watched one episode as well. But they do say that it's staying very close to the anime...

Not to mention Viz is trying to sub them as they come out in Japan and release the DVDs later....you can say they're officially fan subbing them in a sense...
seraphjei 05-05-2007 03:09 AM
I have never desired anime paraphernalia in my life, but after seeing this show I am determined to buy a death note of my own.

The show itself is smart and well thought out. Twists here, there, and everywhere. Although the anime seems to be a bit lackluster with the introduction of Near and Mello. Meh, the show is over for me since you-know-who is dead. Damn shame.
Nine Kuze 05-20-2007 01:40 AM
quote:
Originally posted by seraphjei
Although the anime seems to be a bit lackluster with the introduction of Near and Mello. Meh, the show is over for me since you-know-who is dead. Damn shame.

Manga does that as well when ol' boy gets killed, but it picks up after a while as Light is having just as much trouble with Near and Mello has he was with L. Is the anime series finished already? That's... kind of what its sounding like anyway.

Also, the 11th volume came out recently:
Light and Near have agreed to finally meet each other face to face in Japan. Both have their respective plans against the other and as Light is looking to kill Near, Near is looking to gloat in Light's face that he has foiled him with solid evidence against him.

Some members of the Japanese Task Force are thinking that Light is Kira and are watching him for Near in a way... Light's new right hand man, the lawyer (his name escapes me) is being tracked by Near's people and they know for a fact now that he is the "Fake Kira" in a sense... Misa and Takeda are kind of in a romantic struggle against each other for Light and at the end, Mello kidnapped Takeda under a fake terrorist attack.

So yeah, it looks like things are nearing the end in the Death Note series as Light and Near get ready to meet face to face.
Peace.
Scourge 05-20-2007 11:55 AM
Umm the manga has been over for a while now Nine, if that's what you're talking about when you say DN is almost over. It is over, I read the last chapter for old times sake.
Nine Kuze 05-21-2007 12:47 AM
Um, that's interesting.

Around here, that last one was rather new and that came out like last month. A little behind but yeah. I spoiled myself of the end a long time ago but I like keeping up with the manga nonetheless anyway.
Peace.
seraphjei 06-24-2007 05:33 AM
The last episode of Death Note is to be broadcast in Japan on Tuesday as usual. For those who have already finished the manga don't expect any surprises, it ends the same way.

Now on to a more disturbing note. Has anyone heard the Death Note english dub yet? Dear God have mercy on our souls...
Official Dub
It could be worse...but it could be MUCH better.

Hang on to your seats folks, its gonna be a harsh ride.
Nine Kuze 06-25-2007 12:26 AM
quote:
Now on to a more disturbing note. Has anyone heard the Death Note english dub yet? Dear God have mercy on our souls...
Official Dub

Holy sh**... that's Light's voice for the English dub?

No. Just... no. Instead of clever, egotistial Japanese version of Hannibal Lecter, he sounds like a plucky punk from a PG movie. I wanted dark dammit, not emo. Not what I was expecting at all. I still need to watch this anime, let alone finish the final volume of the manga as well. But still, that's bad.
Peace.
Shady Dark Lady 06-28-2007 07:18 PM
I'm still reading the manga as well..as for voice actors, I wish that if the Japanese voice actor has a deep voice, they would get a deep voiced actor to do the dubs as well...there is NOTHING worse than when they use a wrong voice to do a dub! I guess since emos are the "in" thing, they wanted an emo..
evanASF27 06-28-2007 07:43 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Nine XXVI
quote:
Official Dub

Holy sh**... that's Light's voice for the English dub?

No. Just... no. Instead of clever, egotistial Japanese version of Hannibal Lecter, he sounds like a plucky punk from a PG movie. I wanted dark dammit, not emo. Not what I was expecting at all. I still need to watch this anime, let alone finish the final volume of the manga as well. But still, that's bad.
Peace.

You think Light's voice was bad? ...dude... listen to L's again. Complete opposite of what was in the Japanese. Not frail/creepy/calm... instead they got a tough guy voice put onto him. Neutral

(And no, I'm not talkin bout the voice-modulation Tongue towards the end of the trailer he speaks with no modulation.)

Could definately have been worse... but also a ton better.
Nine Kuze 06-29-2007 12:53 AM
I didn't hear L's voice on that link that was put up in seraphjei's post. I just heard Light's, and that doesn't match his persona in my opinion at all.

For the record, I haven't seen the episodes of the Death Note anime. And if what you are saying is true about the VA of L, that's quite concerning.
Peace.
R. Daniel Olk 01 07-08-2007 05:51 PM
Who else has seen all of the animé version? I want to discuss the impression left by episode 37 (last episode).

It's been about two weeks since the series ended, but I have to keep talking bout it.

37 gives me a feeling of overwhelming loneliness. A friend of mine, who'd already read the manga, spoiled it for me weeks in advance; all the same, it unfolded to hit me really hard. I'd even go so far as to say it's momentarily crushing. What'd you feel?