Episode 40 Discussion: "The Scar"

Shredder 12-17-2005 09:54 PM
Drama, action, plot twists. Isn't this why we love FMA? Big Grin Enjoy.
R.Smith 12-17-2005 10:03 PM
Quick question, am I the only one who got a white/grey screen for a second or two around when Kimblee said "your not going to let her kill me kid?".
Jim Starluck 12-17-2005 10:31 PM
R.Smith: Nope, I did too.

Another quick question.

spoiler (highlight to read):
Did he say "Ultimate Lie" or "Ultimate Eye?" Either one would be appropriate...
MercZ 12-17-2005 10:43 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Starluck

Another quick question.

Yea, he said "Ultimate Eye".

So I guess that everyone pretty much saw it coming- The Furher was a Homunculi. He has the symbol on his eye. But what was his power? Being Ultra-Fast or able to predict his enemies' moves?

A very interesting episode. It revealed alot about the plot.
David Ryder 12-17-2005 11:28 PM
Indeed the best FMA episode I've seen in quite awhile.
AlexRosewater 12-17-2005 11:30 PM
That was a very powerfull episode with scar telling how his brother was useing Alchemy to make a
Philospher stone.
and what happend to Rose and Marda. It's one of the series best episode's I have seen yet... But know I am sad....
Sephiroth 12-17-2005 11:33 PM
quote:
Originally posted by MercZ
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Starluck

Another quick question.

Yea, he said "Ultimate Eye".

So I guess that everyone pretty much saw it coming- The Furher was a Homunculi. He has the symbol on his eye. But what was his power? Being Ultra-Fast or able to predict his enemies' moves?

A very interesting episode. It revealed alot about the plot.

Neither, he can see all probable outcomes for a situation and react before they occur. It's not only his enemies, he can see all possibilities in the world in general.

Anyway, great episode. Lots of information revealed, including the fact that the Fuhrer is Pride and has the "Ultimate Eye" (much like Greed's "Ultimate Shield, Lust's "Ultimate Lance", Envy's "Ultimate Mask" etc.).

Scar is using the philosopher's stone to kill off the military, and he is in fact connected to Lust. We also learned that his arm absorbs souls, which is interesting in and of itself. The fact that Kimblee gave him his scar is equally intriguing. Lyla's return is, I would assume, pretty significant too. One must wonder what she has to do with Rose, Scar, and Lior.

Kimblee is obviously up to know good, though the fact that Tucker only made defensive chimera's certianly seems strange. Plus, not only Kimblee, but also The Fuhrer (Pride) want Ed dead so they can start another war. Ominious no?

Oh, and I almost cried when Martel died. She was a great character, especially due to her ties to Greed. The way Al reacted was pretty heart wrenching too.

Finally, did anyone else like how protective Gluttony was of "his" Lust. It shows just how much he cares for her, especially interesting since he is a creature "without a soul".
NVWC2006 12-18-2005 12:05 AM
it's quite depressing, but the episode was still very good.

i haven't seen future episodes but i read up on it... kimbley is going to turn Al into a bomb, and Scar will save Al be successfully creating a Philosopher's Stone...which will be named Al...
R.Smith 12-18-2005 12:23 AM
I really don't get why Al didn't move when the
Fuhrer was sliding the sword down his "neck"
. Or was it all happening to fast?

In anycase, it was really sad to see
Martel get killed
, I mean I knew it was going to happen at somepoint, but I was hoping that it didn't happen for a while.

Why is it whenever FMA ends, the next Saturday can't come fast enough?
Volt 12-18-2005 02:06 AM
quote:
Originally posted by R.Smith

Yeah, I think he was shocked. That part made my heart stop for a second. He should have run...
Overall, great episode. Alot of stuff happened, and we learned a lot. Marta (psh, it sounds like Marta, I don't care) was gone too soon, but it was at least a good (i.e. shocking) death scene.
Was it just me, or did it look like
the blood on Scar's brother (after he tried to transmute his girlfriend) was coming from his junk? Uh whoa...
Hobodoken 12-18-2005 02:23 AM
Damn good episode.

Load of backstory, but really agrivating that they killed more awesome characters.

The fact that... (Damn I'm bad with names...) ...Ishbal girl with pink in her hair... is a mute now, has a kid and was probably raped was just... woah. Makes one understand why Scar wouldn't even hesitate to take hundreds of soldiers lives.
Sephiroth 12-18-2005 10:31 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Volt
quote:
Originally posted by R.Smith

Yeah, I think he was shocked. That part made my heart stop for a second. He should have run...
Overall, great episode. Alot of stuff happened, and we learned a lot. Marta (psh, it sounds like Marta, I don't care) was gone too soon, but it was at least a good (i.e. shocking) death scene.
Was it just me, or did it look like
the blood on Scar's brother (after he tried to transmute his girlfriend) was coming from his junk? Uh whoa...

It was. He lost his genitals in order to bring his lover back, like Ed lost his arm, and Izumi lost her organs.
Raven 12-18-2005 11:50 AM
Wow, it seems the creators of FMA just can't resist killing off every character they start to make interesting. I'm really beginning to lose interest in this show now. Martel was really given a shocking and sudden fate, much like Hughes was. I realy believe she deserved better than that after having survived the Greed incident.
Gato Gurl914 12-19-2005 09:32 AM
i cried. this whole eppisode was depressing. and it was clearly obvious what had made rose mute. scar's past is sad as well. but i wonder what made his hair turn white?
Schoolie 12-19-2005 11:13 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Raven
Wow, it seems the creators of FMA just can't resist killing off every character they start to make interesting. I'm really beginning to lose interest in this show now. Martel was really given a shocking and sudden fate, much like Hughes was. I realy believe she deserved better than that after having survived the Greed incident.

I agree wholeheartedly with this observation. That's one reason this show is a little lower on my favorite list.
Nine Kuze 12-20-2005 12:45 PM
A very interesting episode. Hey, can we refer to King Bradley as "Pride" now? That last scene was amazing with Pride showing off what's under his eyepatch, the Ultimate Eye. And just like Greed said a couple of posts ago, his Ultimate Eye gives him the ability to see all outcomes of all situations and events in life in general. If you think about it, kind of like Pegasus' in Yu-Gi-Oh...

Anyway, the way Pride took out Martel and the way Alphonse reacted... its a damn shame. Can you imagine the what the kid has been through. He's a 10 year old (technically 14) kid whose soul is trapped in an empty shell of armor and he had one of his friends get killed by a creature posing as the king and just had ordered his brother to be killed by a fellow soldier. Shocked That's messed up, no matter how you slice it.

Also, yeah, in the exchange Scar's brother gave up his gentials for Lust and he was trying to transmute myself into a Philosopsher's Stone but there weren't enough lives to complete it. Just wait for a couple more episodes for THAT. Also, the guy who Pride left in charge (Haruko) is an a**hole in my book.
When he was stationed in Liore, he kidnapped Rose and rapied her like there was no tomorrow. That's where Rose's baby came from, if anybody is wondering... I hope everybody knows that that's not really Lyra. It's Dante in Lyra's body. Poor girl... And if you guys are sick and tired of important role characters dying off fast, then you ARE NOT going to like what happens to Scar soon...

Peace.
Shredder 12-20-2005 11:58 PM
Just wondering in case I missed something. Where did you see that it was Haruko (the guy who the Fuhrer left in charge) who had attacked Rose? I thought it was just someone in the military but no one in particular.

This is definitely a "that kid's gonna be screwed up" episode in regards to Al. You just have to feel sorry for him after what happened to Martel and all he's gone through in the past. I thought the dub handled this one pretty well.
evanASF27 12-21-2005 01:03 AM
i found the episode to be...good (to say the least). There are a lot of mixed feelings and emotions as I continue watching FMA...so it's hard to tell what I feel each episode to be (with the exception of the Havok episode..."pomato"...that was insane).

I most truely feel sorry for Al, and am not too suprised at the Furher.
Though I do notice a theme here with nicknames... "Ultimate Shield", "Ultimate Eye", etc

Oh btw, I missed the first two minutes of this episode before the opening theme...both times... Can someone sum it up for me? (because it's been buggin me >,<)
Sephiroth 12-21-2005 10:22 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Shredder
Just wondering in case I missed something. Where did you see that it was Haruko (the guy who the Fuhrer left in charge) who had attacked Rose? I thought it was just someone in the military but no one in particular.

This is definitely a "that kid's gonna be screwed up" episode in regards to Al. You just have to feel sorry for him after what happened to Martel and all he's gone through in the past. I thought the dub handled this one pretty well.

Well, I don't remember where I read it, though I think it was in an episode summary somewhere, but I was under the impression that Haruko ordered it when he was in charge of Lior, though he did not actually participate, thus it was just someone in the military.
Miyavi 12-21-2005 12:15 PM
Pride "Ultimate Eye" and King Bradley the Fuhrer the same person.

He is also an humunculi.
His "Ultimate Eye" gives him the foresight to see all possible outcomes of a given situation, allowing him to predict the moves of any opponent before they happen.

Also he is
He is the string puller. He tells Sloth, Lust, Envy, Wrath and all other Humunculi what to do. He is killed by Roy Mustang, but Roy loses his eye in the process.