Surviving Christmas

NightRanger 12-24-2005 12:05 AM
This movie is sooooo funny! Okay, Ben Affleck is NOT one of my favorite actors, but he was so funny in this movie! He plays this filthy rich guy who gets dumped by his girlfriend, and a doctor (Stephen Root) tells him to right down a list of his grievances, go someplace that reminds him of his childhood, burn the paper up and whisper the words "I forgive you". So he does that, but before the paper can finish burning up, James Gandolfini whacks him in the back of the head with a shovel, then when he wakes up, he decides he wants to see a tour of the house, so they give him a tour, and then he wants to stay there for the holidays, and they won't let him........UNTIL he offers the family $250,000! So they let him stay, then laughs from there!!!!
Sharpshooter005 12-24-2005 12:38 AM
Part of me wants to rent this because James Gandolfini is in it, and..when you're an avid sopranos fan as I am, it becomes easy to assume he can somehow elvate a project by association.

It's a very slim part of me though. The reviews were terrible, furthermore...when a christmas movie is released in november (and...wasn't it also shelved for a while?) it usually dosen't end well. I mean I haven't done a survey about the statistical quality of christmas movies released during the month of november, it just seems like a safe bet.
Dude Love 12-24-2005 12:40 AM
That's sounds like the ****tiest plot of a movie ever.

Well, I take that back. The plot for Cheaper by the Dozen 2 looks worse (and by that I mean that, too all appearances in the previews, it looks like it lacks anything remotely resembling a plot).

Unless the movie is the next Holy Grail or [insert whatever is the best comedy ever], a coherent, slightly plausible, enjoyable plot is necessary.

quote:
Originally posted by Sharpshooter005
Part of me wants to rent this because James Gandolfini is in it, and..when you're an avid sopranos fan as I am, it becomes easy to assume he can somehow elvate a project by association.

It's a very slim part of me though. The reviews were terrible, furthermore...when a christmas movie is released in november (and...wasn't it also shelved for a while?) it usually dosen't end well. I mean I haven't done a survey about the statistical quality of christmas movies released during the month of november, it just seems like a safe bet.


Agreed on the first part, but a lot of Christmas movies come out in December, right around Thanksgiving.

However, that doesn't matter because, apparently, this movie came out on the 22nd of October.
Travis Bickle 12-24-2005 01:30 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Dude Love
That's sounds like the ****tiest plot of a movie ever.


Not as bad as SNAKES ON A PLANE!

Wel, maybe. But yeah, sounds retarded.
Mike 12-24-2005 01:34 AM
I remember this moving blowing through theaters in about a week.

When will people learn that Benaffleck has an inverse Midas Touch? Frown
088nd 12-24-2005 01:03 PM
quote:
Originally posted by NightRanger
This movie is sooooo funny! Okay, Ben Affleck is NOT one of my favorite actors, but he was so funny in this movie! He plays this filthy rich guy who gets dumped by his girlfriend, and a doctor (Stephen Root) tells him to right down a list of his grievances, go someplace that reminds him of his childhood, burn the paper up and whisper the words "I forgive you". So he does that, but before the paper can finish burning up, James Gandolfini whacks him in the back of the head with a shovel, then when he wakes up, he decides he wants to see a tour of the house, so they give him a tour, and then he wants to stay there for the holidays, and they won't let him........UNTIL he offers the family $250,000! So they let him stay, then laughs from there!!!!


That makes absolutely no sense at all to me.
Sharpshooter005 12-24-2005 02:07 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Gonzo
SNAKES ON A PLANE!


Will be the Citizen Kane of our lifetimes and you all know it.

quote:
However, that doesn't matter because, apparently, this movie came out on the 22nd of October.


Oh right. I knew I'd remembered it being released at some weird point in the year considering its subject matter.
Randolph 12-24-2005 02:52 PM
I'll stick with the Charlie Brown Christmas Special, thanks.
The OLD one.

Movies these days... *scoffs*