Deathnote

Nine Kuze 09-05-2006 05:18 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Green_Bird
quote:
Originally posted by Nine XXVI
I just read Volume 7 of Death Note... and it was amazing.

Stop! It's spoiler time:
spoiler (highlight to read):
I was really hoping to get to find out what L's real name was before Rem killed him off. But I guess it doesn't matter in the end. Also, I didn't know that Near and Mellow were boys. Until they actually said so, I was going on the assumption that they were girls. Its work physically I guess. And damn, Mellow's crew kidnapped Light's sister at the end, making for a nice cliffhanger.

I can't wait for the next voulme. Also, thanks for the info on the anime, G_B.
Peace.

If people would get off their butts and translate the how to read 13 if they haven't alredy, then L's real name will be known to all. I remember before I spoiled myself on the 7th volume after only reading up to 2, I thought Near and Mello were female when I first saw them...and then I saw fanart and learned Mello's real name and then I relized they wern't ._. ...

There are 13 volumes?

See, the funny thing is (not really, since I spoil myself in everything when it comes to things like this) that I already found out how Deathnote ends. So hearing that there are like six more volumes to go kills me because I can even wait for the next volume let alone five more after that.
Peace.
Travis Bickle 09-05-2006 05:25 PM
I read the first two and I hated them. I know the rest of the story, too, and it's complete crap. Worst. Concept. Ever.
Nine Kuze 09-05-2006 05:37 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Travis Bickle
I read the first two and I hated them. I know the rest of the story, too, and it's complete crap. Worst. Concept. Ever.

WELL. I know what you're not voting for Best Manga.
Peace.
Green_Bird 09-05-2006 06:38 PM
quote:
There are 13 volumes?

See, the funny thing is (not really, since I spoil myself in everything when it comes to things like this) that I already found out how Deathnote ends. So hearing that there are like six more volumes to go kills me because I can even wait for the next volume let alone five more after that.
Peace.

No...there's only 12 of the manga. There are 13 How To Read volumes though. Which are sort of like little guide books.
Nine Kuze 09-08-2006 03:53 PM
If G_B's around, I found this other thread she made about the Deathnote movie with numerous links about the film.

Thanks Green_Bird.
Peace.
Asirt 09-13-2006 12:55 PM
Here's something rather interesting:

quote:
9-12-06 (11:45PM EDT)---- The Death Note Curse?
Following last week's arrest of Death Note manga writer Takashi Obata and death by stroke of live action film cinematographer Hiroshi Takase there has been some uneasiness among others working on various adaptaions which makes death a central theme. Nippon Television Network announced this past weekend they will continue with the broadcast start of the anime on October 3rd. TV series producer Toshio Nakatani is also shocked at this situation of untimely death following scandal. It's been revealed by Kabuki actor Shidou Nakamura who is voicing the character Ryuuku that just prior to voice work starting he recently joined 50+ staff members of the TV animation team in a purification ritual at a Shinto shrine in Tokyo. NTV won the broadcasting rights for Death note following a fierce competition between 30+ companies.

[Provided by ANS]

I hope to see the animated series when it comes out this October; looks interesting.
Nine Kuze 09-13-2006 01:08 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Asirt
Here's something rather interesting:

quote:
9-12-06 (11:45PM EDT)---- The Death Note Curse?
Following last week's arrest of Death Note manga writer Takashi Obata and death by stroke of live action film cinematographer Hiroshi Takase there has been some uneasiness among others working on various adaptaions which makes death a central theme. Nippon Television Network announced this past weekend they will continue with the broadcast start of the anime on October 3rd. TV series producer Toshio Nakatani is also shocked at this situation of untimely death following scandal. It's been revealed by Kabuki actor Shidou Nakamura who is voicing the character Ryuuku that just prior to voice work starting he recently joined 50+ staff members of the TV animation team in a purification ritual at a Shinto shrine in Tokyo. NTV won the broadcasting rights for Death note following a fierce competition between 30+ companies.

[Provided by ANS]

I hope to see the animated series when it comes out this October; looks interesting.

God damn... The Death Note's real, y'all!

Nah, but that is some interesting news there Asirt. Good to see them continue with everything but I wonder what dude (Obata) got arrested for. Also, that "purification ritual" sounds a like a bit too much but with the stuff going on the set, I guess one strange event deserves another.
Peace.
Asirt 09-13-2006 01:11 PM
quote:
God damn... The Death Note's real, y'all!

Nah, but that is some interesting news there Asirt. Good to see them continue with everything but I wonder what dude (Obata) got arrested for.

Since you asked:

quote:
9-7-06 (1:05AM EDT)---- Death Note Manga Writer Takeshi Obata Arrested
According to Fuji Television Network News, Death Note manga artist and co-creator Takeshi Obata has been arrested on the morning of Thursday, September 7th in Japan for violation of the Gun and Sword Control Law. Tokyo Metropolitan Police Shakujii Station officers pulled over his car in Tokyo's Nerima Ward Oizumimachi at 0:45AM after seeing a head light that was out. Officers questioned the author about the light issue and found him to be in posession an folding type army knife with a blade of 8.6 cm in length. The knife was located in the car's internal console box. When asked about the knife Obata reportedly replied that it was for camping. According to the law one may not be in posession of cutlery with a blade in excess of 6cm in length unless they have legitimate reason. Breach of the law can be punished by a 30,000 Yen fine and/or imprisonment of up to 1 year. Obata hails from Niigata Prefecture and is of course known for the smash hit Death Note comic he created with writer Tsugumi Ooba. The work was serialized in Shuesiha's "Weekly Shonen Jump". His "Hikaru No Go" manga won the Osamu Tezuka cultural newborn prize in 2003.

quote:
Also, that "purification ritual" sounds a like a bit too much but with the stuff going on the set, I guess one strange event deserves another.

Agreed.

-------------

Images of said broadcast:

Chitter-Box-Kat 09-13-2006 04:24 PM
Death Note anime. OvvO I can't wait. ^u^
Nine Kuze 10-04-2006 07:57 PM
Speaking of the anime, I found some links (via YouTube) that have a little somethin'-somethin' on the Deathnote anime.

You can check out the first episode in broken up parts here:

- Deathnote Part #1
- Deathnote Part #2
- Deathnote Part #3

Although, there are no subtitles and its in straight up Japanese. But I'm sure you won't let something like that stop you.
Peace.
Chitter-Box-Kat 10-04-2006 09:00 PM
ARIGATOU GOZAIMASU!! Anime Smile

KYYYYAAA! XD I just LOVE Ryuuk! And L. And Light. THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU!! Big Grin
Nine Kuze 10-04-2006 11:22 PM
Um... you're welcome.

As far as the anime goes, the editing and the sound are top notch and the animation is damn good as well.

Also, I found the live action version as well that Green_Bird was talking about as well.

- Deathnote Live Action, Part 1
- Deathnote Live Action, Part 2
- Deathnote Live Action, Part 3
- Deathnote Live Action, Part 4
- Deathnote Live Action, Part 5
- Deathnote Live Action, Part 6

This is the first half of the movie and it ends around the part where Light stages the bus hijacking and kills that cop tailing him, if you're keeping up with the anime that is.

Peace.
Chitter-Box-Kat 10-05-2006 05:13 AM
6:12 am... DAMNITALL! I'll watch it when I get home from school. Up until the bus... Okay. I'll still watch it.
Green_Bird 10-11-2006 02:35 AM
L's real name is out and it's...

L. Lawliet

And the true reason why Misa wasn't in the last chapter:

Q.Why wasn't misa in the last part?
A.Under the circumstances I didn't want to draw her
She loved raito, and if people who use the note end up with unhappiness then after raito died it somehow got leaked to her
and then she fell into despair and committed suicide...

A bunch of info on the ages of Mello, Near, and Matt and Matt's (posably) real name. Spoilers if you don't know who they are...

MELLO
1989/12/13
Blood Type: A
Height: 171cm
Weight: 52k
Hates: Whoever is better than him

NEAR
1991/8/24
Blood Type: B
Height: 155cm
Weight: 40k
Hates: Kira

MATT
Real name: Mail=Jeevas (Mile [Jeeves/Jesus]? the name was writen as Mail at 2ch, but maybe they just made it [up...])
1990/02/01
Blood Type: 0
Height: ? (didn't find it yet, only that he is shorter than Mello)
Weight: ? (same)
Dislikes: going out (??? Really?!)

MMN info posted by kurosaki_akane of Livejournal. Other information gotten from members of the DN community on LJ.
Chitter-Box-Kat 10-12-2006 05:36 AM
So what does the "L" stand for? Confused The last name is pretty.
Green_Bird 10-13-2006 04:16 AM
He was eather named after the letter L or L actually does stand for something and we still don't know his real firstname. No one has been able to figure that much out. I mean the card didn't have a period after the L so who really knows....
Asirt 11-05-2006 09:34 PM
You knew it was going to happen eventually...

quote:
11-5-06 (5:34PM EDT)---- Death Note Anime Licensed For America
ANS has learned the Death Note TV animation has been officially licensed for release in the North American market in 2007. We'll leave the actual licensee to properly announce themselves at their preferred time and in their preferred manner. A few things have to come together before that can happen though. Look for some official word in the form of simultaneous / coordinated press releases anywhere from weeks at earliest to months at latest.

[From Anime News Service]
Chitter-Box-Kat 11-05-2006 09:48 PM
O_o o_O Realy? No sh*t? NO LIE? O_O o_o

BAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNZZZAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIII!!!!!!! Big Grin Shocked

I can't wait.
Shredder 11-05-2006 10:00 PM
How reliable is that site? I haven't seen the news posted anywhere else.
Asirt 11-05-2006 10:12 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Shredder
How reliable is that site? I haven't seen the news posted anywhere else.

They are about as reliable as Anime News Network. I'm not surprised that the news hasn't been posted elsewhere, probably because people are waiting for a more "official" announcement from the company in question. They were also the first people to report about the new Evangelion movies before ANN did. But of course, as with all internet sources (even ANN), the information should be taken with a grain of salt, as they can make mistakes.

It seems though that they've been trying to "one up" ANN lately. They've just announced that The Melocholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is up for grabs in the US, so I'd be careful at this point. Not saying the news is false, but it seems odd that they're announced two of the most popular series around the same time.

By the way, I'm betting the company is either Viz Media or FUNimation.