Gundam X in the corporate doghouse? Why?

Paradigm Dog 12-18-2005 02:10 AM
I know the views are varied, but I think it's sad that Gundam X hasn't been released in the US with a dub yet. We got Gundam Wing and G Gundam so it made total sense to release Gundam X, which is in the same AU spirit as those two. Yet, no go. I asked a Bandai rep about it on 10/4/05 and got this bleak response:

"Currently we have no plans on releasing Gundam X. I have no idea when it will be released, if ever."

Just out of curiosity, vote on what you think is the biggest holdup on this series... (2 votes are possible)

If it's because it failed in Japan that's dumb, because anime like TRIGUN, BIG-O, and Ghost in the Shell didn't do well in Japan at first and did great overseas. Given the huge success of Gundam Wing and the decent success of G-Gundam, I feel Gundam X could really have brought Gundam to more mainstream popularity again like back in 2000.
David Ryder 12-18-2005 02:45 AM
Indeed, I would very much like to see Gundam X released over here. I've already seen it but would snatch it up again. As for while it didn't do so hot....well when it first came on it did pretty well but mid series the rating died fast for some unknown reason. And I actually though X would have come over here before G did honestly. Perhaps in the future we will see it.
Wingnut 12-18-2005 09:11 AM
Blame it on the Cosmic Era. That and Bandai's marketing Stratagy for Gundam as a result of the Cosmic Era. If SEED had never been created it is possible that we would have had X over here by now, or at least plans to bring it over. The 39 episodes are a bit of a oddity, but not enough of one to prevent dubbing IMO.
Mr. Fortnight 12-18-2005 01:41 PM
I think the pre-seed AU series were taken out of potential release because of the sheer bad experience G Gundam had on TV. It only had 1 and a half cycles when it was on TV, not to mention it was during a sunspot time, and half of the country didn't even see the series. Then CN shuffled it off to the Midnight Run(remember that, kids?) and it didn't even get a full run either.

Since G didn't get respect, other AU series were dropped from release in favor of Seed.

Dunno why. Seed IMO is not exactly a good series. It only feels half done plot wise, and looks like an animation demo.
corrupt 12-18-2005 02:57 PM
what is gundam X
dominusofdeath 12-18-2005 03:27 PM
quote:
Originally posted by V.F.D
what is gundam X

It's called Google.

Honestly I blame SEED. Gundam X looks good. SEED however was not.
David Ryder 12-18-2005 04:04 PM
Well I can pretty much agree with everyone on it being push aside for SEED. As far a plot goes SEED had very little. Basically wing all over again, i.e uber one sided battles where the gundams are destoryed for a quick pointless upgrade. Also the charecter's where extreamly dull. Good thing the 3rd season of SEED got canned.
Paradigm Dog 12-18-2005 06:48 PM
SEED comment, New Gundam Policy, and basic idea of Gundam X:

SEED comment:
The funny thing is, I don't think SEED has exactly done stellar. They think because its new, its hot; but I'm not so sure. I know its the one official Gundam series that was almost painful to watch. I agree that SEED's plot is half-baked (as are a majority of its characters) and its animation is pathetic--espeically given Gundam's track record in that catagory. Gundam X's animation may be older year-wise, but quality-wise, from what Japanese trailers and screens I've seen, there's no comparison. Like Gundam Wing, it doesn't seem to have aged a day, looks to have great designs, and seems to have an intriguing story.

New Gundam Policy:
There's seems to be a new, radical Gundam policy forming at Bandai as of late. I read on GUNOTA Headlines that Bandai's seemingly thinking of possibly re-doing Gundam 0079 and Z-Gundam for a US audience with modern animation so people can be led into UC without being turned off by some of the older animation of the earlier series (which ironically still look much better than SEED). I think this idea is rediculous. Isn't this almost what SEED and SEED-D were--though not literally? Gundam 0079 is what it is--stop trying to redo it! Just release what you have and move on.

Basic idea of Gundam X:
Someone didn't know what Gundam X was. In basic, it's a 1996 Alternate Universe Gundam series that was made after Gundam Wing and looks amazing. It starts off with the space colonies having a successful mass colony drop on Earth and goes from there.
David Ryder 12-18-2005 07:11 PM
quote:
Bandai's seemingly thinking of possibly re-doing Gundam 0079 and Z-Gundam for a US audience with modern animation

Wow. I knew bandai did some stupid things with Gundam in the past but that take the friggin cake.

Also to expand on what gundam X is about for the folks that don't know what it's about.

Like the original the space revolutonary army drops not one but dozens of colonies on the earth killing 8 billion people, thus the world is redused to a mad max style world, with rival groups and such. Throw in newtypes, and UC inspired designs and you have gundam X.
BigPrime 12-22-2005 12:13 PM
PD, I think you're crossing two different trains of Bandai's thought. A few years back, Bandai considered a reanimated UC0079 for the 25th aniverssary, but SEED won out on that front (while UC Gundam got a reimagining in the For the Barrel serial novels in Newtype). More recently, Bandai has been talking of an American Gundam brand, but it wouldn't be UC to my knowledge. Just a brand of Gundam themed for American audiences. Still, I think this is unnecessary. Existing Gundam is fine, it just has to be marketed right. They need to get away from CN because CN's advertising and scheduling is terrible anymore. They need to reintroduce the American toyline and properly market it rather than deluging the shelves with G Gundam figures and no advertising.

Zeta itself is currently being reanimated in the form of its movie trilogy. I recently saw Heirs to the Stars on fansub and the new animation is most impressive, while the cleaned up old animation is quite nice as well (think of the cleanup job on the Zeta DVD openers). Presumably, the Zeta Movies will be released over here at some point as well, considering that the 0079 movies have been released several times (I wish they hadn't excised the dub, I kind of liked Steve Blum's Char and English!Bright, even if some of the translations are off) and SEED's movies are out as well.
David Ryder 12-22-2005 03:35 PM
quote:
(I wish they hadn't excised the dub, I kind of liked Steve Blum's Char and English!Bright, even if some of the translations are off)

Blum's Char was very nice indeed. also on that note bandai stop using Ocean, I like ocean but their Gundam dubs are generally poor. Their dub of the TV series was average at best, and Char's Counter Attack was decent.

quote:
Bandai has been talking of an American Gundam brand, but it wouldn't be UC to my knowledge. Just a brand of Gundam themed for American audiences.

As crazy as that sounds, the whole idea has me curious to what it would be about, if they actually went ahead with it.

quote:
They need to get away from CN because CN's advertising and scheduling is terrible anymore.

Agreed. Because even if new gundam did come one CN, it would most likey get put on before or after something like Naruto(*shudders*). It's funny that bandai wanted to put Zeta on CN at one point then they saw that the original sadly bombed. Shame to becauseIi have the boxset and it's pretty good but then again the kids and their need for pretty animation comes into play.
Paradigm Dog 12-23-2005 03:10 AM
quote:
Originally posted by BigPrime
PD, I think you're crossing two different trains of Bandai's thought. A few years back, Bandai considered a reanimated UC0079 for the 25th aniverssary, but SEED won out on that front (while UC Gundam got a reimagining in the For the Barrel serial novels in Newtype). More recently, Bandai has been talking of an American Gundam brand, but it wouldn't be UC to my knowledge. Just a brand of Gundam themed for American audiences...Zeta itself is currently being reanimated in the form of its movie trilogy.

I'm only slightly mixed up on my facts. I checked GUNOTA again to get the exact press release/interview (This is very interesting). I'm only posting the relevant parts. While the US Gundam is something that's being toyed with (the details are here), they're also toying with REDOING Universal Century AGAIN after the reduxed Zeta movies! (What are they thinking?!):

"It might be correct that we have to start from scratch for Gundam merchandising strategy in the US. One idea could be seriously thinking about a Gundam series for the US market. Of course, that series would have to be done so it can be reimported back to Japan. Gundam has a marvelous worldview, but bringing a series created in Japan with little North American style is difficult to sell.

It goes on to say:

Q - What you would like to do in the future as CGO?
Ueno - I believe the Gundam business is a straightforward challenge. If we could introduce the worldview of First Gundam and Zeta in a new form... like a new anime series or merchandise... As the CGO, I think about merchandise first though I would like to take the same approach with series and movie productions.

Gundam SEED is a wonderful series. I don't deny SEED's success, but I would like others to know about the origin more. Doing First with today's technology could be one way. Personally, I would like to dig deeper and express that worldview. If we can do that, more Gunpla and merchandise will follow.
David Ryder 12-27-2005 12:07 AM
Well according to Gunota Headlines, sunrise has ok'ed a 3rd SEED work. And the question is why? Do we really need ANOTHER season/movie/OVA of an already mediocore Gundam show? What more can they get outta of this Universe? More "clever" things like ZAKU and GOUF? SEED wasn't that great and well SEED destiny sucked after the first half, from then on it was "OMG, I'm shin, I'm a good guy....no wait die kira die die die!"
Paradigm Dog 12-27-2005 02:17 AM
Yes, I heard the news, too. I thought SUNRISE announced a month ago or so that the next Gundam series would not be CE. Guess they pulled a 360, because SEED is back to finish its trilogy. I guess they thought it would be an easier transition for viewers...better for sales and such. I'm disappointed. Unless they get a new director, I think Gundam's gonna be in a TV rut. SEED Destiny wasn't much different from SEED I've heard, and I barely got through SEED.

So what will this be...a ZZ equivalent for SEED. Or maybe Shin, Athrun, or Kira's Counterattack! lol. One board I read someone said they thought they heard it'd be called Gundam Eternity. Just a rumor, but sounds like it fits with the others...

So much for my much sought-after Gundam X Dub/North American release...ugh.
David Ryder 12-27-2005 02:53 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Paradigm Dog
Yes, I heard the news, too. I thought SUNRISE announced a month ago or so that the next Gundam series would not be CE. Guess they pulled a 360, because SEED is back to finish its trilogy. I guess they thought it would be an easier transition for viewers...better for sales and such. I'm disappointed. Unless they get a new director, I think Gundam's gonna be in a TV rut. SEED Destiny wasn't much different from SEED I've heard, and I barely got through SEED.

So what will this be...a ZZ equivalent for SEED. Or maybe Shin, Athrun, or Kira's Counterattack! lol. One board I read someone said they thought they heard it'd be called Gundam Eternity. Just a rumor, but sounds like it fits with the others...

or they could even end season 3 with yet another cliffhanger. so we have 3 50-52 episode tv series, and 3 movies. I just don't get what is so great about SEED. destiny was alrighty up until episode 15, then it became just a rehash of SEED.
Paradigm Dog 12-28-2005 01:38 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Gaddes
quote:
Originally posted by Paradigm Dog

or they could even end season 3 with yet another cliffhanger. so we have 3 50-52 episode tv series, and 3 movies. I just don't get what is so great about SEED. destiny was alrighty up until episode 15, then it became just a rehash of SEED.

I have to look on the bright side. As someone who greatly enjoyed Gundam Wing, maybe people will be nicer about Gundam Wing now? It made its splash, told its story straight through* and left the scene.

As for why SEED keeps going: it's very cartoony style is probably a little easier to animate and it already has a following. It was originally slated for a trilogy, so I hope they'll stop after that. From what I've seen (Season 1), the story is pretty straight-forward with tons of filler episodes to make sure all viewers know too much of what's going on at all time. I've heard that's popular in anime over in Japan these days--hence why BIG-O failed over there. Twisting politics from Gundam Wing aren't in style and neither is the more military-based, gritty UC-style with the mainstream market.

(*only had two clip episodes due to time constraints--the Episode Zero manga was supposed to fit in those and then there would have been NO filler. Shame that was never realized as it makes the characters easier to understand for the casual viewer).
David Ryder 12-28-2005 02:37 AM
It should also be know theres several manga side stories they could make in to show like Gundam Wing: G-Unit. It was a very nice change from the regular GW story line. also theres a Gundam X manga side story, they could animate that.
David Ryder 02-24-2006 05:31 PM
SEED OVA

Well atleast it's not another long winded, drawn out T.V series with a plot that was a complete rehash from the first SEED series. They also are going to milk it some more and release movie versions.
Paradigm Dog 03-06-2006 11:06 PM
quote:
SEED OVA Well atleast it's not another long winded, drawn out T.V series with a plot that was a complete rehash from the first SEED series. They also are going to milk it some more and release movie versions.

Yippee! lol. No, it is good that it isn't another LONG series...though one must wonder if this will start a trend of SEED OVA spinoffs ala 0083, 0080, 08th Team, etc for UC? And, 4 Destiny compilation movies?! From what I've heard about Destiny, it doesn't have enough good material to fill that time. You really didn't see G, Wing, or X throwing out compilation movies--why is SEED so special? It already has the record for a thousand recap clip episodes. Is this just Sunrise/Bandai trying to get a cheap buck? I understand it's a business, but I can't believe people would buy into 4 Destiny compilations. One or two, tops--and that's if you haven't seen the series, which I haven't, but I'm not excited for the deal anyways.

Gundam is getting stomped in this transition time. I got to see RahXephon last year--I know it's a somewhat different mecha genre--but that took all recent Gundam attempts compeltely to school. I know they're hard to compare, but I can legitamately and fairly say that in that the human drama, political-military organizations, animation, and dynamic action catagories, it was X-times better that recent Gundams--and some of these things, like human drama, are supposed to be the recent Gundam SEED's alleged strong point! Roll Eyes Gundam needs to step up its game... a lot. It seems very average right now. It it seriously slipping like ZOIDS did when it went to FUZORS.

There's that UC 'MS IGLOO' 3D CG OVA production out there in Japan, too, but that seems out of context with Gundam. It reminds me of a slightly better G-Saviour. I don't find it very compelling or Gundam-esque. It seems a moot topic for the UC story.

It never fails. Increasingly, I am wanting Gundam X in the US. Whatever shortcomings it may have, I feel it'll not only be enjoyable/emotional, but also seem like a true virtuoso Gundam piece given what Gundam has degraded into as of late.

However, SEED DESTINY and allegedly Gundam ZZ are the ones coming to the US. Correct me if I'm wrong, but by and large, aren't these lame duck Gundam series? Is this any way to spark interest in Gundam over here in the West?

...On top of all this, BIG-O 3 could be a beautiful reality if the powers that be at CN decided to put their weight behind it. Instead, it's been suppressed. Konaka-san has lots of other work to do, so I don't feel too bad for him, but it does seem like they dangled Season 3 in front of him and then pulled it away. I knowfor sure it feels that way as a viewer.

All right, end of rant....bring me my Gundam X! lol.
David Ryder 03-06-2006 11:48 PM
quote:
SEED DESTINY and allegedly Gundam ZZ

I pretty much knew DESTINY was coming out over here but ZZ? come on now bandai...ZZ is just plain awful until like episode 30 and not to mention Aztec space ninja's, that worship a broken down construstion MS as their god. I still hope one day bandai gets some damn sense and releases Gundam X over here.