Country music!

Patsai 12-12-2005 11:53 PM
Yeah, call me a traitor if you want, but I've grown to like country music despite how much I've hated it for the longest time. I don't exactly know why, but in the past three months or so, I slowly got into it by a reference to a friend who did the same, and it soon came to me that I have a thing for the genre now.

I currently have Tim McGraw's "Live Like You Were Dying" CD, Toby Keith's "As Good as I Once Was" and "American Soldier", Gary Allan, and Johnny Cash just to name a few. Beyond that, do you guys recommend any other artists? (Bear in mind, I'm not up to Faith Hill-kind of country music yet, so avoid mentioning those if you can).
Sharpshooter005 12-12-2005 11:56 PM
quote:
recommend

Otherwise...yeah, nothing I guess.

I stick by my goal. Which is to instigate a massive, nationwide gang war between rap artists and country music stars. Mark my words...someday I'll get Kanye West and Garth Brooks to kill one another off. And the world will be a better place.
David Ryder 12-13-2005 01:06 AM
while not a country music fan, about the only person I can recommend is, like sharp brought up, is Johnny Cash.
Nine Kuze 12-13-2005 01:56 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Sharpshooter005
quote:
recommend

Otherwise...yeah, nothing I guess.

I stick by my goal. Which is to instigate a massive, nationwide gang war between rap artists and country music stars. Mark my words...someday I'll get Kanye West and Garth Brooks to kill one another off. And the world will be a better place.

You're a genius, man. A genius, man! I can picture it now; Cowboy Troy vs. Suge Knight, Ashanti vs. LeAnn Rimes, and Big and Rich in a tag team match to the death against the Young Gunz.

Yeah, I've noticed that the new trend is is that people who used to hate country are now into the stuff very much. I'm still not a music man myself but like Sharpie said, Johnny Cash is the man in the realm of country and he's the only who can get me to listen to country.

Kanye vs. Garth... That's the battle I'll be watching when Armageddon comes around.
Peace.
Kairi 12-13-2005 05:22 PM
Go listen to Alabama 3.

Sweet pretty goddamn country acid house music. If you've ever seen the Sopranos, you've heard them.
Sharpshooter005 12-13-2005 05:24 PM
quote:
If you've ever seen the Sopranos, you've heard them.

Are they the ones who do the music during the opening credits?
Kairi 12-13-2005 05:25 PM
Yes.
Generalissimo D 12-13-2005 06:45 PM
I want to see Tupac and Cash ressurect and go into a music studio with every concivable sound production device in there. Something good should come out of that.

Country music...meh. Lotta love songs and songs about being depressed. Not all that bad, just 90% of it makes me feel ill(I sh** thee not. I start feeling ready to projectile vomit when certain types of music is played.)

Cocaine Blues by far one of the most awesome songs ever.

Edit:The cover that makes the genre less idiotic. Click if your mature enough to handle the bird.
Sharpshooter005 12-13-2005 08:46 PM
I should have just posted that picture, yeah.
Nine Kuze 12-14-2005 09:39 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Zaphod Beeblebrox
I want to see Tupac and Cash ressurect and go into a music studio with every concivable sound production device in there. Something good should come out of that.

We can dream, man. We can dream...

And yeah, Cocaine Blues is one hell of a song.
Peace.
Sharpshooter005 12-14-2005 07:11 PM
quote:

I'm not really a big fan of Tupac, but if Zombie-Tupac and Zombie-Cash are a package deal. Like theres a label saying you can't seperate them for resale. Then I'd be on board with this.
corrupt 12-14-2005 07:45 PM
ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

I HATE COUNTRY MUSIC!!!

country music and musicals make me want to kill people, johnny cash is good but everyone else....
Sharpshooter005 12-14-2005 08:25 PM
Is the Neo image supposed to be part of the post...or...or is that your sig...

I'm seriously totally lost right now. Fittingly enough though I'm listening to "The man comes around" right now. So at least I FEEL like we're on track right now.

edit: This is another thing about Johnny Cash...the dawn of the dead remake would still have been good without that opening credit montage where that song played over footage of riots. But it would lack one part that literally made me kind of just sit upright and want to yell out "Dear God thats painfully awesome". Because when that came on was kind of when I knew I wouldn't regret paying to go see that, it was a good omen for how the remaining 80 or so minutes would go.

Fun fact, Cash wrote that song apparently after having a bizzare and apocalyptic dream.

Half his stuff is so dark (theres a song basically about tying a woman up and shooting her execution style with a submachinegun) that I think we should force people who identify themselves as emo or goth to listen to it. I mean just staple headphones onto them, and blast this stuff at the maximum volume. Merely to prove my theory that 99.99% of them will begin crying and begging for you to put on the alvin and the chipmunks album after five minutes.
Hanyou 12-16-2005 03:34 PM
Good idea...goths need to be put in their f***ing place.

Johnny Cash is simply the best, and that's indisputable fact.

But there's also Kenny Rogers and Willie Nelson. And I've grown to like Charlie Daniels and John Denver (though I honestly wonder if the latter is genuine country).

Toby Keith's alright, but most modern country is too...well...modernized.

But I've never understood why people hate country so much. Such disdain would be better directed toward hip-hop rand rap and that trash. But it seems as though people don't like actual MUSIC anymore.
Sharpshooter005 12-17-2005 04:06 PM
quote:
modern country

I wanted to draw some kind of line, denoting how far Johnny Cash really is from modern country.

Then I realized...for the line to be accurate in scale, your monitor would need to be the approximate length of an entire wall.

quote:
Good idea...goths need to be put in their f***ing place.

"CRAWWWWWLING INNNN MY SKIIIIINNNN"

That song, just an example since I don't really follow musical trends, is repugnant and cretinous tripe. If you feel it "speaks" to you, then you've probably never experienced any real pain or loss. You also, like me, probably come from a..mid to upper class background. And need to admit that nine times out of ten, your sadness is vapid and self-aggrandizing. It's not terribly hard to snap out of the funk sometimes and go "Okay, I've been kind of pretentious about this". Believe me, I find myself in that position alot. It's not hard and it's probably cathartic
corrupt 12-18-2005 02:15 PM
goths are usually rich people who have no problems so they just say they do for sympathy, i'm in high skool so i do know...
Travis Bickle 12-18-2005 02:35 PM
quote:
Originally posted by V.F.D
goths are usually rich people who have no problems so they just say they do for sympathy, i'm in high skool so i do know...

Funny, cause when I went to High School, I found that most goths were just white trash disguised as "death rockers" (or whatever they call themselves now).

Emo is the new goth, though.
Hobodoken 12-18-2005 03:00 PM
Emo isn't nearly as annoying as Goth.

Emo=depressed, wear girl pants, mostly alone, quiet

Goth=Wear all black, bastardize Tim Burton films, wear spikes, dudes wearing makeup, travel in packs, loud about how they're anti-conformists, most of those who I've encountered also reek of cigs, and one got hit by a girl driving because the little goth sophomore was sitting in a parking space.
corrupt 12-18-2005 03:27 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Gonzo
quote:
Originally posted by V.F.D

Funny, cause when I went to High School, I found that most goths were just white trash disguised as "death rockers" (or whatever they call themselves now).

Emo is the new goth, though.

But you are 19 or 20, your not at skool anymore... sure you were a few years ago but your not anymore...
The Ghost of Ember 12-18-2005 04:31 PM
I was raised on country music, however, that doesn't mean that I like it's current incarnation. The fact of the matter is country music has 'sold out' and become pop. Not good pop either, crappy pop. Nowadays you’re more likely to hear a synthesizer than a 'fiddle' in a country music song. As far as I can tell Johnny Cash fought this transition to the bitter end and was more or less ousted from the country music 'community' because of it, which is the cause of the advertisement that Zaphod posted.

Of course, then Big and Rich (by far one of the worst country bands ever to become popular) went and desecrated his memory by tying his name to a horrible song wherein they rapped (ROCK AND ROLE USED TO BE ABOUT JOHNNY CASH! OMG!!11one.). It wasn't even good rapping. I don't necessarily like rapping, but I do know it can be done well, and they failed. Garghlerarglebargle!

There's still some diamond in the rough, but otherwise country music is dead to me.