Munich

088nd 12-23-2005 09:35 PM
Just saw this movie. Really good, but really long too. I'm not going to explain what it's about, because if you want to know look it up for yourself ffs. It is really depressing and kind of takes away any hope you have for the middle eastern situation.
David Ryder 12-23-2005 09:39 PM
I plan on seeing this movie as it looks very very good. Hope to go sometime next week.
NVWC2006 12-23-2005 09:50 PM
I will probably be seeing it. I don't know if I will when it's in theaters now, but if I don't now, I know I'll rent the DVD when it comes out.

I look at it much differently, seeing as my whole family comes from Israel. To have heard about how people at the Olympics were massacerd (sp?) is horrible, to connect with these people on the feel of nationality makes it worse, and to know that it happened because of the stupidity of the world doesn't help either.

But it's something that should be seen. The only criticism I've heard regarding the actuality of the movie is something about conversations between the hostages and their capturers, but everything is supposed to be very accurate to the history.

Sad, but something that should be seen.
Travis Bickle 12-24-2005 01:39 AM
I think it's a dumb idea for a movie. Spielberg is using tragic events from the past to convey certain images in our minds. For example, it goes without saying that the 9/11 imagery in War of the Worlds ran rampant throughout the entire movie ("LOLZ DADDY ARE THOZE THA TERRORISTS!?!"). And with Munich, it seems that he's trying to do the same thing, but this time make us feel bad for the Jews (yes, I said Jews).

Also, it holds a record time for the shortest pre and post production in recent years, so I hear the cinematography and everything is sh**. I will, however, have to see for it all myself tomorrow night after I find a good chinese take out place to eat from.
088nd 12-24-2005 01:01 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Gonzo
I think it's a dumb idea for a movie. Spielberg is using tragic events from the past to convey certain images in our minds. For example, it goes without saying that the 9/11 imagery in War of the Worlds ran rampant throughout the entire movie ("LOLZ DADDY ARE THOZE THA TERRORISTS!?!"). And with Munich, it seems that he's trying to do the same thing, but this time make us feel bad for the Jews (yes, I said Jews).

Also, it holds a record time for the shortest pre and post production in recent years, so I hear the cinematography and everything is sh**. I will, however, have to see for it all myself tomorrow night after I find a good chinese take out place to eat from.

Except that's wrong. If you watch the movie, it doesn't try to make you feel bad for either side, it only tries to show you that it's a perpetual cycle of violence in the middle east. The cinematography is definitely not sh**.
Travis Bickle 12-24-2005 05:38 PM
quote:
Originally posted by 088nd-DEpTH
quote:

Except that's wrong. If you watch the movie, it doesn't try to make you feel bad for either side, it only tries to show you that it's a perpetual cycle of violence in the middle east. The cinematography is definitely not sh**.

Well, I just saw Syriana to get my fix on that. Everything after that is kinda overkill. No thanks.
Sharpshooter005 12-24-2005 06:37 PM
quote:
but this time make us feel bad for the Jews

I'm still waiting for one good reason I should concern myself with the plight of the Palestinians. If I shouldn't support Israel, then why exactly should I support their opposition. Why not just support neither party?

Nobodys...ever fully explained this to me.

quote:
I just saw Syriana to get my fix on that.

How was that, I keep meaning to go see it.

quote:
everything is supposed to be very accurate to the history.

It's based on a book written by a journalist based off an interview with a self-proclaimed Mossad agent. The book isn't universally regarded as fully accurate. In fact it's been claimed the guy interviewed was never even a Mossad agent.

The former head of the Israeli Shin Bet/Shabak/GSS (the internal security service) also apparently has said things don't work the way they're depicted to in the movie. And even Spielberg has said it's not dead on historically accurate. It's more a drama about the operatives having second thoughts.

It still looks like it could be good.
Travis Bickle 12-24-2005 06:47 PM
Well, then. I shall be going to see it in about 20 minutes. I'll give you my take on it after I get back.
Travis Bickle 12-24-2005 10:26 PM
OK.

Yes, it was a damn good movie. Yes, its only purpose was to make us feel bad about the Israeli-Palestinian situation. Yes, before the movie it says "inspired by true events". Yes, it was too damn long.

spoiler (highlight to read):

The entire scene with him screwing his wife, while at the same time having flashbacks about the Jews getting killed in the helicopter. I mean seriously, dude. WTF!? Totally not cool.

Also, just randomly. This reminds me of the time when a friend of my grandfather's, Leopold Pfefferberg (Google/IMDB it) gave us an autographed paperback copy of Schindler's List (which the better sentimental Speilberg-Jew movie was based on) for Hanukkah.

Big Money 12-26-2005 09:01 PM
quote:
spoiler (highlight to read):

The entire scene with him screwing his wife, while at the same time having flashbacks about the Jews getting killed in the helicopter. I mean seriously, dude. WTF!? Totally not cool.

My thoughts precisely.

Otherwise, it was a pretty good film. I did find it rather hard to identify with the assasins... I mean, everybody in the movie was a bad guy, even the good guys.

That may have been Speilberg's intent...
Raphaela 12-27-2005 11:34 PM
I have not seen Munich yet, so I can't say if it's "historically accurate" or not, but with movies like it, I believe that reading up on the event is always a good idea. Second sources such as other documentaries, books, news articles, etc, are lovely. Some sources I would suggest if you were to read up on the 1972 Olympics are;
  • One Day In September, by Simon Reeve (deals with the 1972 Olympic massacre and the Israeli counterattack Operation Wrath of God)
  • Murder at the 1972 Olympics in Munich (Library binding)
  • http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1972_Summer_Olympics (Wikipedia article on the 1972 Olympics)

These are just a few sources that you can use to read up more on the Munich massacre. There are many more out there. Happy Second sources rock.

--Raphaela
David Ryder 01-08-2006 06:00 PM
Just got back. Excellent movie.
Nine Kuze 06-19-2006 12:39 PM
I watched the movie yesterday, and I really liked it. Well made movie and for Spielberg, it completely makes up for War of the Worlds that he made before this film.

quote:
Originally posted by Cerpin Taxt

Um, I don't agree that it was a bad idea for a movie but I'm down with everything else that Cerpin said. Hell, in an interview, Spielberg said that he kind of uses 9/11 as some sort of a catalyst for his movies. He said that if 9/11 didn't happen, he wouldn't have done a remake to War of the Worlds so I agree with what CT said in that respect. And yeah, in the film there were, especially in the beginning, trying to make the viewer feel very sorry for the Jews. And I guess you can, depending on how you look at the certain situation but also, they tried to get the Muslims view as well. It wasn't done nearly as well as the other front but it was done nonetheless.

quote:
Originally posted by Big Money
I did find it rather hard to identify with the assasins... I mean, everybody in the movie was a bad guy, even the good guys.

Um, usually in movies, I don't care or even try to "relate" to any of the characters I see but I can really see why you'd think that.

quote:
Originally posted by Cerpin Taxt
Also, it holds a record time for the shortest pre and post production in recent years, so I hear the cinematography and everything is sh**.

Yeah, I agree with the point of the production time. I think if Munich came out sooner (like maybe late October or November), it would have gotten Best Picture. But it tried to play the Godfather card and that didn't work. Oh and also, the cinematography was definetly not s***.
Peace.