Catch-22

The Ghost of Ember 12-24-2005 09:55 PM
My search for a topic about this book came up dry, which is blasphemy of the highest form I say! Blasphemy!

Catch-22 is a hilariously twisted book, with memorable characters such and witty dialogue. It remains funny while maintaining a depth that is not often seen in comedy. It does get pretty preachy near the end, but it's forgivable.

Am I alone in enjoying this classic?
Zopwx2 12-24-2005 10:15 PM
One of my favorite books of course. Yossarian is an american hero in my book.
Travis Bickle 12-24-2005 10:37 PM
One of the best books ever written. I've read it somewhere around 10 times within the past 8 years.
Sharpshooter005 12-25-2005 02:17 AM
Milo Minderbinder is truly a role model for the youth.
Hobodoken 12-25-2005 10:05 AM
One of the only books I've been assigned to read I actually liked (and therefore, actually read)
Dude Love 12-25-2005 09:38 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Sharpshooter005
Milo Minderbinder is truly a role model for the youth.

Agreed, and would you like some eggs, Sharpshooter?
aeternus_flammus 01-02-2006 03:19 AM
Everything in the book travels in circles --- whether it is the individual tales, the dialogue, or even the development of the characters. This reflect the logic (or rather fallicious logic) of a Catch-22.
Sharpshooter005 01-06-2006 12:52 PM
Anybody ever read "Closing Time"? Apparently it's a sequel to catch-22. I've never heard if its any good or not though.
The Ghost of Ember 01-06-2006 02:27 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Sharpshooter005
Anybody ever read "Closing Time"? Apparently it's a sequel to catch-22. I've never heard if its any good or not though.

I started it a couple of times. I daresay it was trying to be too similar; in fact, many of the 'new' characters seemed to be merely stand-ins for ones who had died in the original. In any case, I really couldn't get into it. You might want to try it out to see if you can enjoy it, though it's pretty hard to find.

quote:

Originally posted by aeternus_flammus

Everything in the book travels in circles --- whether it is the individual tales, the dialogue, or even the development of the characters. This reflect the logic (or rather fallicious logic) of a Catch-22.

An excellent point, one that had honestly never occurred to me before, however on re-examination of the story I found that you might be correct. Nifty.