Animal Farm

corrupt 12-16-2005 05:45 PM
This is an animal farm thread...
Pygmalion 12-16-2005 07:03 PM
Animal Farm is an interesting book. I appreciated it more than the better-known 1984, and it influenced my libertarian leanings. It also inspired a motorcyclist's slogan: "Four wheels good, two wheels better!"

Pygmalion
NVWC2006 12-22-2005 09:50 PM
i have not read the book, myself, but i've heard alot about it when we read 1984 in school.

a plus i've heard is that it doesn't involve as much sex. and has animals. and who can say no to animals trying to have government?
Sharpshooter005 12-22-2005 10:28 PM
quote:
Originally posted by NVWC2006
a plus i've heard is that it doesn't involve as much sex. and has animals.

Not to sound insulting or anything, but...this is the most unintentionally hysterical line I think I've ever seen in a review of something.
Travis Bickle 12-23-2005 12:44 AM
quote:
Originally posted by V.F.D

What a way to start a thread.

I loved this book. It's my second favorite Orwell book of all time, next to 1984.
Zopwx2 12-23-2005 12:49 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Gonzo
quote:
Originally posted by V.F.D

What a way to start a thread.

I loved this book. It's my second favorite Orwell book of all time, next to 1984.

What's your 3rd favorite?

Anyway one of the better political allegories I've read.
Travis Bickle 12-23-2005 12:54 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Zopwx2
What's your 3rd favorite?

Coming Up For Air
NVWC2006 12-23-2005 02:12 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Sharpshooter005
quote:
Originally posted by NVWC2006
a plus i've heard is that it doesn't involve as much sex. and has animals.

Not to sound insulting or anything, but...this is the most unintentionally hysterical line I think I've ever seen in a review of something.

actually it was a bit intentional Wink

"Animal Farm is a thinly veiled critique and satire of Soviet totalitarianism. Many events in the book are based on ones from the Soviet Union during the Stalin era. (For example, the character Snowball, who is expelled from the Farm by Napoleon, is clearly modeled on Trotsky.) George Orwell, though a leftist – he was for many years a member of the Independent Labour Party – was a critic of Stalin, and suspicious of Moscow-directed communism after his experiences in the Spanish Civil War." -Wikipedia

sounds intriguing
corrupt 12-23-2005 11:18 PM
Yeah i had to read for skool so I bought it.
The Ghost of Ember 12-24-2005 12:10 AM
Animal Farm is a cool book, it doesn't list on my top favorites or anything, but I must say that it had a really cool ending. Which is actually kind of funny because none of the movie conversions of the book ever recreate said ending, even that the one that I think TNT did, which is humorous because they made such a big deal of 'being true to the ending of the original', and even noted the 'censoring' of the original quite prominently in it's making of documentary.
Sharpshooter005 12-24-2005 01:21 AM
Not to get too far off topic here..anybody ever read Burmese Days?

I think I heard somewhere it was part of a...very LOOSE trilogy. The books weren't supposed to be related in immidiate plot details. It was all loosely based on the progression of Burma (or so this interpretation goes)

Burmese Days would cover the colonial period

Animal Farm the time when the colonial rule ended

1984 as it did/could wind up.

Again, this is something I once heard a professor briefly mention, and I think even they mentioned it in the context of "this is something I'd just heard somewhere". So it might be totally wrong. I don't fully buy it, mainly because..well..the synopsis posted above about Animal Farm. Also I'm not really an expert in Burmese history.

edit: I'd try to feel special for mentioning an Orwell novel that nobody except me seems to have read (at least nobody I know..) but then Dr. Gonzo mentioned one I'd never even heard of. I fail at recreational pseudo-intellectualism.
Zopwx2 12-24-2005 03:39 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Sharpshooter005
edit: I'd try to feel special for mentioning an Orwell novel that nobody except me seems to have read (at least nobody I know..) but then Dr. Gonzo mentioned one I'd never even heard of. I fail at recreational pseudo-intellectualism.

Its not possible to fail, I mean with the wikipedia being one click away and all.