Shmups, Anyone?

Asirt 12-06-2005 10:12 AM
I don't know why, but shmups (shoot 'em up, or simply shooters) games have always been one of my favorite genres of gaming, and to this day, I still enjoy them. However, this type of gaming seems to have lost its popularity that it had years ago. Because of this, there aren't that many people left who are still enjoying shoot 'em up games.

Missile Command and Space Invaders (they're consider fixed and gallery shooters) were the very first shooters that I've played. It was very addicting in my opinion, and I always wanted to achieve a very high score. Although the graphics are now dated, they still have great gameplay.

Raiden II was probably the very first scrolling shooter that I've played. It was your typical shoot 'em up game with plenty of weapon power ups and upgrades. It was great for its time, and that game got me into scrolling shooters. Although I like the idea of having powerful upgrades, I also like having to use skill to master these games as well.

Currently, my favorite shooters are Ikaruga, Border Down, Fantasy Zone and just recently, AIRRADE. I'm mostly into shooters that not only have great gameplay, but also require some skill. I noticed there isn't a thread dedicated to shooters at all, so I'm wondering who have played shooters. What got you into shooters, and what are your favorite ones? You can also discuss about shooters here.
Travis Bickle 12-06-2005 10:23 AM
Fun Fact: My mom has the original Space Invaders arcade game/cabinet in her bedroom. Kinda odd, but meh.

And Ikaruga is an awesome game, as well.
Krang 12-06-2005 09:47 PM
I haven't played very many of them, but I do enjoy some of the older ones such as Galaga, Missile Command, Centipede, Space Invaders, and especially Sinistar. I'm not sure if these are in the same genre, but I'm also a fan of arcade shooters such as Police Trainer and Point Blank.
Travis Bickle 12-06-2005 09:50 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Krang
I'm not sure if these are in the same genre, but I'm also a fan of arcade shooters such as Police Trainer and Point Blank.

YES!

Point Blank was THE reason back in the day to go out and waste all your money on a GunCon! KRANG FOR THE WIN!
David Ryder 12-06-2005 09:55 PM
not a huge fan, but I like r-type and Gradius. also not sure if Time Crisis counts but those are pretty fun.
Mike 12-06-2005 10:24 PM
There was this one Genesis game, Steel Empire, I always liked. It was a shmup but it wasn't all outer spacey. It was more of a steampunkey theme. With giant flying battleships and what-have-you. Good stuff.